World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Surviving

Emotional Roller Coaster

Surviving

Hi there,

I was recently diagnosed with genital HSV 1 about 2 weeks ago. My OB was not too bad and really not very painful, but the emotional roller coaster I have been on has been extremely painful.

The 1st guy I have sex with after my divorce and boom this is what I get hit with? Yikes. I feel so hopeless, shitty, and sad. I told him what happened (in person) and he was extremely supportive and hugged me and kissed me and encouraged me and still wanted to see me. We don't even know if he gave it to me, as he claims he's never had a cold sore. Anyway, it doesn't matter where I got it from, it still sucks and I am having a lot of emotional issues because of this diagnosis. I feel like I'm in survival mode, only taking care of my basic needs. I don't feel like I'm living. I am normally a very happy, confident, strong woman, but at the moment I feel so down, I feel unrecognizeable to myself. My family is very worried about me as they live so far away. I'm worried about how long I am going to feel this devastated. I do see a therapist once per week...hoping that helps me through this process.

Does anyone have any advice, suggestions, and/or stories of hope to share with me? I could really use a pick me up right now.

Thanks!

Number7
Hi there,

I was recently diagnosed with genital HSV 1 about 2 weeks ago. My OB was not too bad and really not very painful, but the emotional roller coaster I have been on has been extremely painful.

The 1st guy I have sex with after my divorce and boom this is what I get hit with? Yikes. I feel so hopeless, shitty, and sad. I told him what happened (in person) and he was extremely supportive and hugged me and kissed me and encouraged me and still wanted to see me. We don't even know if he gave it to me, as he claims he's never had a cold sore. Anyway, it doesn't matter where I got it from, it still sucks and I am having a lot of emotional issues because of this diagnosis. I feel like I'm in survival mode, only taking care of my basic needs. I don't feel like I'm living. I am normally a very happy, confident, strong woman, but at the moment I feel so down, I feel unrecognizeable to myself. My family is very worried about me as they live so far away. I'm worried about how long I am going to feel this devastated. I do see a therapist once per week...hoping that helps me through this process.

Does anyone have any advice, suggestions, and/or stories of hope to share with me? I could really use a pick me up right now.

Thanks!

Surviving238420 - Like you I was married many years and did not take long to "acquire" this virus. Just remember - you are not the virus - you are the same as you always were. One good way to look at it is you will be very careful in the future of who you sleep with so as hopefully, not to catch Hpv (which could give you cancer) or HIV (which you could die from) - having this virus is a good way to see who really "cares" and "wants" to be with you.

Best of luck to you - Time will help you deal with this.

Surviving

Thanks for your reply. I hope to some day very soon feel like me again. I of course practiced safe sex (condoms) with this guy I am seeing, every time. It just unfortunate that he had no oral symptoms, we had oral sex, and now I have hsv 1. Who knows, I could have had this darn thing for quite some time and I didn't even know. Anyway, thanks for your support.