World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
christina824

New to this...

christina824

HEY! im Christina, i was just diagnosed today with herpes. Im still really in shock and dont really no what to do. but i have the most amazing mother and best friend staying by my side and helping me through this. I guess im here just to meet new people, people who can share with me how they dealt with finding out that they have it to. So come say hi, im really nice and outgoing..i love talking to new people. it would be great to get to know some of you! :wavey:

friendless

Hello my name is Friendless and I am new to learning all about a close family member was just diagnosed with herpes.

Could any one tell me how long it takes the outbreak to come from a cold sore? thanks

christina824

once you get your first outbreak, its very unlikely to get another one shortly after. the next outbreak shouldnt happen for another 12-14 months. as long as treated correctly.

hope that helps =]

Photofan

Christina,

You are fortunate to have your mom and friend there walking with you. It is a shock to the system to find out. I went through that about 2 months ago. Take my word for it, things will calm and get better soon.

Photofan

all around good guy

Hi Christina. Welcome, even though I'm saddened to hear that yet another has to join our little group. But sorry, I must correct you. It's very common for a secondary "initial" outbreak to pop up. Because your immune system isn't ready to fight it off yet. Still trying to build its army of antibodies. Even I got a secondary initial. But the second one is usually quite a bit less severe than the first. And as far as your second one coming a year later, sorry to say but not always. Some yes. But then again, some never even get an OB. Some get one small outbreak and don't outbreak for the rest of their lives. Or, in the case of the woman that gave it to me, she's had it for 12 years and her first year she had about 15 outbreaks. The next year was more like 6 and after that it was once a year almost like clock work, except of coarse when she gave it to me. That one was a surprise one, and showed no symptoms at the time.

And as for how long it takes for the outbreak to come from a cold sore, I'm assuming you mean how long does it last. Cuz an outbreak is a cold sore. An outbreak will typically last a week but some are less and some are more. But always remember to refrain from sex during prodrome, outbreak, and at least 3 days after symptoms subside just to be on the safe side.

Hope this helps.

And Christina, im so glad to hear that you have family and friends that are there to support you. I couldn't tell them. A coupe of my friends know now but none of my family. But at first, all I had was myself, this site, and my giver, who I sti can't stand to face.

christina824

its my second day with herpes, the antibiotics havent helped that much yet. i cant wait for this OB to just go away...how long do they usually last? im not talking about cold sores, i have it vaginally. its so uncomfortable, embaressing and just GROSS. but me and mom had such a big talk today and i was telling her how just walking around the grocery store, i felt..different...from everyone else. and it upsets my mom that she has to see me feel that way. but shes being such a big help, hugging me ALL the time, just making sure im feeling okay. im so glad that she didnt yell at me about getting it, but she knows its not my fault, whats done is done and theres nothing we can do about it. shes really being a HUGE help. and so are all of you. thank you so much everyone

all around good guy

Most outbreaks last a week or so. The painful flowerpot only lasts a few days from what I've heard. Mine wasn't all that painful so I don't know. But it lasted a little over a week. And I know what you mean about feeling different from everyone else. It's not the outbreak that makes this hard, it's the stigma and the psychological aspect of it. It is hard to come to grips with. It's been over a month now that I've had it and ta still hard from time to time. But for the first couple of weeks, I didn't want to go anywhere and that was all that was on my mind. But now, I only think of it occasionally. At least you have your mom and she is supporting you so well. I'm am so glad to hear it because, I have a feeling if I was to tell any of my family or if they found out, I would get a big fucking lecture and practically be banned from the family. Hope you feel better soon. Research research research. That's what helped me the most and made me feel 100x better about it. It's sti tough, but it's livable. As they say, it could be worse.