World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Legend

My Story On Herpes, Vitamin C, and How I Beat It!!!

luckyCat

Wow I had no idea..thanks JDJ. My mom had always impressed upon me that C was always something to take to stay healthy (and when you are sick) but I was totally unaware about the other stuff you stated. Just out of curiosity, are there other types of vitamins, herbs or homeopathic treatments that work for you? Im very interested in the healing power of garlic and cook and juice with it often. I also do the same with ginger.

Legend

Exactly. The whole vitamin c causes kidney stones thing is pure crap. I haven't had any kidney problems taking megadoses of c. Another thing is some people believe in talking with the doctor first before doing any vitamin deal. Don't talk with them! Doctors receieve very little nutrition training so they are basically all about pills pills pills!

By the way today is my 8th month straight ob free! And this is just vitamins only, no anti virals at all!

JDJ

I take nothing but vitamin C. I do try to eat healthfully. I aim to limit stress. It's very easy to be totally stressed and obsessed with having this condition, which of course makes it worse.

Honestly, I tried everything like most people get sucked into doing. Vitamin C has been my answer. 8 grams seems to work pretty well which I divide into two doses: 4 grams in the a.m. and 4 before bed. Try to take it on an fairly empty stomach.

I am NOT A DOCTOR, however, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

taumomi23

hi legend, i'm glad that you found a remedy for your OB... personally, i really haven't been diagnosed... when I went to the doctor it was too late for them to get a viral culture since it was already scabbing... wudn't get my test results until Friday morning.. and the unknown really makes me feel sick.. it's depressing trying to figure out how to tell your partner that you might be infected with the virus... i have the hsv1.. on my lips, so.. i want to ask you.. based on your experience, keeping yourself into these supplements and making the virus at bay.. i wana know if I can still live a normal life... for me prevention is better than cure... right now, even if I don't know yet what I have.. I want to make sure that I won't be spreading it.. my worry is I won't be able to even touch anyone anymore.. or vice versa.. or not even be able to kiss someone on the cheek... i've read most on the forums that u pass it on by skin to skin contact.. but is it more of the infected skin to another person's skin contact.. saying just skin to skin is pretty outrageous.. don't you think??

kelly19067

Will Vit C work for oral herpes as well?? I get an outbreak once a month, eat well and exercise regularly. I have resorted to using acetone on my outbreaks on my lips and face. This is probably not safe but Im so depressed I dont care if its unhealthy I just dont want to suffer the stages anymore and acetone really cuts out the stages and length. In the past I have taken all kinds of random vitamins and still once a month outbreaks. Tomorrow I will run out and start Vit C I guess 10,000 to start since I am having an outbreak now. Thanks for the post, science is not making money off Herpes so we need to help ourself and communicate out successes.

Synchronicity

The bottle of Vit C I have says that each tab contains 200mg of Vit C. If I needed to take even 4g of vit c daily - that would mean I'd have to take 20 tabs daily! Are there megadose vit c tabs that I just don't know about? Or do you actually have to take 20 to 30 vit c tabs to achieve those megadose levels?

Legend

Hi everyone!

First off taumomi, yes you can live a normal life. Don't worry so much over the skin to skin thing. I would def NOT do anything when having an outbreak. Most people suggest waiting a week after your ob has healed to do anything (depending on what you have and where). Kiss all you want! Nothing wrong with it at all! Heck a lot of people have hsv-1 yet don't realize cold sores are herpes! I have hsv-2 but I still lead a normal life and normal sex life. We just make sure to clean up afterwards! Enjoy life! Don't worry :)

Kelly19067...calm down my friend! I know what its like to be stressed about it. Don't panic...and don't jump into 10,000mg of vitamin c! You're stomach won't be able to handle a heavy load right off. You're going to feel horrible...gassy...bloated...not good. You HAVE to ease in to it. I know you want fast results but this is going to take time. Read some of my previous posts. Start low and slow then build up. Trust me I really understand how you feel...but its a work in progress! Build up over time and things will work out for you...otherwise jumping in is going to overload your gut and you def don't want that. And since hsv1 and 2 are similar I don't see why vitamin c wouldn't help. Start low and work up...stay calm and breathe slowly. If you need someone to talk with ill be here...but please don't panic! When you see the results trust me its going to be worth it :)

Synchcrocity...I have a botle of 500 vitamins at 1,000mg each. I take a megadose of 39 grams a day...or 39 of these bad boys. I'm not saying you should take that much...but if you do want to try a megadose I would suggest finding a larger dosage other than 200mg.

Acesheart

Hey Legend, It is truly wonderful that you do take the time to help others. I have stayed on antiviral for 23 years and I do get yearly blood functions test to make sure the antivirals haven't taken a toll on my organs. I also take vitamin B complex liquid (goes under the tongue) for nerves health and energy. I dont use alot of Vitamin C as I have stomach ulcers and citrus seems to aggravate them terribly. None of the antibiotics have worked for my ulcers as they are peptic and they bleed quite often, it's stress related I have been told. I have only had 2ob's and I have been with my spouse 22 years. I like my regime and I take these meds for him as well. I live a completely normal life and I have a daughter as well. So I just wanted to say thank you for your informations on these healthier ways of keeping ob's at bay. I just had my 2nd ob just 7 weeks ago. It was stressed induced. No cure for that. Lmao.. Truly Ace, yep still smiling on. :)

starfish1

Hello. I just joined the forum today, but i have been reading these posts as a nonmember for quite a while. I have been in the midst of hellish outbreaks which has lasted one after the other for about two months now. Tried everything---herbs, valcyclovir. I was taking 1 vitamin c pill 1000 mg per day. But i read this thread yesterday and took about 15 Vitamin C pills instead of my usual one and I SWEAR my outbreak is clearing up. I would have usually taken 3 or 4 showers by now to relieve myself of the itching, stinging, burning--but i havent even taken a shower yet today!! I hope that it keeps it up. This could be the answer that we are all looking for! Thank u legend for sharing, i will keep u guys posted of my progress. :)

Legend

Congrats Ace! One of the best things we can tell anyone is how you CAN lead a normal life even with this disease!

Starfish...glad it seems to be helping. When it clears up I would def back down a bit. That is a big jump in dosage. Its not going to kill you but it'll make you uncomfy probably. Heck they've treated cancer patients with iv drips of over 100 grams with the side effect of upset belly and that's it!

I want to ask a question...perhaps this isn't the forum to ask on...but how would any of you feel if I gave a live speech on my story? I feel there are a lot of people...even on this forum...who won't read this section. I would love to do the motivational speaker bit and help others with this. Talk show people still haven't responded so I feel I need a new plan of action. If anyone could help me please do! Perhaps this forum site could start something? I don't know where to start but I want to stand in front of everyone and just let it all out and help everyone!

luvlyfe

Thanks for all the advice.........i will definitely get on those vitamins

Synchronicity

Legend..can I just tell you how awesome I think you are? Thank you so much for your constant contact and information. I have started to feel better these last couple of days. I upped my intake of camu camu and picked up a bottle of 1000mg vit c tabs today. I wholeheartedly support any efforts you'd make to get your message across.

If I can go a while without having an OBs by taking the vit c regularly - perhaps I will try slowly reducing my use of acyclovir. If Vit C is the answer to me not needing these antivirals anymore after 12 years - I feel like if I could afford it - I would buy a plane ticket to where you're at and give you a great big hug!

Thanks!!!!

Legend

You and everyone else are more than welcome. Its like I said before I had to share this. If a megadose helps me stay ob free...and heck a super megadose helped cancer patients...even curing in some cases...why not share the info?

Its helped others with their diseases...its helped me...why can't it help everyone else? I know the pain and suffering of herpes...its not just painful physically but mentally as well. I can't let others suffer. If this works for everyone else then dammit I need to tell others so they can stop their suffering too.

Why wait for a cure? Why wait for hope? Start something NOW! Herpes never rests...it always lurks...it attacks when we least expect it...so why not fight back now? I really REALLY hope that this regimen works for everyone. That'll make me happier than you know. If I can help but only one person...then it'll be worth it all to me. Helping others means that much to me and I hope everyone benefits from this and we can spread the success around and help even more people!

Harley1986
The bottle of Vit C I have says that each tab contains 200mg of Vit C. If I needed to take even 4g of vit c daily - that would mean I'd have to take 20 tabs daily! Are there megadose vit c tabs that I just don't know about? Or do you actually have to take 20 to 30 vit c tabs to achieve those megadose levels?

I just started taking powdered Sodium Acsorbate Vit C from Nutribiotics. Google it. I just mix it with water, and there is hardly a taste at all. You can also mix it in juice. One tsp is equal to almost 4500mg of Vit C. It costs a little more than pills, but not much. Use a coupon code you just google that too to save money.

Synchronicity

Thanks all! Just curious...have any of you experienced really great and sound sleep from upping your intake of vitamin c? I've been sleeping like I'm in a coma for the last few nights.

festivalchic

Inspiring stuff! Thank you :) I find fresh fruit and veg, vitamins, juicing and being HAPPY are the best things :) that and positivity :D

Synchronicity

Just when I thought I was feeling better..I discovered today that I have yet another OB. Feeling really sad and defeated. Legend..can I ask you something? How many OBs were you getting (frequency) when you decided to try vitamin c as a remedy? I'm feeling that because my OBs and prodrome are so frequent - that the vit c will simply not work for me.

Legend

Synch...oh man I'm so sorry to hear that. When I was gettings OBs I was having them every month and a half it seemed like. Sometimes more. Heck I had an OB and right as it scabbed another popped up.

I know what its like to feel defeated. Hey even when starting vitamin c I still had OBs...just not as much.

How much are you taking again? Just saying you might need to up it a little more. Also don't panic on me. Again I do understand how you feel. But you just started fighting with this I assume (vitamin c I mean). If so give it time. I know that sucks but that's all you can do. Up your dosage here and there and give it time.

Please don't give up on this. I'm still here and as I said I'm going to stand by you on this. Keep taking c...up it a little. Who knows...maybe you'll notice the OB won't last as long. If so...that's a start...and a very good sign.

Please keep me posted. Ill be here if you need to talk.

Btw...if you're taking only 2000 or 3000mg I hate to say but you may not see much improvement. I saw just a smidge but it wasn't until I started hitting 10000mg or more a day that I saw much more improvement. Again...it will take time...and it will take a decent amount of vitamin c. I hate to say that...I wish only a few thousand mg did the trick.

Again...tell me your dosage and we can discuss the upping. I want to say it took me a few months before really reaching the first big stretch of no OBs. Damn now I wished I had wrote down this stuff.

Synchronicity

Thank you so much for your reply Legend. I guess I am especially alarmed because I have gotten worse despite my increase in my acyclovir dosage. I expected to also see some difference with that but it only got worse. I take a tsp of camu camu 3 times a day now (pkg says one tsp is 200% of the RDA of vit c) so I estimate that to be about 1200mg and have also been taking about 5000 to 6000g of the tabs. I think I will try going for 10000mg tomorrow. If you say it takes a while - I will try to be patient. It's encouraging that this was your experience. Thanks so much for being so supportive Legend. I truly appreciate it. I'll let you know how I'm doing these next couple of days.

Legend

Hmmmm. Okay....you're close to 10 grams but not quiet there. If you feel so bump up to 10 grams. Will that be total or are you going to up your pill dosage to 10 grams?

Def sounds like a plan to me :). If so maybe increase the liquid dosage as well?

Meant to ask are you spacing your pills out 3x daily as well? If so that's good...if not try to space them out too!

Keep fighting this virus! And def up your dosage at times when you feel the time is right. I was upping my dosage for a while every two weeks...well average was two weeks. I hope things will start working for you. And even though you're having an OB I hope the increase will knock it out quick!

Synchronicity

Thanks Legend...I have been taking one 1000mg tab about every hour or so - perhaps I was up to 7 or 8 yesterday. I just counted out 10 and left them sitting on the kitchen counter so that I don't have to try and remember how much I took today (a little easier). This will be in addition to the camu. The gas has been a bit brutal to deal with. Does this get better? I am contemplating trying the lipospheric vit c to see if it makes a drastic difference. I figure - I don't smoke or have any other expensive habits - so if I'm going to try something different it might as well be that. I'll let you know if I do.

I feel a bit better today but have been putting Manuka Honey UMF 16 on the sores and it works like a charm. Just wish I didn't have to deal with it altogether. I'll see how the rest of this week goes.

Thanks again friend!

Legend

Try this...space your vitamin c out per meal. If you're going to take 10 a day...do 3 at breakfast and dinner/supper...whatever you call it. Then take 4 for lunch.

Yeah I had gas too for a while...but I eventually got over it. Perhaps if spacing it out like this it'll help your system. Also I feel this si the best method of taking them...3x daily per meal. This, in my opinion, helps keep a constant attack in the system.

Every 4 to 5 hours...depending how you eat...you replenish your vit c and keep it steady if you will.

Hope it helps not just herpes but your belly as well :)

lookinforrelief

sync......

you can make your own liposomal vitamin c also. i saw somewhere that when you buy it, its about $1.00 a gram but if you make it it cost about .15 cents per gram. you can youtube it. i ordered the materials last week. currently i am taking legend's advice and spacing it out. i want to be able to eventually take more liposomal and less pill form cause it gives me the runs for real but like i saw legend posted hopefully it will go away for like it did for him.

legend....

im almost three weeks on a mega dose of vit c. i plan on taking as much as you cause it has helped some but still a little there. i do feel better!! like you i want to defeat, kill, stomp this damn thing in the face. im thinkin that since ive had this since sept 2011 with no relief it will prob take a couple or few months to get better. i have more good than bad days....hopefully it will be all good days soon. thanks again for your help legend....i dont know what i would do without your advice. i prob would be in a super darker place than i was....i was seriously thinking darks thoughts. i didn't want to live anymore but now i see light at the end of the tunnel and i want to reach it. THANKS legend!!! i will keep you updated.:flowers:

Legend

That's great Relief! I'm glad you've got a game face on! So it does seem to be helping you? I've had herpes going on 3 years and its got me down plenty. But heck no I'm fighting this sucker like a beast!

I hope that the vit c regimen will work for you and Synch and everyone else that tries! I also hope that you will keep me updated as well. As with Synch and everyone else...if you have any questions feel free to ask me!