World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
GreenEyedGal

Needing some advice

GreenEyedGal

I was officially diagnosed about a week ago (I contracted it from an ex who had lied to me the entire time we were together), had my first ob start about 4 weeks ago and it lasted 3 weeks (very painful). I am seeing a wonderful man, and we have sat down and had "the talk". He still wants to date me, and says we will work around and through this. He also continues to talk in future type terms, so it seems we both see a long future together. My question is, I have been without symptoms for around a week, and even though he and I have not had sex yet. We keep moving closer and closer to that point. I have been taking vit c, lysine, among other herbs shown to help. I cannot get on meds until after Jan (when my insurance kicks in). I guess my question is, should we just wait until I get on meds? How will I know if Im in an ob or not (I have read symptoms decrease substantially after the first ob). I am just trying to get as much information as I can, and be as educated on all of this as possible. Any advice or information is much appreciated

JBnATL

Walmart and many pharmacys have acyclovir for $4 and that is without insurance. This article talks about transmission rates:

www.hsvblog.org/herpes-simplex-virus-hsv-101

Print that out and show it to him. It really isnt easy to pass along.

Come to the "Chat Room", there you will find many nice fellow Herpsters who can offer you their support.

Good luck!

JB

wastedhousewife

I am so glad that you are with someone who is so understanding and supportive - it is what you deserve! It is more difficult for a man to catch an STI from a woman than the other way around. Just make sure you are not experiencing any symptoms, and at least use condoms until you are able to get on suppressive meds. Even if he does get herpes, it is not the end of the world. I know it seems like a lot right now, but once you and your body adjust to the virus, it really will not be that big of a deal. If you are low income, call your local Planned Parenthood and tell them the situation and that you just need a prescription for acyclovir to get you through January - I bet they will help you. JBnATL is correct about the Walmart price - and for that I get a 30 day supply. It will be worth your peace of mind in the long run, I am sure!