World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
goldilocks7

Oral Sex

goldilocks7

My partner and I were just diagnosed yesturday with genital herpes HSV 2.... is it okay to have oral when everything is clear? or will we get HSV 1 and have mouth herpes? just kinda confused about everything... also when we have sex do we have to use a condom? and can lube cause an outbreak?

in2theblue

Yes u can def spread hsv2 to ur face with or without symptoms... This is called shedding. If u have hsv2 (genital) thru oral sex someone can spread it to ur face and then have hsv2 orally and genitally. Just the same as if u had hsv1 on ur face someone can spread it to ur genital area thru oral sex. The different hsvs are: Hsv1 origin is face.. Hsv2 origin is genital. If u have sex being as u both has hsv2 u don't have to worry about catching it from eachother so condom is optional.. For oral sex I would def recommend u use one. Also for the basic use to prevent pregnancy. I have heard certain lubes irritate skin but not so much cause outbreaks.. I would use a waterbased lube -- theres not as many chemicals. Hope this helps!?

notagain909

Do most hsv-2 positive couples engage in safe oral sex? A blowjob with a condom on is so lame. The idea of a dental dam is just as sexy.

I love herpes

in2theblue

Well the way it works is that hsv 1 and 2 prefer their original sites (example hsv1 prefers to be oral therefore ppl with genital hsv1 see Waaay fewer out breaks then those with genital hsv2... Hsv2 prefers to be genital so when it is oral u may see fewer outbreaks around the mouth) therefore chances of spreading hsv2 is minimal but not impossible.. I'm sure blowjobs with condoms suck and obviously dental dams are about as sexy as a George bush in a polka dot bikini, but would u rather have oral herpes as well as genital? I think probably not.

mortmaiden
My partner and I were just diagnosed yesturday with genital herpes HSV 2.... is it okay to have oral when everything is clear? or will we get HSV 1 and have mouth herpes? just kinda confused about everything... also when we have sex do we have to use a condom? and can lube cause an outbreak?

You cannot get hsv-1, because it is a different virus to hsv-2.

Once your genital hsv-2 infection is established and you have seroconverted (antibodies are detectable in your blood) you become extremely unlikely to ever catch hsv-2 in another location, purely because you are producing antibodies to hsv-2 which should protect you from further infection.

However, it takes up to 6 months or so to reach this point - in the very early days, which one of you is in, you CAN still catch hsv-2 in a second location, i.e. you could catch it orally through performing oral sex on your partner. The risk is much lower when there is no outbreak, and it is up to you whether you are ok with taking that risk. It is only really a risk for the partner who has just become infected. Personally, I would be ok with that level of risk - and it will go down hugely over time.

No, you both have genital herpes hsv-2, so you don't need to use a condom. You can't catch it twice in the same location.

Many things can cause an outbreak at first. Sex can cause an outbreak. Stress and tiredness can cause an outbreak. But it depends on the individual, and you might be one of the lucky ones who doesn't get a second outbreak.

RealisticGal
just kinda confused about everything... also when we have sex do we have to use a condom? and can lube cause an outbreak?

Lube is actually likely to help you prevent outbreaks. The reason sexual activity can trigger outbreaks (at least theoretically) is due to minor trauma to the skin caused by the friction of sex. So...lube is your friend.

:beerbuddies: