World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
yzabet

peanut butter

yzabet

So.

I was positively diagnosed with GHSVII a bit over a month ago. I've only had two partners since January, four since I became sexually active at 19 three years ago. Of those four, one was a virgin (seriously, had never even been naked in company in a sexual context), and the two since January have tested negative.

I'm blaming my first partner (with whom I've been off and on for years. mostly off) or an act of karma. I haven't even so much as seen this partner since summer last year. Karma's winning.

I never showed any symptoms, never had a yeast infection, never had any reason to question my good sexual health until last month. After indulging a spontaneous and not-at-all common desire for peanut butter. I ended up eating a lot of it in the preceeding weeks.

I've read that argenine is vital to herpes propagation and we all know how rich nuts, including derivatives like peanut butter, are in argenine.

I think it's safe to say that I only began breaking out thanks to that one weird craving.

Still debating whether I should be grateful or not. One the one hand, I know now. On the other, ignorance is bliss and I haven't been blissful sexually or in any other way since October. :\

Questions, comments, clarification?

luckyCat

Since its still early in the infection it could be peanut butter..or stress or just your body still trying to adapt to the presence of the virus. Initially (and still sometimes) getting my period could bring on an OB. Also, it took awhile for the outbreaks to reach their peak in terms of symptoms (It got a bit worse before it got better) Ive never rly observed any kind of strict diet in regards to Lysine or argenine. And I LOVE peanut butter...Im not sure I could ever let it go. Especially Trader Joe's Creamy Peanut Butter with Sea Salt...YUM!!!

yzabet

I've eaten some since diagnosis. About two weeks after the first outbreak I think I started a second (don't know if i was overreacting to a possible yeast infection or not), and I ate peanut butter during that interval (which is one reason why i thought i was starting another).

I had also started the first OB with my period, but I've had one since without a problem (though I've been taking acyclovir almost constantly since i got the 'scrip).

I'm wondering if I should lay off the medication for a bit. To see whether the things I might be overreacting to are actual precursors or just my paranoia. I do not ever want to have another full OB like before. It was miserable and I could barely move.

Guest AlUrker

Different things act as triggers in different folks... having said that I think you're the first one I've seen that attributes it to the peanut butter. ;) I'm glad it isn't one of mine, I'm with lucky, not sure I could let it go. As to whether to back off the meds, that's another individual choice. There are some who believe that it's better for the immune system to learn to deal with it on it's own and only start the drugs if it doesn't get you where you want to be. I feel like that for younger or healthier folks but if you have something else that taxes your immunity then the drugs are probably better from the jump.

yzabet

I just can't think of anything else I was doing out of the norm.

Having sex with the same guy. In the same ways. Having a menstrual cycle like normal. Same stress levels, no illness.

Woke up one morning during the peanut butter thing feeling sick as a dog, puked bile all over the floor and felt better, next thing I know there's a pimple looking thing in some awkward real estate followed by rash and discharge and ulcerated sores in the middle of my otherwise standard period.

I think that covers most of the triggers?

RealisticGal

I was positively diagnosed with GHSVII a bit over a month ago.

Questions, comments, clarification?

Question: What test(s) were done to diagnose GHSV2?

yzabet

The nurse practitioner at PPH took a swab from a couple of the open lesions below my waist.

I was already pretty sure I had what I had when I went in. Mostly I needed an official diagnosis to get the appropriate medication.

After reviewing what was going on that week and hearing that all of my partners have been tested and come up negative, I'm beginning to think it wasn't a dormant strain triggered by peanut butter. I was house-sitting that week and I had, one morning, grabbed the wrong towel getting out of the shower. I think the initial outbreak was triggered by actually contracting the virus that morning, from the towel.

yzabet

neither do i. but it's my last option unless my partners have lied about their results and i don't think my sanity could take that.

so.

towel it is.

i suppose this is wandering pretty far off topic for this particular part of the boards.

RealisticGal

After reviewing what was going on that week and hearing that all of my partners have been tested and come up negative, I'm beginning to think it wasn't a dormant strain triggered by peanut butter. I was house-sitting that week and I had, one morning, grabbed the wrong towel getting out of the shower. I think the initial outbreak was triggered by actually contracting the virus that morning, from the towel.

Not at all likely. Even a towel that had been recently used by someone who has HSV, I mean a towel still moist from that person's use, would be an unlikely source.

But you were house-sitting? You grabbed the "wrong" (one assumes long dry) towel? HSV virus does not tolerate drying.

Did I share Dr. Handsfield's knol with you yet? If not, here is the pertinent snippet:

"Sexually transmitted bacteria do not tolerate drying, do not survive in microscopic droplets, and have evolved for survival in the genitals or rectum. Therefore transmission cannot occur through the air or through non-intimate personal contact, but instead requires the overt exchange of genital secretions or the direct contact of moist genital surfaces — that is, sex. Some STD pathogens, in particular HIV and HBV, also circulate in the blood and can be transmitted by exposure to blood or by organ transplantation. Transmission by routes other than sex occurs only through other “intimate” exposures, as when babies are infected in the uterus or during labor and delivery. Transmission does not result from contact of infected secretions or blood with intact skin, by airborne exposure, or by shared toilet seats, moist towels, or intimate clothing. The latter have been invoked through history as face-saving explanations, but they have no basis in fact."

RealisticGal

After reviewing what was going on that week and hearing that all of my partners have been tested and come up negative, I'm beginning to think it wasn't a dormant strain triggered by peanut butter.

I'm picking on your wording here, just to be clear.

You say you "heard" that your partners all tested negative.

But have you actually SEEN any of their test printouts?

You know the saying, "trust but verify?"

That's what I would want to do. :hmmmm2:

yzabet

yes, heard. call me dumb if you like but i do trust all of them for a variety of well-founded reasons. i accept their words as truth. also, one lives in florida and i don't think the others got printouts. i know i didn't and i referred us to the same place. probably also a dumb for not requesting mine and everyone else's paperwork but i had bigger things on my mind at the time.

i think this may be getting off topic for this part of the board and don't want to get in trouble for that or for constantly harping on this one note. this source-hunting business is, i understand, not the most acceptable sort of behavior here. i'm not really obsessing, or particularly angry anymore. i'm just trying to understand transmission a bit better given what i believe are accurate parameters. someone on another thread brought up an interesting possibility. i have no idea if it's factual or conceivable or complete hogwash but it makes a lot more sense than the towel given that i do believe i've not been lied to by my partners.

http://www.herpes-coldsores.com/messageforum/showthread.php?43317-negative-partners....&p=238491#post238491

probably grasping at straws. i'm sure once i get enough negative feedback about this i'll leave off.

luckyCat

I don't think there's any crime in wondering who the source of your infection might have been. But youre probably wasting your time if youre not prepared to also take into account that possibly (a) a past partner knew their status and lied to you up front or by omission, or (B) your giver was asymptomatic and simply didnt know that they were infecting other people.

RealisticGal
yes, heard. call me dumb if you like but i do trust all of them for a variety of well-founded reasons. i accept their words as truth. also, one lives in florida and i don't think the others got printouts. i know i didn't and i referred us to the same place. probably also a dumb for not requesting mine and everyone else's paperwork but i had bigger things on my mind at the time.

i think this may be getting off topic for this part of the board and don't want to get in trouble for that or for constantly harping on this one note. this source-hunting business is, i understand, not the most acceptable sort of behavior here. i'm not really obsessing, or particularly angry anymore. i'm just trying to understand transmission a bit better given what i believe are accurate parameters. someone on another thread brought up an interesting possibility. i have no idea if it's factual or conceivable or complete hogwash but it makes a lot more sense than the towel given that i do believe i've not been lied to by my partners.

http://www.herpes-coldsores.com/messageforum/showthread.php?43317-negative-partners....&p=238491#post238491

probably grasping at straws. i'm sure once i get enough negative feedback about this i'll leave off.

I don't think anyone called you dumb, yzabet.

You want to figure out when/from whom you acquired HSV, like so many others who come here. We've been trying to help you figure out how it could be possible that all of your limited partners have tested negative.

However, you are correct that in many cases it is very difficult to figure out the source. You would think your case would be a bit easier, but apparently that is not the case.

On the flip side, MANY people here do have reason to be less trusting of their fellow humans than you apparently are of these four men. MANY people here have been flat-out lied to by partners who knew they had HSV and claimed they did not. So yes, it is not surprising that some of us might question the honesty of your partners.

But only you know those guys personally. None of us do. We're just trying to help you figure it all out.

:wavey: