World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
herpyterp

Herpes without blisters?

herpyterp

I'm concerned I might have herpes. I had an "outbreak" (at least what I think is an outbreak) a month ago. My skin got very irritated and red. It felt extremely sore and uncomfortable. Then after a week, it went away on it's own. Three weeks later it came back. It was red and sore all over, just as bad as the first time. It lasted a little over a week, and now has gone away. There have never been blisters or open sores or anything like that. During the first "outbreak" a doctor told me it didn't look like herpes. She took a swab of a paper-like cut from the irritation and that came back negative.

But why would it go away after a week and then come back again? There is also some pressure in the area where my upper thigh meets my groin, which makes me think it could be related to herpes and nerve issues. Any thoughts?

FJE

I'm not exactly sure what you're describing, but I don't have any, or haven't had any blisters either. And that pain where your leg meets your groin could possibly be swollen lymph nodes, which would definitely indicate a herpes infection. Just feel up and down the creases and if there is swelling, it is probably herpes.

herpyterp

I went to a doctor today. Unfortunately my irritation has gone away so she could not diagnose me visually, but she said all of my symptoms do not seem typical of herpes (already knew that). She felt where my aching was coming from in my leg and told me there were no lymph nodes there. She said it is most likely a muscle strain...even though I haven't worked out this week or done anything that I know of that would cause that.

I left the doctor's appointment with her suggesting I go to a therapist and talk about anxiety. So great...

Misty67

I've had H since the summer of 09. "Thankfully" I have never had a blister. My OBs' consist of irriatation and burning. I was examined by my doctor two times, both times he told me it was not HSV. The first time, he said yeast, then second time BV. After two months with crazy symtoms I insisted on a HSV blood test, and well, here I am.

Truly and sadly most doctors know very little about the HSV virus. They look for the "classic" symtoms. I can't believe he/she wanted to send you to talk about anxiety and didn't suggest a blood test
:confused:
Maybe that should be your next step.

Good luck!

herpyterp

Misty, sounds exactly like me. Mine are just irritation and burning. I saw two doctors during my first irritation who said it did not look like herpes, and I saw one another one after it ended who said there were no signs that an outbreak occurred. I guess my skin just goes right back to normal.

My doctor told me today she didn't recommend a blood test since my irritation could be caused by other things, not necessarily herpes. She also doesn't think blood tests are always accurate, which is probably true. She said a swab is the most accurate and mine was negative, so I shouldn't worry too much.

If the irritation does come back, which I'm pretty sure it will, I will schedule a blood test.