World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
pandora77

7 months pregnat with genital herpes

pandora77

Hi everyone,

I am new here as you can see. I found out that I have genital herpes back in July during my first prenatal visit. I was shocked and I felt so embarrassed. The doctor ordered a blood test to confirm it and turned out that I have had it for quite sometime. I just ended up getting my first outbreak now. I have been married for 7 years and never have cheated. I know my husband has been faithful too, so I must have had the virus for over 8 years and just now did I know. The doctor told me since I am pregnant it lowers my immunity therefore I am getting the outbreaks now. weird because i have been pregnant twice before in the last 4 years and never had one then. Oh well, I guess there is a first for everything.

It just has been so uncomfortable with all these outbreaks!! I swear I have had about 7 since being diagnosed and they seem to just linger!! I am so scared that it might harm my baby, but reading info about it I know it doesn't. My Doctor prescribed Valtrex for me at 20 weeks pregnant to deal with the outbreaks, and just now (at 27 weeks) I have decided to take it because I do not know the harm it can cause to the baby. Also, I am worried with the rate of outbreaks I have been having that I will have to undergo a C-section, and I have never had one before. I am just so scared. Would like any feedback from those of you who have gone through the same as me. Thanks!

JBnATL

Well I have not gone through what you are going through, however I have chatted with many pregnant women on this site and you really have nothing to worry about. Valtrex can do no harm to your baby so don't worry about taking it.

Every day thousands of women who have babies give birth to healthy babies. You should be fine.

Come to the "Chat Room", there you will find many nice fellow Herpsters who can offer you their support.

Good luck!

JB

pandora77

Hi JB,

Thanks for the reply. I am getting more and more comfortable with taking my daily Valtrex. I will check out the chat rooms, too! :-)

sportygurl

I apologize for asking this if it seems insensitive... did you have two other kids or were you pregnant before? If you had them and they're ok, that's awesome! If you didn't, I'm sorry for your loss... the reason I ask is because with this one since you know about it, I'd almost guarantee you'll be fine and so will baby! I had a c-section with baby #1. it's really not that bad. Other than the epidural, I think I'd prefer it! But this time I want to vbac, so we shall see. good luck!

pandora77

Hi Sportygurl,

Your question isn't insensitive at all. What I meant is that I contracted the virus about 8 years ago or more. I have been with my husband for a total of 7 years. Since then I have had two children (never had an outbreak/never knew I had the virus). Now I am pregnant with baby #3, got my first outbreak when I was 8 weeks pregnant, and I didn't know what it was. When I went to my first prenatal my OB told me it looked like a herpes blister. He did a blood test and it came back positive, which meant I have had the virus for quite sometime. With this pregnancy I have had alot of outbreaks. Now I am taking Valtrex (kinda helps), and I am worried that I will have an outbreak during labor, since these ones seem to linger for a long time (even with Valtrex). The OB told me pregnancy lowers your immune system, so that is why I have had my outbreak and found out that I have the virus. He also told me that you can have the virus in you for quite awhile and it just lies dormant for awhile then it hits all of a sudden during right conditions. The thing that boggles my mind is that I have never had them with my other two. I know that my husband has been faithful, so that is why I know it had to have been over 8 years that I contracted the virus because I have been faithful to my husband as well.

Thanks for wondering though, and offering positive support. :-)

ssiicc

Our stories are similar. My husband and I have been together for 7 years and I was just diagnosed during pregnancy. This was my second baby. I was so terrified I could give it to him and cried so much during pregnancy. I delivered my baby this month via c section. Recovery has been hard, but I believe I had an outbreak around 38 weeks and it was too close for me to deliver vaginally. Our child is perfectly healthy and BEAUTIFUL! Yours will be too. Just make sure you tell your doctor if you think you are having an outbreak close to delivery.

Harveycat

Hi I have a 4 month old and took Valtrex and delivered naturally and my little man is fine. I do worry about every little spot he gets. I know how you feel I was worried while I was pregnant and I am still taking valtrex now as I am having constant outbreaks honestly I havn't had a break since he was 3 weeks old. The mother safe hotline said it was safe to take while breast feeding.

dontbeafraid

Hi

I sympathize for your story it is similar to mine. I had two children with HSV 2 and they are perfectly normal and healthy. Trust in your body. Listen to it and do whats best for it. Drink lots of water, take lysine supplements in the last weeks of pregnancy 500-1000mg daily, limit caffeine, chocolate and nuts, also avoid too much sunlight. It seems that sunlight when UV rays hit skin it triggers the virus and it no longer stays dormant. Yes, you can feed the virus by giving it Arganine rich foods, that can provoke an outbreak or prolong one, however a diet rich in protein and dairy should help against it. Also leafy greans. Anyway. Im a data and research freak to say the least, just arm your arsenal with information it was the greatest comfort for me. I was scared having had an outbreak two wks before my D date. But I wouldnt opt for a c section just because of it. I had the virus for over 6 years which gives your child the optimal protection against the virus being transmitted to baby. She was born a very short delivery, that too can play a huge role in transmission. If you read information that would suggest if virus is present and you are virally shedding during delivery, your dr should be aware of the risks after the membranes are ruptured which make the child more suseptible to contraction. Of course this is worse case scenario. However, even if you are virally shedding and you are in labor for many hours with membranes ruptured, your child is getting a sea of antibodies protecting them from the virus. I do worry from time to time about my little ones, but its just in our nature to worry. Whether its about them running out in the street or falling down stairs. . . Just trust in your body. If you do whats best for it, it will guide you. Look online for the mecca of information and data, create a log around times you feel like your getting an outbreak. Be aware of false outbreaks, in where you are getting tingling sensations but not getting any show of blisters. I went to spain and basqued in the sun too long and got an outbreak literally days after. Every time I go into the sunlight it kills me. So its good I live in a cold damp rainy place lol! Good luck love and many blessings, just keep the faith in your beautiful body god gave you. He made us well.

Here2Share

Has your husband been tested? If not, he should be. Idk if you have type 1 or 2 but type 1 is a lot easier to pass because you can get it from something as simple as a kiss. I'm sure you know type 1 usually affects the oral region but can affect you genitally as well. If your husband has it and it is in fact type 1 look up "shedding". Basically, you can pass the virus on without having symptoms. So it's possible that your husband just recently gave it to you unknowingly but it's also possible that you've had it for years but it's more probable that you just recently contracted.