World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
niceguy

100% effective condom or barrier?

niceguy

I know a condom isn't 100% effective if the lesion is outside of the area covered by the condom. Is any type of barrier available for men which also covers the surrounding area around the penis? Something like a condom that also has a wide base area which covers the outer areas. I know this sounds extreme but what about some type of underpants that incorporates a condom all made of the same condom material? I just really must have a 100% effective way of not transmitting HSV2 via intercourse with my present partner.

Toro

I can't imagine myself putting that type of condom since I have problems with the actual ones...

niceguy

Toro, I agree. I also can't imagine giving hsv2 to the person I'm seeing. I know there are other things we can safely do to each other but she (and I) would like to have intercourse. At this point in our relatively new relationship, if I can't find something 100% effective we'll have to forego anything risky. I'd feel horrible if I infected her. I had "the talk" early in our relationship and she didn't blink an eye and said she loves me no matter what. But I want to do everything I can to make sure she doesn't get it.

HT75

Do you have the H2 or your partner? You do not need to be so extreme. Reguler Condom is enough if you abstein during initial rash and blister. Also if you accept some one with H2 or someone accepts you both of you need to accept there will always be a risk of getting it and when you do that you would not think about special condom pants:D . Sex between you two should remain as normal as possible:) to maintain a good relationship.

Toro

What about taking the suppresive therapy? I am on 2X500 mg Valtrex for aprox. a year ...I think that works for the shedding?

luckyCat

Using condoms and taking Valtrex are two really good ways to stack the deck in your favor, but the baseline is there is no 100% foolproof method of insuring a partner wont get it.

niceguy

Luckycat, your single sentence sums it up accurately. My partner is OK with playing the odds when all the ideal conditions lessen the chance of her getting herpes from me but I'm not OK with taking the chance of giving them to her. Ah, well, there's safe stuff we can do in the meantime until someone finds a foolproof method of 100% prevention.

amebix

Hi there,

Female condoms are the most effective condoms out there. Although nothing is 100%, a female condom covers a lot more surface area than a male condom.

It is a latex "tube" that is inserted in the vagina, the rim then sits on the outside and covers most of the outer labia. If you are not having an outbreak, taking antiviral herbs (such as olive leaf or oil of oregano) or a suppressive drug, and using a female condom the chances of spreading herpes to your partner is slim to none. But like I said, nothing guarantees total safety, so as long as your partner is aware of this, then you should be fine. I also recommend investing in some high quality lube, to reduce the chances of condoms breaking.

Hottfoxxy

It's just sad that we can't enjoy sex and have a normal healthy sex life anymore because were so worried about infecting someone fml

amebix

I disagree with the statement that we can't have a normal healthy sex life. It's just a little more complicated and we have to be a little more cautious. I've had GHSV-1 for under 2 months now and i've told one partner who doesn't mind at all, he just wants to be careful too. We've had sex twice and both times were just as awesome and fulfilling as times when I had sex pre herpes. I feel like as long as we are honest with partners about our status then everything else will fall into place. There are a lot worse things out there than herpes.

HT75

I totaly agree! Sex is as normal as pre herps dayz and it is better sometimes as you know you care about the other person more(when you have told them). Seriously some of the posts here seems to me are written by people who are a bit immature and not well informed and they are writing scary experience and comments and making partners of Herpes cariers scared. It is not a big deal. Like anything.......ACCEPTENCE of the fact will make life easier. And almost all of us talking about it cos of our partners and sex life.SEX LIFE IS NORMAL AND GOOD, TRUST ME.

Hottfoxxy

I'm far from immature I'm 37 yrs old and I have had this virus over 6 yrs Now.. Not everyone deals with it as easy as others and it doesn't make anyone immature or not knowledgable about the virus... There are people that are willing to accept ur disease as others that are not and that's a given but it doesn't sit well with me that regardless of how many precautions I take I am still able at any point able to pass this on.. As a mature grown educated woman it scares me and I do not want to infect anyone with this virus alot of people suffer differently with it.. Not only physically but emotionally and I have had a ruff time with it it's been one yrs today that I actually came out and told my mom that I have this.. I have carried this heavy burden around this dreaded secret for years and it has been painful.. Everyone is different and I commend those who have gotten better over it I actualyy envy them,, and am happy for them some of us still and maybe never will accept it or process it and as human beings we are intitiled to our feelings..

RealisticGal

I do not believe that even this product would reduce the chance of transmission to zero, but here you go:

http://latexboxers.com/product.html

:wavey:

Hottfoxxy

Thanks RG yeah the price not so much and dressing up like a freak just to enjoy the pleaure of sex I would feel more line a leaper than ever!!!! :(

luckyCat

Hotfoxxy, if youre still feeling like a leper in regard to sex, have you thought about getting counseling or attending a support group to further address those things? Shortly after I 1st contracted H, I sought counseling and it did wonders.

Richard Pryor
I do not believe that even this product would reduce the chance of transmission to zero, but here you go:

http://latexboxers.com/product.html

:wavey:

lmao. I can imagine showing up with that shit to the bedroom. Total turnoff.

Hottfoxxy

Yes therapy did nothing sad to say... No one wants to contract a disease that puts painful sores on ur privates.. I know if I had the choice to do it again I would run like hell.. I hate h with all I have

RealisticGal
lmao. I can imagine showing up with that shit to the bedroom. Total turnoff.

Of course, there is a small segment of the population that would find it a big turn on. :dong:

Personally, I can't think of any better way to shout to your partner that you view him or her as a HazMat incident.

There are members here who have said in the past they were actually planning to use this stuff, though. To each her own, I guess. :laugh:

HT75

OMG!!!!

the max i'll go is condom only...latex gives me allergys so reguler one........those boxers looks so funny...

15 years with H2 and for me i never needed those extreme measures. i would rather go without sex i guess if i had to see someone on those.

BOTTOM LINE IS...SUPPRESIVE MEDICATION, ABSITENCE DURING OB AND CONDOMS IF YOU ARE NOT PLANNING BABIES. NO NEED FOR THOSE FUNNY STUFFS.

Life is great when you love someone and accepted as a whole with or without your H2:)

niceguy

A little background: I'm 57, got H2 33 years ago from a nurse I was dating who didn't feel it was necessary to mention she had H2. After that I was always honest with my partners and none ever let it get in the way of starting a relationship with me. While taking all the precautions, I gave H2 to my wife during the first month of dating. We stayed together for 25 years. I'm now single again and have met a wonderful woman who doesn't have any issues with my having H2 but I'm determined not to give it to her. Since I didn't have to deal with transmitting it during my 25 year marriage, I didn't look into any info regarding advances made in treating H2. My purpose with the original post was to find out if there was any fool-proof method of having 100% safe intercourse. Thanks for all your responses.

RealisticGal
A little background: I'm 57, got H2 33 years ago from a nurse I was dating who didn't feel it was necessary to mention she had H2. After that I was always honest with my partners and none ever let it get in the way of starting a relationship with me. While taking all the precautions, I gave H2 to my wife during the first month of dating. We stayed together for 25 years. I'm now single again and have met a wonderful woman who doesn't have any issues with my having H2 but I'm determined not to give it to her. Since I didn't have to deal with transmitting it during my 25 year marriage, I didn't look into any info regarding advances made in treating H2. My purpose with the original post was to find out if there was any fool-proof method of having 100% safe intercourse. Thanks for all your responses.

The simple answer to your question about fool-proof 100% "safe" intercourse ----

No.

HT75

Hi Niceguy,

100% way to safe sex...NONE YET. UNFOrTUNATELY. but...

Valtrex once a day : the best supressive which keeps your OBs almost at bay so less chances.

Condoms : If you are not planning babies.

No Sex/foreplay : If you have a OB or feeling that you are about to have an OB till the redness after an OB disappears.

Hope this helps. My ex did not get for 4 years into the relationship from me. he only got it when I was about to have a OB and thought it would be safer. He stayed 6 more years after that with me.

Good Luck.

ABOUT NOT DISCLOSING ABOUT HERPES. I KEEP ON MEETING GIRLS AND BOYZ PERSONALY WHO THINKS OF IT AS NORMAL AS YEAST INFECTIONS AND TELLS ME THEY WOULD NOT TELL THEIR PARTNERS AS THEY THINK IT IS NO BIG DEAL. SO PEOPLE WILL KEEP GETTING INFECTED. BUT IF I DECIDE NOT TO DISCLOSE, SOMEONE WILL SHOOT ME IN MY HEAD. IRONY!

niceguy

HT75: This quote from your message is what concerns me about the whole issue of safe intercourse: "he only got it when I was about to have a OB and thought it would be safe." Sometimes it's impossible to tell when an OB will strike. You can physically feel fine but the OB might already be starting just enough to infect someone else during intercourse. Unfortunately, you can never be 100% sure even with all the precautions presently available.

HT75

Dear Nice Guy............Yes.....that is the thing concerns us all and that is why the TALK is so important and how you put everything on the table for your partner to choose! Hard and heart breaking it is for all of us H2 sufferers but we all had to do it and have to do it and the person who takes the risk the person who really has fallen for us and sees us beyond the risk and the pain. None of us wanted to give this to our partners but Love is such a thing.....makes you selfless and selfish at the same time......(sigh)!

RealisticGal
HT75: This quote from your message is what concerns me about the whole issue of safe intercourse: "he only got it when I was about to have a OB and thought it would be safe." Sometimes it's impossible to tell when an OB will strike. You can physically feel fine but the OB might already be starting just enough to infect someone else during intercourse. Unfortunately, you can never be 100% sure even with all the precautions presently available.

Actually, the period right before actual lesions form --- when a person is feeling prodrome symptoms --- is probably the most likely time for HSV to be transmitted. (i.e. the "least safe" time)