World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
hypochondriac88

I am really worried.

hypochondriac88

I have been suffering with hsv1 since I was a young girl. Pretty sure my mom gave them to me, she gets them on her lips. I never used to get one more than twice a year, but now it seems to have changed.

I have had maybe 6 outbreaks in the last year. One came right after a previous one healed, which has never happened to me before. All on my lower lip. I don't think I have ever had one on the upper lip or chin or nose, but I'm not sure because you can never be sure with hsv.

I woke up yesterday with what felt like a weird small blister on my gum, about half an inch above my tooth on the inside of my mouth. I scratched at it, but it is still there. My dentist said it could be a canker sore, but I read that those don't occur on the hard parts of your mouth. Is it possible I have a cold sore inside my mouth? How can i know? It says online that having them in your mouth is rare, but rare doesn't mean impossible.

I have been trying to deal with having cold sores, but I am really struggling. I feel gross and diseased. I am sexually active, but always worry I am going to transmit it. I really enjoy giving oral sex but it makes me sooooo nervous.

Please help, I feel like I'm drowning in this feeling. Super sad panda.

RealisticGal
I have been suffering with hsv1 since I was a young girl. Pretty sure my mom gave them to me, she gets them on her lips. I never used to get one more than twice a year, but now it seems to have changed.

I have had maybe 6 outbreaks in the last year. One came right after a previous one healed, which has never happened to me before. All on my lower lip. I don't think I have ever had one on the upper lip or chin or nose, but I'm not sure because you can never be sure with hsv.

I woke up yesterday with what felt like a weird small blister on my gum, about half an inch above my tooth on the inside of my mouth. I scratched at it, but it is still there. My dentist said it could be a canker sore, but I read that those don't occur on the hard parts of your mouth. Is it possible I have a cold sore inside my mouth? How can i know? It says online that having them in your mouth is rare, but rare doesn't mean impossible.

You are correct. Rare does not mean impossible, and HSV is a sneaky little bastard of a virus that didn't read any rule books. So it is possible. The problem is, there are other things that could cause similar symptoms. The only way you could know for sure if those symptoms are being caused by HSV would be to get a swab/culture done of a sore when it is fresh.

I have been trying to deal with having cold sores, but I am really struggling. I feel gross and diseased. I am sexually active, but always worry I am going to transmit it. I really enjoy giving oral sex but it makes me sooooo nervous.

Oh, hon. You are not "gross and diseased."

You have a very common virus that about 80% of adults in North America share. It is just that --- a virus not all that different from the flu or chickenpox.

And it doesn't usually cause anything more than a skin irritation. Actually, in the majority of those who have it, it either causes no symptoms at all or symptoms that are so mild they are not even recognized.

As far as you being sexually active --- do you inform your intimate partners about this before you "get busy?" If you do, then the choice is theirs to make. I believe it should always be disclosed prior to intimate contact.

You can also lower the chances of transmission by using daily antiviral medications. That is a decision you and your partner can make.

Just keep in mind, so many people around you already have this. When you tell them you will probably find that it isn't an issue in many cases.

:wavey:

hypochondriac88

Thank you for your reply.

I take repressive therapy daily, 1 gram tablets of Valacyclovir. I don't know if it's working though. The only times I have been sure that stuff worked was when I already had the bump rising and painful, I would take four pills a day for a few days and it wouldn't erupt (which is very nice).

I do try and tell people I am with that I have it, but it's usually after we've messed around and I feel so guilty. I am afraid they won't want to be with me because I have it. Most guys have just said "okay" though and we have continued whatever we were doing. But it is still gut wrenching and unnerving, thinking about how to tell them.

I heard that there have been really great results in terms of greatly minimizing or even eliminating outbreaks with oxygen therapy. Has anyone tried that?

RealisticGal

I heard that there have been really great results in terms of greatly minimizing or even eliminating outbreaks with oxygen therapy. Has anyone tried that?

I suspect it is a scam. :(

rett

Hi, I also get cold sores, primarily in one spot on my lower lip. I'm curious after reading your post because I'm currently experiencing something similar (although maybe twice as many outbreaks as you, unfortunately).

When did you start taking valtrex? Would you say that this pattern of recurrences only began after taking it? I keep getting cold sores one after another, and can only remember this happening when I started to take valtrex. Usually I would get one or two a year and then they would just heal and go away for months. Now it's almost a biweekly issue, and I think its tied to the drugs.