Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
islandfever

how long does valtrex kick in before you can have sex again?

4 posts in this topic

I've been on valtrex for about a week now. I just got diagnosed a week ago. How long does it have to be in my system before I can have sex again or even have oral? Can I even have oral anymore? I am so depressed that I can never have a normal sex life again!

I've been on valtrex for about a week now. I just got diagnosed a week ago. How long does it have to be in my system before I can have sex again or even have oral? Can I even have oral anymore? I am so depressed that I can never have a normal sex life again!

Hi islandfever ----

I'm sitting here trying to figure out how to give you answers to your questions. The way you asked them tells me that you may not have a good handle on how Valtrex, and also transmission of HSV, work.

So let me ask you a couple of questions and say a few things that might help.

There is no set time period that one has to be on antiviral medications before having sex. When to have sex is a decision you and your partner should make together. Some of the issues that could factor into your decision include:

• Does your partner have HSV?
  • Are you taking daily (suppressive) Valtrex or do you take it only when an outbreak is starting?

• Do you currently have sores that haven't healed yet?
  • If you have sores, where are they located?

Valtrex and other antiviral medications do not necessarily completely stop outbreaks or shedding of virus. That means, they do not make it 100% impossible to spread the virus. Studies suggest they decrease the chances by about 50% to 80%. So if you and your partner understand there is always a chance of transmission, you can have sex any time you feel comfortable doing so.

If you take daily antivirals it will do a better job of lessening the chance you will pass HSV to a partner who doesn't have it.

If you have sores, you will probably want to wait until the skin appears completely healed. Some folks here say they give it an extra week or so just to be sure. But again, this is a personal choice for you and your partner. I would think sex when sores are present would hurt, but maybe not for some folks. Still, when they are there it is the most likely time to pass the virus because it means you are definitely shedding virus. This applies to vaginal sex, oral sex, anal sex or other skin-to-skin contact in the area.

Can you have oral sex again? Sure, if you and your partner decide to do so. You can use barrier devices such as dental dams if you want to (I wouldn't). The chances of a partner who gives you oral sex getting oral herpes from you depends on which type of HSV you have, and whether or not your partner has either type.

I know it seems like a huge bummer right now. It seems that things will never be "normal" again.

Your attitude and perspective on this can go a long way. What is "normal" when it comes to sex, anyway? If you and your partner talk it over in an open, honest, loving way, you can figure out ways to have a good time together.

:wavey:

my partner does not have it. I have been taking valtrex daily and havent had any outbreaks at all. I dont have any cold sores or any other sores.

Even if im on valtrex, can i still have unprotected sex? If I do use condoms, is it still possible to transfer it to my partner?

my partner does not have it. I have been taking valtrex daily and havent had any outbreaks at all. I dont have any cold sores or any other sores.

If you've had no outbreaks, how did you happen to find out you have HSV?

Do you have HSV-1 or HSV-2?

Since you know your partner does not have HSV, that suggests he/she knows that you do.

That's good; you can openly discuss together which precautions you wish to take.

Even if im on valtrex, can i still have unprotected sex?

This seems like an odd question, because of the wording. "Even if" you are on valtrex? Did you mean to say something like, "Since I am taking suppressive (daily) Valtrex, can I have unprotected sex?"

Here's the best answer I can give you. Both suppressive (daily) valtrex and condoms may lower the chances of transmission considerably, but neither (nor both together) can reduce the chance to zero.

It is up to you and your partner to decide if you wish to have unprotected sex, despite the fact that you might transmit the virus.

Keep in mind, that even when using both condoms and antiviral therapy, transmission could occur.

If I do use condoms, is it still possible to transfer it to my partner?

I pretty well covered that above.

To reiterate, it is possible to transmit HSV when using condoms.

Consistent use of barrier devices has been shown to decrease, but not eliminate, the chance of transmission because condoms only cover a small portion of the skin surfaces that can shed (or come in contact with) viral particles.

:itsme:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Latest Buzz

• Sarahbby28
      What is roughly the amount of time and minimum 
    • flowerrebel
      Well hopefully this isn't a fresh OB then. I know what you mean, I am obsessively checking too. It has been three weeks and I have nine to go before I can test. The days are moving really slowly.
    • radiance86
      Thank you. Going to try to remember all of this.
    • Jeremy Spokein
      Haha! This is awesome! OK, so I've found 3 ND's locally, but they're really quite expensive. I mean, at this time I'm on suppressive therapy, which is rather benign and not so taxing on the body if you stay well hydrated. BUT, I don't want to be on these pills forever, so I definitely will want to connect with an ND/Master Herbalist while I'm here. Whether or not I buy the herbs, I still want to have the knowledge and make that decision from hereon out. I'll keep this in mind. And I'm happy that you were able to find a natural solution. A few more questions, please? How many years have you had HSV? Was your primary outbreak really bad? Did it get better over time until it became non-existent? If you stop taking your herbal supplements, but continue to live a healthy lifestyle, do the outbreaks come back? And lastly, how much do you spend per month on supplements? Do you still see your ND, or is there no need? Thanks  
    • radiance86
      Ah welp. I don't really have them, I feel like there are a few bumps or sores but they aren't fully to the surface (if that makes sense). I just noticed one, I've gotten a bit obsessive about checking myself out down there in the mirror. Yeah, I've read the same. I have a pretty big basket on Amazon with a bunch of vitamins and oils I plan on buying. Nothing hurts right now, thankfully..
    • Jeremy Spokein
      There's definitely a silver lining if you look for it... I know it's hard, at first, but you'll realize some day why it all happened. In Buddhist context, disease is a symbol of disharmony in our lives. And sure, I'm no monk or spiritual guru, but when I sat back and thought about this, it was clear where the disharmony was happening in my own life. The virus has forced me to maintain an impeccably healthy diet, which not only keeps this virus at bay, but viruses in general. Exercise, meditation, living a life of authenticity and purpose, and like @K_Sock said, not taking life for granted, remaining humble, and doing the best we can each day to move closer to our goals/dreams. You can still travel, you can still do all of those things you want to. No one on the outside can tell what's happening in your head. It's all within... this whole thing has made me learn to tame my thoughts even more, to learn to value myself even more, and to take more steps towards creating the life I want in general. "Fear kills growth." Don't let any fear get in the way of your growth. No need to fear chickenpox, and this skin condition is no different... It'll all get better with time. I promise
    • radiance86
      I appreciate the hopefulness of this post. Not sure if I see any benefit, except me actually planning to become serious about my health. I deal with bouts of anxiety, so a lot of my dreams to travel and live life to the fullest feel like they are almost hitting a wall. Especially now being newly diagnosed. I tried to live an easy, breezy life but it seems like now I have to be a lot more precautious? I haven't stated any meds yet, want to try a natural course of action first. It just seems like a hassle to have to deal with. Still looking for a silver lining in all of this. It's hard but I'm sure it's not impossible. 
    • flowerrebel
      Yes, I have read that swabbing the sores is the most accurate method of diagnosis. Do you have sores now again? I read that Lysine helps.
    • radiance86
      I just had a question as to how frequent your OB's were in the beginning? I think I am having another one, everything feels heightened like it did the first time I had my OB. Just a lot less painful.
    • radiance86
      Sorry you have to deal with that right now. I understand a bit about what you're going through. I also have a roomie, with a dog but she's actually not that bad. She owes me a grand in rent. She tends to go out a lot and I wonder how she's able to do that and not pay me but she doesn't give me half of the headaches that your roomie does. She comes home with guys, thankfully keeps them in her room. Sometimes her friends come over and that's annoying, just because I'm so used to living on my own but I know it could be a lot worse with her and I'm happy it isn't.  Not too sure about your situation, or the lease etc. is it possible she can move out, that way your bf doesn't have to deal with moving in with her there? Hopefully she isn't the vindictive type, as she knows whats going on with you and that may be private circle information. I haven't told any family or friends though, because, not their business.  Perhaps you can try speaking to her? Let her know that you need to keep your stress level to a minimum and that she and her actions are only aiding in your problem. Also document everything, in the event that it turns nasty. You would want to make sure you write down, have texts, pictures or whatever in case you take her to court. Lol, not sure why I'm always thinking about being sued. Guess too many episodes of Judge Judy and Mathis with roomie situations gone wrong. Hope you can get this all sorted.
  • Featured