World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
bhopeful

So confused... hoping for some support and advice please

bhopeful

I posted this in the wrong forum earlier, sorry.. I cant delete it.

Im a male in my 40's and recently had an encounter with someone I have admired for a while, we had "the talk" before anything happened and i felt good about it. She is a Pharmacist, and I let my guard down and didn't use protection. Anyway, after few days later I broke out with sort of a red rash on my penis. Tiny red raised bumps. I immediately called her and she insisted she does not have herpes. She said she was sore afterward though. She's in total denial and was going to be tested but then didn't.

I went to the doctor a couple days later, he said it looked like herpes. He prescribed 3 grams of Valacyclovir a day for a month. I got the swap test, and asked for a blood test but he said it wasn't necessary. I was also tested for syphilis, gonorrhea and chlamydia.

The swab test came back negative so he told me to take 2 grams of Valacyclovir up until 10 days which I did. He said it's possible it could have been positive if I came in sooner but his office was closed. It never did have sores though really, just several tiny, raised red bumps that felt sore. To me it looked like herpes, but during the outbreak I didn't have any of the other symptoms at all.

My last day of the meds I visited her again. I performed oral sex on her. Now a week later I have a few sores inside my lower lip that I never had before. I looked at it closely and it is sort of the same thing, a few tiny raised bumps. A couple of them bled a little last night because of tooth brushing. I know I was stupid going back but she comforted me and told me I would be ok. I needed that so badly. I was in denial myself. I just want to go back in time and make things right. I feel like such an idiot

Anyway, my question is what should I do next? See another doctor? Get a blood test? An I too early for that? If so what one? I have read so much about this and test results seem so muddy. I never had any sympoms like fever or pain, or painful urination. I'm pretty confused and scared like everyone else just dealing with this. I should mention I am an anxiety sufferer and a little of a hypochondriac too. Maybe a lot actually

Thanks for listening and for your support. Happy Holidays.

JBnATL

Don't assume that if you have unprotected sex you will pass this along. It really isn't that easy to spread. I have had a lot of unprotected sex (their choice) and never passed it. Read this article on transmission rates and you will realize it is not easy to pass along:

www.hsvblog.org/herpes-simplex-virus-hsv-101

If you do not have another outbreak the only thing you can do is to take a blood test, however it can sometimes take your body up to 4 months to create the antibodies the test looks for.

Come to the "Chat Room", there you will find many nice fellow Herpsters who can offer you their support.

Good luck!

JB

wastedhousewife

It is pretty rare that swab test results would be incorrect - but no matter what, you need to see your doctor again and demand a blood test. It can be done and they will do it, you just have to let them know it is all you will settle for. You may not have herpes - don't jump to any conclusions until you have conclusive testing done.

JBnATL

You don't have to have a doctors permission to get a blood test. There are a lot of labs out there that you can find online and schedule a test. www.anylabtestnow.com is a popular one. They don't charge much either.

Good luck!

JB