World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
FreeWilly

Confused with my symptoms

FreeWilly

A little over a week ago I noticed a couple of small, red bumps on the shaft of my willy. There were three of them, but not in a cluster. I assumed they were from infected hairs or irritation (I had done some grooming down there a few days prior) or possibly even acne, so I made the mistake of squeezing them. Got a little bit of clear fluid, but little else. They scabbed over and have slowly been healing since then.

I went to a dermatologist recently and he was concerned it could be herpes. My stomach lurched into my mouth when I heard that. He couldn't be sure since they were scabbed over from my picking at them. I couldn't get in to see my doctor soon, so I finally went in to a local lab and submitted blood work to test for type 2 herpes.

I can't stand the wait to find out. It's tearing me up. I'm scared to death to hug my kids or touch anyone. Obviously you all can't do a diagnosis but I'd like some insight, to hopefully ease my mind.

Here's my info - the most recent chance I had to come in contact with an infected person was over 7 months ago. I've had no fever or chills, no flu-like symptoms, and the sores never hurt nor were they tender. The bumps were not in a cluster, but scattered here and there. The scabs looked normal after I picked the bumps, and there was no "crusting" or itching or tenderness in the area. But I have noticed one more small red bump come up, but it's not painful or tender, and it's far from the others.

I know not everyone's symptoms are the same, but what do you all think? Does it sound like herpes?

PursuitOfHappiness

Sounds almost exactly like my symptoms, although I'm still not sure what it is. I had the little red spots on my inner thighs for a little bit before they all turned into small shiny raised bumps. Those have since gone away. The ones on my shaft and sack still persist though. I didn't feel any different than I normally do. I guess just try not to panic or freak out until you know.

I would also suggest being cautious, wash your hands frequently, especially after taking a leak. I also avoid using my towel to dry my thighs, pubic area or asshole.

FreeWilly

Hard not to freak out, since this is something that will impact me and my relationships the rest of my life. Plus I will be visiting my gf soon and I don't want to say anything yet until I know for sure, but I also don't want to infect her (if I haven't already).

So you never got tested to find out?

FreeWilly

The blood work came back negative and I was truly relieved (and also much more sympathetic to what a number of you have gone through). The two initial bumps that concerned me are almost gone (third small one went away quickly), but last week a fourth large one came up which looked and felt just like the first two. Again, no pain or tenderness. What's more, my gf recently had a cold sore show up in her mouth. She's never had one before, and we had oral sex a little over a week ago.

Should I get a second test? Or are the blood tests usually fairly accurate? Could this be something else?

RealisticGal
The blood work came back negative and I was truly relieved (and also much more sympathetic to what a number of you have gone through). The two initial bumps that concerned me are almost gone (third small one went away quickly), but last week a fourth large one came up which looked and felt just like the first two. Again, no pain or tenderness. What's more, my gf recently had a cold sore show up in her mouth. She's never had one before, and we had oral sex a little over a week ago.

Should I get a second test? Or are the blood tests usually fairly accurate? Could this be something else?

A single negative test is not conclusive evidence that you do not have HSV.

Blood tests are fairly accurate, but they can result in "false negatives." The most common reason this happens is testing too soon after being infected, before the IgG antibodies have had time to form to detectable levels.

All that to say, yes, you should get another blood test after about 12 to 16 weeks in order to be more sure of your status.

If you get any fresh sores prior to that time, run quick like a bunny to get them swabbed and cultured, and be sure the doc orders the lab to "type" the culture.

:wavey:

FreeWilly

The most likely time I was exposed to it would have been about 7 months ago, so that should be sufficient time for the blood test to show, right?

RealisticGal
The most likely time I was exposed to it would have been about 7 months ago, so that should be sufficient time for the blood test to show, right?

What was the last time you had intimate sexual contact (with anyone)?

That is your most recent possible exposure.