World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
app

When will we see a herpes cure?

app
Well, Lloyd, there is good news and bad news on the herpes front. The good news: Researchers have made serious strides and now better understand the mechanism behind herpes outbreaks. The bad news: There is very little funding for that research.

After receiving your question we reached out to a leading herpes expert, Bryan Cullen, the director at the Center for Virology at Duke University. Cullen is hopeful that a cure for herpes could come within 10 years, once funding hurdles are crossed.

Nearly one in five people over age 12 in the U.S. is affected by herpes. It is caused by a virus - either the herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1) or the herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2). Both strains can cause genital herpes, but HSV-1 usually infects the mouth and produces cold sores.

--snip--

http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2010/02/25/when-will-we-see-a-herpes-cure/

I e-mailed Cullen and asked him how I could help. If some of these guys had a PayPal account, this would make life so much easier.

Movingslowly

In general it will be another 10-15 years for a cure. The good news is there are vaccines and a therapeutic medication (AIC316) that will come to market in the next 5-10 years. As mentioned above researches have made great strides in understanding HSV1 and HSV2 especially during latency. This has been a complication for many years. In the past decade researchers have idendified key mechanisms in both strains. This helps develop more efficient treatments and hopefully one day a cure. Currently, the herpes market is estimated at $1 billion. Trust me these pharmaceutical companies want to get their hands on that. Well, one good thing is NIAID has became very supportive and have allegated funds to herpes researches including Dr. Bloom and Dr. Cullen. See below what NIAID has to say about herpes. It's positive news and gives me a sense of peace that they are involved in finding efficient treatment.

NIAID Research on Genital Herpes

"NIAID supports research on genital herpes and herpes simplex virus (HSV). Studies are currently underway to develop better treatments for the millions of people who suffer from genital herpes. While some scientists are carrying out clinical trials to find the best way to use existing medicines, others are studying the biology of HSV. NIAID scientists have identified certain genes and enzymes (proteins) that the virus needs to survive. They are hopeful that drugs aimed at disrupting these viral targets might lead to the design of more effective treatments."

"Meanwhile, other researchers are devising methods to control the virus’ spread. Two important means of preventing HSV infection are vaccines and topical microbicides."

"Developing a vaccine against genital herpes has been challenging. Recently, an experimental vaccine intended to prevent genital herpes disease in women, although generally safe and well tolerated, proved ineffective when tested in a Phase III clinical trial known as the Herpevac Trial for Women. NIAID is examing other vaccine options and supporting several vaccines in various stages of development."

http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/genitalHerpes/research/Pages/research.aspx

Monique
In general it will be another 10-15 years for a cure. The good news is there are vaccines and a therapeutic medication (AIC316) that will come to market in the next 5-10 years. As mentioned above researches have made great strides in understanding HSV1 and HSV2 especially during latency. This has been a complication for many years. In the past decade researchers have idendified key mechanisms in both strains. This helps develop more efficient treatments and hopefully one day a cure. Currently, the herpes market is estimated at $1 billion. Trust me these pharmaceutical companies want to get their hands on that. Well, one good thing is NIAID has became very supportive and have allegated funds to herpes researches including Dr. Bloom and Dr. Cullen. See below what NIAID has to say about herpes. It's positive news and gives me a sense of peace that they are involved in finding efficient treatment.

NIAID Research on Genital Herpes

"NIAID supports research on genital herpes and herpes simplex virus (HSV). Studies are currently underway to develop better treatments for the millions of people who suffer from genital herpes. While some scientists are carrying out clinical trials to find the best way to use existing medicines, others are studying the biology of HSV. NIAID scientists have identified certain genes and enzymes (proteins) that the virus needs to survive. They are hopeful that drugs aimed at disrupting these viral targets might lead to the design of more effective treatments."

"Meanwhile, other researchers are devising methods to control the virus’ spread. Two important means of preventing HSV infection are vaccines and topical microbicides."

"Developing a vaccine against genital herpes has been challenging. Recently, an experimental vaccine intended to prevent genital herpes disease in women, although generally safe and well tolerated, proved ineffective when tested in a Phase III clinical trial known as the Herpevac Trial for Women. NIAID is examing other vaccine options and supporting several vaccines in various stages of development."

http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/genitalHerpes/research/Pages/research.aspx

Just wondering if we need to put another letter together that everyone can send to the NIAID so that they can continue to support HSV vaccine development? Can anyone help with this?

lookingforhope

Honestly, I'm guessing the day after I start menopause and can't have kids...that's when the cure will come out. Because that is God's sense of humor.

Monique

Keep signing those petitions and send emails! If we all unite together and keep pushing for funding for HSV research, etc it may not take that long. Ofcourse if we do NOTHING, it may take 20 if not more years for someone to come up with a cure.

SuperManFace

I tell you what we need to do. We need to figure out how WE can raise money. Fuck the government, because the government is big therefore moves slow.

SuperManFace

We have to come together somehow. What kind of skills do we have we need to put them together and come up with something.

SuperManFace

Wow your a genius. We need to set up a nonprofit fund for curing herpes with a name everyone can remember and a paypal everyone can remember, set it up in dr. bloom's name and send him a golden envelope with the password to his new paypal account should he choose to accept it. Which he will. Then we can advertise and heavily market. Then better yet maybe aim for the molecular thing and send it to those guys. Thats the next generation that will cure literally anything cancer bacteria, etc. this guy on npr was talking about it this afternoon. If theres a big enough money we can hire one of these guys to concentrate towards herpes. If we set up a corporation where the donators would receive shares and we would decide what to do with the money. That way since we are all part of the company, we could meet face to face with the scientists and be right there at the scene of the action.

Hopefull2011

I was on my way to work around 245 so figure is the beginning of rush hour in CHI then it came to my mind if there was a national HSV DAY and it had an account where people could donate money from pharmacies and everyone in the use would donate a dollar on national HSV DAY money wouldnt be an issue. I guess I just spent alotta time thinking how can we raise money to support the Drs. Researching for cures not only for HSV but pretty much anything that's all we need everyone in the US to donate one dollar just one dollar to support the research for cures for many of the diseases out there and more than enough money would be donate in just that one day. But it's just so hard for everyone to come together to do this because of the way of life we live. I believe that in 2012 we will great progress in the medicine field. At least that's what I hope for. God bless us all. Woww it just pop in my head if we came together as a country for 9/11 why can't we come together for this. Just doesn't make any sense.

winonabee
I tell you what we need to do. We need to figure out how WE can raise money. Fuck the government, because the government is big therefore moves slow.

I highly doubt the government would be fussed about H as it is not reallyt life-threatening. It's just a stigma and really even the media make jokes about it. A lot of private research and pharmaceutical companies are doing their best though as they know they would also gain big profits. I for one would not care even if costs a couple of grand. LOL.

At the moment they are developing a vaccine to prevent H-positive people from spreading it to the negatives; roughly in 6 years though...

freeyourmind1
I highly doubt the government would be fussed about H as it is not reallyt life-threatening. It's just a stigma and really even the media make jokes about it. A lot of private research and pharmaceutical companies are doing their best though as they know they would also gain big profits. I for one would not care even if costs a couple of grand. LOL.

At the moment they are developing a vaccine to prevent H-positive people from spreading it to the negatives; roughly in 6 years though...

What vaccine is that, Winonabee?

andre
I wonder if cullen or bloom has herpes.

That is a strong possibly I would say. Otherwise, why would they be pursuing in a field with so little funding. Unless they are just that dedicated and good hearted but those kinds of people are really hard to come by. Imagine if some top republican and democrats had herpes, then maybe they would start funding it... Or if some top/head of the line business people had this, then we would definitely see an increase in funding.

SuperManFace
That is a strong possibly I would say. Otherwise, why would they be pursuing in a field with so little funding. Unless they are just that dedicated and good hearted but those kinds of people are really hard to come by. Imagine if some top republican and democrats had herpes, then maybe they would start funding it... Or if some top/head of the line business people had this, then we would definitely see an increase in funding.

If a top politician had it, he would call one of his friends who has contacts in the military and get him cured asap.

SuperManFace
Wow your a genius. We need to set up a nonprofit fund for curing herpes with a name everyone can remember and a paypal everyone can remember, set it up in dr. bloom's name and send him a golden envelope with the password to his new paypal account should he choose to accept it. Which he will. Then we can advertise and heavily market. Then better yet maybe aim for the molecular thing and send it to those guys. Thats the next generation that will cure literally anything cancer bacteria, etc. this guy on npr was talking about it this afternoon. If theres a big enough money we can hire one of these guys to concentrate towards herpes. If we set up a corporation where the donators would receive shares and we would decide what to do with the money. That way since we are all part of the company, we could meet face to face with the scientists and be right there at the scene of the action.

And as a benefit, it wouldn't really be donating, because any money we would use to fund a company, we would get back if the company succeeds. So that would be more incentive for people to do it, because it would be more like investing.

andre
If a top politician had it, he would call one of his friends who has contacts in the military and get him cured asap.

I didn't really understand that. The military has a cure for herpes huh?? what are u trying to say lol

Movingslowly

This is how Dr. Cullen will cure herpes (starting with HSV-1)

Antagomirs - One promising avenue of herpes treatment is being studied by scientists at Duke University. It involves a man-made RNA molecule called an antagomir, which may activate dormant copies of the herpes virus. Antagomirs interfere with the replication of DNA and RNA. You may remember DNA and RNA from high-school biology. Both are forms of a molecule called a nucleotide. DNA stores the genetic code of most living organisms. RNA is used to translate the DNA code into proteins. However, in viruses, RNA can itself be the genetic coding material.

According to one scientist supports
, research has pointed to a synthesize antagomir RNA molecule which actually shifts the reproductive schedule of the herpes simplex virus. Normally, a colony of viruses is a mix of active and dormant particles. Antagomirs can be administered to cause all viruses to become incapable of remaining dormant. That’s important, because the viruses are only vulnerable in the active phase. So a two part attack would be to first activate all the viruses in an infection site, then hit them with an antiviral agent.

A special form of RNA, called microRNA, is responsible for creating the dormancy state in the herpes simplex HSV-1 virus. Basically, the microRNA suppresses the virus temporarily, causing it to go dormant for a while. The Duke researcher Professor Bryan Cullen, believes that a
antagomir
drug can be developed to interfere with the virus microRNA, so viruses will no longer go dormant, and thus be continuously vulnerable to anti-viral agents such as acyclovir.

A scenario where this might be effective would be in treatment of a cold sore. By applying the combination of drugs (the antagomir and the anti-viral) directly to the sore, the infection site could be wiped out.

As of March 2010, Prof. Cullen was projecting another five years of animal studies which, if promising, could lead to human testing perhaps as
early as 2015

This drug antagomir is currently used in patients with lung and myocardial fibrosis. I think it's interesting how our own body is what keeps this virus dormant and untouchable during this stage. Most other virus's are eventually destroyed by our immune system. HIV is a special exception to this and some other viruses as well. If it wasn't for mircoRNA's keeping this virus in latency then antivirals would kill herpes. Hope his strategy works one day.

Monique

I wouldn't be making those kind of assumptions. At the end of the day it's not only these two professors that are working towards a cure or at the very least a permanent suppression of the virus such as Vical, Dr William Halford etc.

ManagingIllness

Well, we have a partial answer! The answer was not until at least 6 years, and from current research, we'll only have partial repression of the virus in terms of a therapeutic vaccine by ~2021!

GEN-003 is likely to be the first available... in 4-5 years time.

If we get super lucky Halford's vaccine will get approved in Mexico/Canada before then, but extremely unlikely. They'll have to complete phase 1 - because their unauthorized phase 1 in St. Kits likely won't be accepted by any country's regulatory board - 2, & 3, and then get it approved by a regulatory board in Mexico before that point