World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
spheralune

Back from the ER... lost and in shock

spheralune

I just got back from the Emergency Room where I was treated and diagnosed with gentile herpes (as well as treated for chlamydia and gonorrhea). This morning would be my second opinion in a way where yesterday I went to an urgent care clinic because I thought I had a raging yeast infection...

To say that I'm at a loss for words or in complete shock isn't far from the truth. I know who I got the illness (if that's the correct term) from and I've never felt so betrayed or disrespected. I know that my significant other could have passed it onto me without symptoms so they might not even know, but I don't even know how to approach the subject. I don't know if I should be angry, upset, hurt or understanding with the whole situation.

I swing between feeling like my life is over to having the mindset of 'Okay... I have this ... what should I do now." Is this normal?

It feels like I'm rambling but my mind is so scattered right now. If there is any advice you could give me it would mean the world.

Adamindful

Hi. Don't go into hiding like I did. Yes I believe everything you are feeling right now is normal. It took me along time to start to find information. I think you came to the right place. I've read a lot of info here and have just taken the first steps as you have today in reaching out. I felt a lot of the same things as you are and didn't know were to turn. I felt my life was done. I have discovered there are lots of answers in the forum and they have made me feel more positive about this whole thing. The best of luck keep asking questions and the right answers will come for you in time.

RealisticGal

As Adamindful suggested, there is a wealth of information available to you on this site. The links on the right side of this page can answer many of the questions you are having right now.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Quick question: In the ER, did you get any sort of laboratory tests for HSV? Did they either draw blood for antibody tests or do a swab of the lesions for a culture (or both)? Or did they just look at the sores and say you had herpes?

Herpes simplex is a common virus. More people have it than not. The medical community usually sees it as minor, since in the majority of those who have it, it causes minimal symptoms. In fact, about 70% of those who have it do not know it, due to a lack of recognizable symptoms (or any at all). Many who have a first outbreak, do not have any after that (but some do).

The biggest problem for most folks with HSV is the attached social stigma. Well, just know that it is false and manufactured. It didn't exist until a few decades ago, after acyclovir (antiviral medication used to manage outbreaks) was invented. Basically, the stigma came about as part of a marketing campaign. The fact is, having this virus does not change who you are in any way (unless you choose to let it change you).

Here's an article that might help you see that the way you are feeling right now is normal, but it should not last forever:

I Was Ashamed of My Herpes Until I Found Out...

:wavey:

spheralune

When I was in the ER the doctor did a visual diagnosis which they told me they could do. They also took 4 vials of blood which made a total of 5 vials (1 yesterday at the urgent care center) and I should get a 100% diagnosis within the next three days. The urgent care center also took cultures of the sores and sent them off for diagnosis. I was told that the reason they could visually diagnose it was because, even though not the worst they've seen, it was a 'severe' initial outbreak. I've also been started on Valacyclovir to help clear everything up. I was also given Azithrorylion, Rosefin and Flagyl for the other treatments as well as some oxyodone for the pain (It felt like a medication buffet!).

I can say that since the pain has gone down I feel better but I'm still worried about how to bring up the topic with my significant other without coming across as if I'm yelling or accusing him for doing this to me. I'm sure the approach of 'guess what honey you gave me Chlamydia, Gonorrhea and Herpes who have you been cheating on me with" would not be the best approach but that's how I feel right now. The ER nurse told me to wait until all of the cultures come back before approaching the topic but even with the possibility makes me not even want to talk to him. I feel like he will blame me if his diagnosis comes back positive but I KNOW I had to of caught it from him because he has been my only partner within the incubation time.

I'm happy I've found this forum. Reading some of the posts give me a higher hopes for living with herpes. Even though I was just diagnosed today I've already started to rethink how I look at relationships and what I want out of life.

I'm already thankful to everyone =)

wastedhousewife

Wow - that guy was a walking test tube! To have all three of those things at once is pretty frightening! I'm glad you were able to get treatment for all of it. Being diagnosed with herpes alone is pretty much a nightmare, but adding the other illnesses on must be very hard for you. I'm so sorry you have to go through all of that at once. You will have to talk with him, and I hope that he is not a jerk about it. It's very hard not to feel some anger and resentment -especially in your situation. Herpes can have no symptoms for long periods of time - but chlamydia and gonorrhea show up pretty quickly in men and women.

Once you get over this initial shock, and what it sounds like is some major betrayal, herpes will get easier. I know that first week after being diagnosed is hell - but just remember to get as much sleep as you can and take care of yourself. The less stressed out you are, the less herpes will affect your body. It also does get much better over time, and you can read many stories on this site of people with herpes continuing to lead happy lives. Good luck with all that is ahead of you with your test results and signifiant other. I hope that he treats you with honesty and kindness as you deserve.

spheralune

Having all three at once was extremely scary and even more painful! I'm just happy that after I got the treatment from the hospital I already feel 100 times better. But now that more time has passed I have one more question about the meds.

Is it normal for them to make you a little nauseous? I'm not sure if it's the anxiety from whats happened or that my body isn't used to what I was given.

RealisticGal
When I was in the ER the doctor did a visual diagnosis which they told me they could do. They also took 4 vials of blood which made a total of 5 vials (1 yesterday at the urgent care center) and I should get a 100% diagnosis within the next three days. The urgent care center also took cultures of the sores and sent them off for diagnosis. I was told that the reason they could visually diagnose it was because, even though not the worst they've seen, it was a 'severe' initial outbreak. I've also been started on Valacyclovir to help clear everything up. I was also given Azithrorylion, Rosefin and Flagyl for the other treatments as well as some oxyodone for the pain (It felt like a medication buffet!).

Well, I'm glad to learn they did the proper laboratory tests. Despite what they told you, there is no way they can be certain that what you have is HSV by visual exam alone. That is the least reliable means of identification, with at least a 20% error rate. Even experts in the field of STIs/HSV admit they can make mistakes that way. HSV is a sneaky little bastard of a virus that can mimic many other conditions (and vice versa). So anyway, I'm glad your providers did the right thing as far as testing goes.

I do want to warn you, though...you need to be aware that the tests are not 100%. So the idea that you can get a "100% diagnosis," as you mentioned, might not be the case.

The culture (swab) test can yield false negatives for a number of reasons such as insufficient sample taken, mishandling of the sample, taking the sample too late after the lesions form, etc.

The blood (antibody) tests for HSV can also be a bit problematic. First of all, they need to run the right type of test. It should be a Type Specific IgG-Based Herpes Simplex Antibody test that checks for BOTH HSV-1 and HSV-2. The experts advise that any IgM-based test results should be ignored, as that is old technology which has many problems.

Another point about the blood tests is that it can yield false negatives if done too early.

Also, it can yield false positives.

Be sure to get a printout of your results, including the name of the test kit used, so we can assist you with interpretation. I know this may be hard to believe, but oftentimes medical care providers are not familiar with some of the issues with HSV testing. For example, the published index values for the most popular test kit used in the USA are skewed, but many providers are either unaware of or ignore this problem.

All of this to tell you, some folks have to test more than once to get a definitive answer. You might have to do that, too.

I can say that since the pain has gone down I feel better but I'm still worried about how to bring up the topic with my significant other without coming across as if I'm yelling or accusing him for doing this to me. I'm sure the approach of 'guess what honey you gave me Chlamydia, Gonorrhea and Herpes who have you been cheating on me with" would not be the best approach but that's how I feel right now. The ER nurse told me to wait until all of the cultures come back before approaching the topic but even with the possibility makes me not even want to talk to him. I feel like he will blame me if his diagnosis comes back positive but I KNOW I had to of caught it from him because he has been my only partner within the incubation time.

I'm going to suggest the straightforward approach. Tell the guy you suddenly had some troublesome symptoms that caused you to seek medical treatment, tell him about the testing, and tell him the results. Let him know you have learned that some of these conditions may not show symptoms immediately if at all in some folks. Then let him know you care about his well-being, so you hope he will be tested to find out his own status.

The fact is, in the case of HSV, either or both of you might have had it prior to the relationship. Especially if you find out you have HSV-1, that is the case. So unless you were tested prior to this relationship (and it is not done routinely), you may have had it without knowing about it. It is very difficult to figure out when and from whom a person got HSV if that person has had more than one partner.

I'm just happy that after I got the treatment from the hospital I already feel 100 times better. But now that more time has passed I have one more question about the meds.

Is it normal for them to make you a little nauseous? I'm not sure if it's the anxiety from whats happened or that my body isn't used to what I was given.

ALL medications have potential side affects, and nausea is one of the most common!

Especially when your system is being slammed with that "buffet" of meds all at once, I would not expect you to feel tip-top. Valacyclovir by itself has a whole host of possible side effects. Many folks have found they can't tolerate it and have to try a different anti-viral medication.

I'm guessing that the two you mentioned as "rosefin" and "azythrorylion" are actually Rocephin and Azythromycin. Rocephin is very strong stuff. It would be a strong suspect to give you troubles too.

But really, any one or all of them could be the cause.

So I'm sure anxiety about your situation could also be contributing, but the meds themselves are certainly capable of causing the discomfort. You should have received printed inserts along with each of the meds. Read them to be aware of any serious reactions you might experience, okay? It is important to be aware of what to look for.

If you didn't get the printed inserts or instruction sheets, go back and slap the pharmacist or the doctor who handed them to you.

Okay, just kidding. Sorta. But if you do not have that info, you should get it one way or another. If you don't feel like going out to get it from the source who should have given it, you can do an online search on each med. For example, search for: Rocephin side effects.

HTH

By the way, based on the meds, it sounds like they might be treating you for Trichomoniasis as well. You might want to ask them about that.

spheralune

Well I just got my blood work results back from the doctor... still waiting on the cultures. Turns out I was positive for Chlamydia and Trachomatis. I was also sent home with even MORE pills. But here is what it says about the Herpes tests.

HSV 1 IGG TYPE SPECIFIC AB 0.07

HSV 2 IGG TYPE SPECIFIC AB 0.08

< 0.9 is Negative

0.90 - 1.10 is Equivocal

> 1.10 is Positive

Now when I took this to my gyn they told me that for someone going through their first outbreak that the numbers might not come back as a positive or equivocal. I'm not ruling out that I have it just yet because the visual symptoms where so prevalent. But with numbers that low is it safe to say I would have been infected VERY recently?

RealisticGal
Well I just got my blood work results back from the doctor... still waiting on the cultures. Turns out I was positive for Chlamydia and Trachomatis. I was also sent home with even MORE pills. But here is what it says about the Herpes tests.

HSV 1 IGG TYPE SPECIFIC AB 0.07

HSV 2 IGG TYPE SPECIFIC AB 0.08

< 0.9 is Negative

0.90 - 1.10 is Equivocal

> 1.10 is Positive

Now when I took this to my gyn they told me that for someone going through their first outbreak that the numbers might not come back as a positive or equivocal. I'm not ruling out that I have it just yet because the visual symptoms where so prevalent. But with numbers that low is it safe to say I would have been infected VERY recently?

The significance of the numbers is only which index value range they fall within. In your case, they are "negative." But as the doctor implied, that could be a FALSE negative because you have tested so soon after the symptoms started. In other words, yes, you may have just recently been infected.

It can take from a week to as much as 6 months or so for the IgG antibodies to reach detectable levels using this test, so you will need to retest at a later date to be sure whether or not you actually do have HSV.

The important thing to know is that a single negative test is NOT conclusive evidence that you do not have HSV.

Oh, and they did a culture, as I recall. That may also tell you if you have HSV. That type of test can yield false negatives too, but if you get a positive result on that one, you can believe it. Did the urgent care center tell you when you could expect that test to be done?

spheralune

Well my cultures came back positive at least that is what the urgent care clinic told me. I have not yet had the chance to see the test results myself but I'm pretty sure it's accurate. They are stipulating that it is HSV2 just because of the area that is being effected.

I've come to grips with the idea of living with the infection for the rest of my life. I'm not going to let it get me down or turn me into a 'shut in' but now I've been trying to track down my significant other for three days for a face to face conversation. I seem to be avoided at every turn. Which thinking back was how he was our whole relationship after we got the 'title'. I don't know if its because now I have something important to speak to him about or what but the rage is building up inside me. I'm almost willing just to cut off all contact with him and if he doesn't want to talk to me he can discover on his own what he has. Or just send him a text saying 'thanks for giving me H. It's over. Go get tested' because I'm done being treated like crap. He was always asking me why I wanted to be with him and if I was asked that at this moment I wouldn't know... I guess that's a good indicator.

Maybe I should change my name to 'tired of being understanding' because my idea of relationships and the amount of 'crap' I'm willing to put up with has definitely changed.

:madd::madd::madd::madd::madd::madd::madd::madd::madd::madd::madd::madd:

RealisticGal
Well my cultures came back positive at least that is what the urgent care clinic told me. I have not yet had the chance to see the test results myself but I'm pretty sure it's accurate. They are stipulating that it is HSV2 just because of the area that is being effected.

They really have no grounds to do that. The experts are saying that currently about 30% to 50% of new genital herpes infections are caused by HSV-1. If they still have any of your sample at the lab, it could be "typed." If not, you could get a type specific IgG-based blood test, which would at least let you know whether or not you have HSV-2 somewhere.