Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
islandfever

how long does valtrex kick in before you can have sex again?

4 posts in this topic

I've been on valtrex for about a week now. I just got diagnosed a week ago. How long does it have to be in my system before I can have sex again or even have oral? Can I even have oral anymore? I am so depressed that I can never have a normal sex life again!

I've been on valtrex for about a week now. I just got diagnosed a week ago. How long does it have to be in my system before I can have sex again or even have oral? Can I even have oral anymore? I am so depressed that I can never have a normal sex life again!

Hi islandfever ----

I'm sitting here trying to figure out how to give you answers to your questions. The way you asked them tells me that you may not have a good handle on how Valtrex, and also transmission of HSV, work.

So let me ask you a couple of questions and say a few things that might help.

There is no set time period that one has to be on antiviral medications before having sex. When to have sex is a decision you and your partner should make together. Some of the issues that could factor into your decision include:

• Does your partner have HSV?
  • Are you taking daily (suppressive) Valtrex or do you take it only when an outbreak is starting?

• Do you currently have sores that haven't healed yet?
  • If you have sores, where are they located?

Valtrex and other antiviral medications do not necessarily completely stop outbreaks or shedding of virus. That means, they do not make it 100% impossible to spread the virus. Studies suggest they decrease the chances by about 50% to 80%. So if you and your partner understand there is always a chance of transmission, you can have sex any time you feel comfortable doing so.

If you take daily antivirals it will do a better job of lessening the chance you will pass HSV to a partner who doesn't have it.

If you have sores, you will probably want to wait until the skin appears completely healed. Some folks here say they give it an extra week or so just to be sure. But again, this is a personal choice for you and your partner. I would think sex when sores are present would hurt, but maybe not for some folks. Still, when they are there it is the most likely time to pass the virus because it means you are definitely shedding virus. This applies to vaginal sex, oral sex, anal sex or other skin-to-skin contact in the area.

Can you have oral sex again? Sure, if you and your partner decide to do so. You can use barrier devices such as dental dams if you want to (I wouldn't). The chances of a partner who gives you oral sex getting oral herpes from you depends on which type of HSV you have, and whether or not your partner has either type.

I know it seems like a huge bummer right now. It seems that things will never be "normal" again.

Your attitude and perspective on this can go a long way. What is "normal" when it comes to sex, anyway? If you and your partner talk it over in an open, honest, loving way, you can figure out ways to have a good time together.

:wavey:

my partner does not have it. I have been taking valtrex daily and havent had any outbreaks at all. I dont have any cold sores or any other sores.

Even if im on valtrex, can i still have unprotected sex? If I do use condoms, is it still possible to transfer it to my partner?

my partner does not have it. I have been taking valtrex daily and havent had any outbreaks at all. I dont have any cold sores or any other sores.

If you've had no outbreaks, how did you happen to find out you have HSV?

Do you have HSV-1 or HSV-2?

Since you know your partner does not have HSV, that suggests he/she knows that you do.

That's good; you can openly discuss together which precautions you wish to take.

Even if im on valtrex, can i still have unprotected sex?

This seems like an odd question, because of the wording. "Even if" you are on valtrex? Did you mean to say something like, "Since I am taking suppressive (daily) Valtrex, can I have unprotected sex?"

Here's the best answer I can give you. Both suppressive (daily) valtrex and condoms may lower the chances of transmission considerably, but neither (nor both together) can reduce the chance to zero.

It is up to you and your partner to decide if you wish to have unprotected sex, despite the fact that you might transmit the virus.

Keep in mind, that even when using both condoms and antiviral therapy, transmission could occur.

If I do use condoms, is it still possible to transfer it to my partner?

I pretty well covered that above.

To reiterate, it is possible to transmit HSV when using condoms.

Consistent use of barrier devices has been shown to decrease, but not eliminate, the chance of transmission because condoms only cover a small portion of the skin surfaces that can shed (or come in contact with) viral particles.

:itsme:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Latest Buzz

• Tonya
      Hi choosehappy, i agree this website is very helpful and you will meet some very supportive people in the chat room. You will make it through this and just remember that you are not alone. 
    • WilsoInAus
      But @Seeker1960 your real issue is that you are being smite. Carefully consider the following. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you. This is why you are a seeker, a searcher for the way out of the valley of darkness. You know the way, forgiveness is in the journey that shall lift the plague and pestilence, bless you and good luck!
    • Peeved
    • Lisajd
      We have all been where you are so please understand that you will be ok it does take time.  You'll get plenty of support and information from this site but first of all what type do you have exactly and how are you diagnosed. What I would suggest to you is do some research and learn as much as you can about the virus because I really will help and it will help you to understand what you need to do going forward in terms of being able to live a normal life because many people have this and it shouldn't stop me from doing anything that you have always wanted to do. 
    • TravelingTeacher
      Was just diagnosed yesterday and I am on the verge of a complete breakdown. 
    • Beachguy
      Hi, I have been to several doctors including 2 dermatologist to evaluate a rash (Not HSV). This has been very persistent and on my neck for over a month.  The medicine they prescribed help but very slowly. I also recently picked up Terri Warren's ebook and I saw she suggested burow's solution AKA Domeboro Astringent Solution. (Available everywhere OTC) This stuff is amazing after 3 application it reduced the rash over 90 percent. According to the book and medicine it treats HSV, Shingles, and general rashes.  Just wanted to share with everyone and hope if helps anyone. BeachGuy  
    • BoatyMcBoatface
      I think of it like bedbugs in NYC. You will think, "I'm not dirty..my place is clean. I'll never get bedbubgs." They're everywhere in the city. Subway benches, offices, stores, movie theaters..etc.. I have had them. Several people I know have had them too and there is shame also with mentioning you have them! I remember the only thing I had worry about telling a guy if he stayed over was the bedbugs. It was a little like disclosing an STD lol. Now I would happily trade herpes for bedbugs.
    • herpdeherpherp
      Hi A'lanna, Correct me if I'm wrong here, male readers, but I think men tend to be fixers. When we women come to them upset or with problems, it makes them upset, and they want to make us happy again. So they start suggesting solutions or they try to brighten our mood - if this doesn't work, they get frustrated and feel useless. Whereas we women mostly need/want to talk problems out - we want to vent, express how we feel, and then we feel better, regardless of whether the problem is fixed or not. To men, this looks like we're going round in circles  Perhaps you could try asking him for exactly what you need/want when you feel down? E.g. "could you please listen to me/hug me" and once he's done it, thank him and tell him it helped? Him saying he "always has to lift you up from a bad mood" sounds to me like he cares about you and wants to protect/help you. He feels personally responsible when you're sad. He wants to help, he wants to make you happy, but is frustrated because he doesn't know how. Please disregard if not helpful. Just my two cents from noticing my similar patterns with previous exes. One used to freak out whenever I cried about something. When I told him how helpful it was when he just gave me a hug, or sat and listened, he seemed to feel much better... he just needed to feel useful.
    • crazypuglady
      Thank you so much for your responses! I have been looking into chinese medicine and keen to try it.
    • Free73
      Hi there wb, I am also an avid weight lifter and have genital herpes. I also take Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard whey. Like you, my outbreaks have been pretty constant over the last 12 months after many years of having few, if any noticeable outbreaks. I'm 43. I would be surprised if it's the protein shakes. The ratio of lysine to arginine in ON's gold standard whey is about 9 grams per 100 grams vs 2 grams per 100 grams. That's a 4:1 ratio of Lysine to Arginine which is very high. The hydrocortisol could be a problem. I have read that oral steroids can suppress the immune system, so perhaps get some more information on that from your doctor. What is your current exercise and training routine? You want to make sure that you are not overtraining. Lifting weights will stress the body. Exercise is good for the immune system, but overdo it and it will supress the immune system. I have been lifting weights for 20 years, but as I've gotten older, I know that my body is struggling to keep up, particularly after contracting herpes. I lift pretty heavy and use a four day split routine. I primarily use free weights and work in a rep range of 4-7, so I am lifting heavy and really taxing the body. I definitely think it plays a role in the frequency of outbreaks, because my training hasn't really slowed down in intensity as I've gotten older, yet the body requires more recovery time as you get older. I also think that because you recently started lifting, it's causing a shock to your body and immune system. Even though you have made these improvements to the quality of your life by starting to exercise and giving up smoking etc., you have introduced a new 'shock' to your body and your immune system is possibly still trying to get used to it. For me, I know that my weight training probably aggravates the herpes and my outbreaks, but it also makes me feel great both physically and mentally and i'm not prepared to give that up simply to lessen the frequency of outbreaks. What I do need to do is give my body more recovery time and get better sleep.
  • Featured