World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
PositivelySkinny

Valtrex amout question

PositivelySkinny

Hi All,

I first noticed my 1st outbreak on my penis 5 days ago in 3 small spots (Wednesday). To the best of my knowledge this is my first outbreak. I saw the Dr on Friday and he swabbed the area for testing and put me on Valtrex as a precaution. The amount is 1G 3 times a day for a week. I read that usually the amount is no more then 2x a day for Genital herpes. He said Valtrex is hard on the liver. It's Sunday and and I basically have cleared up except for a small skin discoloration in those areas. My questions are:

1 Does the amount I'm taking seem proper? 5'7" Male 220 lbs if it matters

2 Is an increased dosage commonly used in a first outbreak?

3 I know you will say call the DR, but... should I continue taking it for the full week or is it common to stop treatment when the signs are gone?

I'm still waiting for the lab results. Thanks in advance!

zenacat

PS-"call the dr", okay-now that's outta the way.....I will only share what I have read online today.

1)I believe there is an initial dosing for 1st outbreaks and then a different dosing for suppression (keep from coming back)

2)without looking back online--I know one was higher/more frequent than the other-can't remember which one though-sorry

3)I read not to stop taking during your dosing bc it might make it come back stronger/more frequent

Again-just what I read online.......I was searching "valtrex high blood pressure" when I found it.

Hope this makes sense:)