World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
freeyourmind1

Test Results - I have a question!

freeyourmind1

Hi all,

I am new to this site, but I have always gotten oral cold sores ever since I was younger - I am 21 now. I wanted to get tested to see which Herpes simplex I had, just to know, so I just got my test results today and I am a bit confused about them.

Herpeselect

HSV 1 IGG Type Specific AB: 4.09

HSV 2 IGG Type Specfic AB: 2.57

So I guess I have Herpes 2, as well? I have been researching online and I cam across "Low positive IGG Herpeselect" and half of the positive results for HSV 2 are actually negative and should get checked again if they are < 3.5. Any thoughts? Thanks! :)

Movingslowly

I did the exact same thing as you, but I did have genital sores that led me to suspension. Both my results are positive as I expected. This was over two years ago I tested positive. I had bad cold sores up until I started having genital symptoms. Now, I never get coldsore outbreaks, only genital. Tests are very tricky in detecting herpes. You should be retested.

inkandtea

I also have a test question.

I started getting sores on my mouth october of 2009, then march of 2010 I had some genital sores that didn't look like the typical sores I got on my mouth, they did a swab test and it came back positive for HSV1, and thats all they told me. they didn't feel or look like herpes but it was positive. my mother who was a nurse (we're very open) and my former pre-med best friend said I should get it re-tested because it was probably a false negative, but my doctor said no. I only had that one bout and it was nearly a year and a half ago.

so how inaccurate are the swab tests, could it be wrong. clearly I couldn't have a blood test because my oral herpes would show up. its gotten in the way of a relationship with a very very dear friend who wants to be more and I need to know if it could have all just been a huge mistake.

freeyourmind1

Yeah I think I may get retested again but with a different test, perhaps the Western blot test. Sigh, so sick of this stupid virus. :/

freeyourmind1
I also have a test question.

I started getting sores on my mouth october of 2009, then march of 2010 I had some genital sores that didn't look like the typical sores I got on my mouth, they did a swab test and it came back positive for HSV1, and thats all they told me. they didn't feel or look like herpes but it was positive. my mother who was a nurse (we're very open) and my former pre-med best friend said I should get it re-tested because it was probably a false negative, but my doctor said no. I only had that one bout and it was nearly a year and a half ago.

so how inaccurate are the swab tests, could it be wrong. clearly I couldn't have a blood test because my oral herpes would show up. its gotten in the way of a relationship with a very very dear friend who wants to be more and I need to know if it could have all just been a huge mistake.

I think swab tests are pretty accurate because they're testing the live culture from the sore.