World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Coriander

How do I interpret these test results?

Coriander

Can anyone help me make sense of these results? I had a positive swab test during my one and only outbreak of GH a year ago. I had blood tests at 1 month, 6 months, and one year after the outbreak and all came out negative. The doctor says this is unusual and that "we may never know" unless I have another rash.

I know a false positive swab test is extremely unlikely, so I'm not sure how to interpret these results. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Thanks.

chichitx

Is the swab test a viral culture, or a PCR (DNA) test? In my opinion the viral culture is not as accurate as PCR. Next time do a PCR swab if you have any future outbreaks, as well as the blood tests.

Coriander

The swab test was a viral culture.

Still wondering how to approach this. I assume I should live as if I have the virus even if (knock on wood) no further outbreaks occur...and count myself lucky. I just wondered whether the situation of having the virus but showing negative blood tests even after a year is precedented.

The PCR test is good to know about -- thanks.

Number7
Can anyone help me make sense of these results? I had a positive swab test during my one and only outbreak of GH a year ago. I had blood tests at 1 month, 6 months, and one year after the outbreak and all came out negative. The doctor says this is unusual and that "we may never know" unless I have another rash.

I know a false positive swab test is extremely unlikely, so I'm not sure how to interpret these results. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Thanks.

In a viral culture, they actually "see" the virus. A negative is not usually accurate if you wait too long to have the culture as the virus dies eventually so a positive is considered quite accurate. Did they type the culture? Also when you were blood tested, did you test for hsv1 and hsv2 and both came out negative?

The igg blood testing is not 100% accurate and you could possibly take longer than a year to show a positive especially if you already have hsv1 and have acquired hsv2. Antibodies can cross-react. Some people have what is called t-cell immunity and do not show positive on any testing -- at least this is what I've interpreted from my own experience and the clinical sites that I've read information from.

If you are still unsure, you might want to go the Medhelp.org website and start by asking Grace.