Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
islandfever

how long does valtrex kick in before you can have sex again?

4 posts in this topic

I've been on valtrex for about a week now. I just got diagnosed a week ago. How long does it have to be in my system before I can have sex again or even have oral? Can I even have oral anymore? I am so depressed that I can never have a normal sex life again!

I've been on valtrex for about a week now. I just got diagnosed a week ago. How long does it have to be in my system before I can have sex again or even have oral? Can I even have oral anymore? I am so depressed that I can never have a normal sex life again!

Hi islandfever ----

I'm sitting here trying to figure out how to give you answers to your questions. The way you asked them tells me that you may not have a good handle on how Valtrex, and also transmission of HSV, work.

So let me ask you a couple of questions and say a few things that might help.

There is no set time period that one has to be on antiviral medications before having sex. When to have sex is a decision you and your partner should make together. Some of the issues that could factor into your decision include:

• Does your partner have HSV?
  • Are you taking daily (suppressive) Valtrex or do you take it only when an outbreak is starting?

• Do you currently have sores that haven't healed yet?
  • If you have sores, where are they located?

Valtrex and other antiviral medications do not necessarily completely stop outbreaks or shedding of virus. That means, they do not make it 100% impossible to spread the virus. Studies suggest they decrease the chances by about 50% to 80%. So if you and your partner understand there is always a chance of transmission, you can have sex any time you feel comfortable doing so.

If you take daily antivirals it will do a better job of lessening the chance you will pass HSV to a partner who doesn't have it.

If you have sores, you will probably want to wait until the skin appears completely healed. Some folks here say they give it an extra week or so just to be sure. But again, this is a personal choice for you and your partner. I would think sex when sores are present would hurt, but maybe not for some folks. Still, when they are there it is the most likely time to pass the virus because it means you are definitely shedding virus. This applies to vaginal sex, oral sex, anal sex or other skin-to-skin contact in the area.

Can you have oral sex again? Sure, if you and your partner decide to do so. You can use barrier devices such as dental dams if you want to (I wouldn't). The chances of a partner who gives you oral sex getting oral herpes from you depends on which type of HSV you have, and whether or not your partner has either type.

I know it seems like a huge bummer right now. It seems that things will never be "normal" again.

Your attitude and perspective on this can go a long way. What is "normal" when it comes to sex, anyway? If you and your partner talk it over in an open, honest, loving way, you can figure out ways to have a good time together.

:wavey:

my partner does not have it. I have been taking valtrex daily and havent had any outbreaks at all. I dont have any cold sores or any other sores.

Even if im on valtrex, can i still have unprotected sex? If I do use condoms, is it still possible to transfer it to my partner?

my partner does not have it. I have been taking valtrex daily and havent had any outbreaks at all. I dont have any cold sores or any other sores.

If you've had no outbreaks, how did you happen to find out you have HSV?

Do you have HSV-1 or HSV-2?

Since you know your partner does not have HSV, that suggests he/she knows that you do.

That's good; you can openly discuss together which precautions you wish to take.

Even if im on valtrex, can i still have unprotected sex?

This seems like an odd question, because of the wording. "Even if" you are on valtrex? Did you mean to say something like, "Since I am taking suppressive (daily) Valtrex, can I have unprotected sex?"

Here's the best answer I can give you. Both suppressive (daily) valtrex and condoms may lower the chances of transmission considerably, but neither (nor both together) can reduce the chance to zero.

It is up to you and your partner to decide if you wish to have unprotected sex, despite the fact that you might transmit the virus.

Keep in mind, that even when using both condoms and antiviral therapy, transmission could occur.

If I do use condoms, is it still possible to transfer it to my partner?

I pretty well covered that above.

To reiterate, it is possible to transmit HSV when using condoms.

Consistent use of barrier devices has been shown to decrease, but not eliminate, the chance of transmission because condoms only cover a small portion of the skin surfaces that can shed (or come in contact with) viral particles.

:itsme:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Latest Buzz

• Prettypony
      I can't help you with much but I did want to give you some sort of reply, so you know someone is reading this. I'm sure you will receive all the answers to all 3 of your questions as soon as our fellow herpsters get online. I do know that it is recommended to take a suppressive dose of antivirals continuously while you are in a relationship with anyone who is negative to decrease her risk of contracting hsv. So yes,  you should continue taking antivirals after the month is up. I am not sure of the suppressive dose for acyclovir is though. I am also in a relationship with someone who is negative. I do not take antivirals, and that is a choice we decided to make. I do take olive leaf extract,  lysine,  vit b12, vit c, and a vit b50 complex.  I have chosen to go for a more natural approach to reduce viral shedding, outbreaks, and transmission. That being said, female to male transmission is less then male to female. So, I do think you continuing to take a suppressive dose of acyclovir is a good choice. However,  that's something you should decide on with your gf. Hope I helped....somewhat
    • Terrell
      Yes initially protection was a must until my girlfriend wanted to conceive I was on antivirals, olive leaf, and lysine plus I haven't seen an outbreak visually or physically I clearly understand immune response and functionality and this virus based on data given by CDC ad experts. HOWEVER, in my situation something is undoubtedly wrong or formulated I'm not bitter nor a pity party however I've been deceived mever trust this virus or doctors. 3 Doctors told me I didn't have herpes so I finally DEMANDED a culture and the doctors stated " you are asking for trouble you don't need a culture" well I received a call a week latter that they grew the hsv2 and just wear protection when I experience sex. 
    • faithandhope55
      My gynecologist is the one who tested me and diagnosed my HSV2.  Which type of doctor do most of you see for treatment?  Would it be the gyn, primary care doctor or an infectious disease doctor?  
    • Prettypony
    • Hester
      You were on antivirals.  We're you using condoms as well?  I hate this damn virus!!
    • crookbristi
      For me, it's not OCD and but something that makes me feel better.  It's really just a matter of using a disinfectant wipe over the toilet seat and handle after I'm done.  If I forget, I forget and definitely not something I let myself stress over. Yammy, read the facts on transmission.. I think its important for you to find a routine that gives you some ease of mind without letting it control you   
    • So. Florida
      Hello All!  I'm 60 and am in the first few days of my official OB.  23 years ago I was in a relationship that toward the end he cheated and got violent toward me.  During the stress of breaking up/moving out I developed what I called a large pimple at the top of my butt cheek that I showed to my PCP.  He assured me it WAS NOT Herpes but just stress.  He put me on Prozac and here I am 23 yrs later.  I never had any other lumps, bumps or breakouts.  Recently, I had oral sex with the guy I've been dating for 4 mnths (our 1st intimate encounter) and 2 days later I have a cluster ob the size of a quarter on my tailbone.  I have an appt with my OBGYN tomorrow to confirm what I already know.  I've cried, I've yelled and I'm confused.  Why after 23 years?  I feel like I might as well close up shop and never hope for any type of relationship at this point in my life....I feel so "damaged".
    • Clearme
      Why all the f- bombs and name calling? There's no plagarizing just info sharing! I even referenced the Authors mulitple times. Look you even used that recent article(crap as you put it) to help someone understand another form of delivery! I bet that hurt. Just say thanks for the info and leg work and move on...you'll feel much better! Einstein. ..I like it!!!!!
    • Lotofquestions32
      Thank you free73, when the rash comes back I will get a proper dermatologist diagnosis. You know the thing with doctors here... They will see a positive igm and for them you have both types, no matter if is unusual to have both types igm positive and always igg negative.  Thank you all.
    • dont quit!
      Yes those are valid concerns. I believe you had posted a link and or mentioned this before as well. I pay attention to your posts, haha. Being that HSV is a large virus and it's tightly woven DNA can indeed be a delay. Unfortunately for us, I see HSV as a genius of a virus. Very intelligent with billions of years of evolution on its side.  My apologies if I pestered you for feedback. I can tell you have been down/disenchanted with the cure process.  I just wanted to see if you had substance to your pessimism about Crispr. With that being said, I believe Crispr will find a way to edge out HSV. But I'm not sure if the Cullen approach is our answer. Anything can happen in science, it's basically all trial and error. Boooo!
  • Featured