World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Legend

My Story On Herpes, Vitamin C, and How I Beat It!!!

Boogie123
hi all. Im finding it strange that I have changed my diet from not too balanced to pretty healthy I bought a nutribullet recently and have been making lots of morning smoothies ..in these I have combined,,home made yogurt, coconut oil,avocado,pumkin seeds, pineapple, apricots, spinach beetroot... so basically lots of healthy foods, also Im pretty much wheat free and make chicken stock with bones which, according to the GAPS diet is very good for you .Also been going to bed hours earlier.. YET ....in all of this Ive managed to suffer a really bad OB just b4 my period so Im not su

re whats happened there,, the only relief I have found is topical zinc powder.. anyone got ideas on this?

You may want to consider adding some camu camu powder to your smoothies. You can get it at Whole Foods or health food stores. It's packed with vitamin C and antioxidants. The flavor is a combo of sweet/tart. I have found it tastes best in smoothies or yogurt.

Legend
Vitamin c. May help reduce ob but it does not cure hsv. That why u. Claim of getting rid of your hvs is redicous

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

If you actually took the time to READ my first post you will notice I state MORE THAN ONCE that it is NOT A CURE! For example:

"And now six months straight and no problems, I have beat herpes. I'm NOT, and I repeat I am NOT saying I've cured myself."

"Many of you have been waiting for a cure...been waiting for an answer. I believe with all my heart that this IS THE ANSWER! We don't know if a cure will ever happen...but why wait? Why suffer until that hopeful day? There is NOTHING we can do to speed up a cure...but there IS something you can do against herpes...VITAMIN C." (So pretty much what I'm saying here is there is NO CURE but as long as we are waiting for one then use Vitamin C as your source to fight herpes).

"Again, it's NOT a cure, but it is the hope many have waited for until a cure arrives."

"Just cause you're not cured doesn't mean you haven't beat it."

Sooo...that's at least FOUR TIMES I say in my first post it is NOT A CURE. No offense but for someone who just joined on this site (from what it looks like), then to come to this forum and make a statement like you did really is insulting and speaks volumes about you.

You come on here, apparently don't take them time to read what all I write, then have the nerve to state (and misspell words very badly might I add) what I'm saying is ridiculous. You have def started off the wrong foot with me and no offense, but for future reference, I would HIGHLY suggest you read what people are saying and not come along and make statements about how something someone is saying is ridiculous. Again, go back to the FIRST PAGE, read my FIRST POST, and notice (if you don't read my quotes above) how I state MULTIPLE TIMES IT IS NOT A CURE!

The whole point of this site is to help one another to fight this virus, not to go around saying how people are making ridiculous statements. Learn to read posts in their entirety before going around saying negative things like you do.

Legend
hi all. Im finding it strange that I have changed my diet from not too balanced to pretty healthy I bought a nutribullet recently and have been making lots of morning smoothies ..in these I have combined,,home made yogurt, coconut oil,avocado,pumkin seeds, pineapple, apricots, spinach beetroot... so basically lots of healthy foods, also Im pretty much wheat free and make chicken stock with bones which, according to the GAPS diet is very good for you .Also been going to bed hours earlier.. YET ....in all of this Ive managed to suffer a really bad OB just b4 my period so Im not sure whats happened there,, the only relief I have found is topical zinc powder.. anyone got ideas on this?

I would def try some Vitamin C and see how it works for you. A healthier diet and lifestyle change couldn't hurt, but Vitamin C has def been a life changer for me (and others on here it would seem).

I have read about all these foods that "feed the herpes virus" if you will and cause even more outbreaks. I don't really buy in to that as I have ate a lot of these foods and haven't seen an increase in OB at all. Vitamin C has seriously kept me OB free for long periods of time (even during times when I've been sick and stressed...two factors that seem to agitate the body and cause OB to happen more often). If you try it go for the 1,000mg and not the 500mg bottles.

fropeful
You may want to consider adding some camu camu powder to your smoothies. You can get it at Whole Foods or health food stores. It's packed with vitamin C and antioxidants. The flavor is a combo of sweet/tart. I have found it tastes best in smoothies or yogurt.

Yes Ive seen it online and probably will try it :), however Im still confused how I get a worst OB after changing my diet for the better :/ Im also thinking maybe to try kefir...

fropeful
I would def try some Vitamin C and see how it works for you. A healthier diet and lifestyle change couldn't hurt, but Vitamin C has def been a life changer for me (and others on here it would seem).

I have read about all these foods that "feed the herpes virus" if you will and cause even more outbreaks. I don't really buy in to that as I have ate a lot of these foods and haven't seen an increase in OB at all. Vitamin C has seriously kept me OB free for long periods of time (even during times when I've been sick and stressed...two factors that seem to agitate the body and cause OB to happen more often). If you try it go for the 1,000mg and not the 500mg bottles.

I think Ill try the camu camu first as suggested by Boogie123 only because Im trying to stick with food source but I guess its worth a go.. to be fair I am a smoker so Im probably depleting serious amounts of vit c

Acesheart
I think Ill try the camu camu first as suggested by Boogie123 only because Im trying to stick with food source but I guess its worth a go.. to be fair I am a smoker so Im probably depleting serious amounts of vit c

Hi fropeful, my Vitamin B12 complex sublingual has been my key to healthy nerves and no outbreaks (in my opinion). I have ghsv2 for 26 years and I have only had 2 outbreaks ever. I took my vitamins before I got my herps, I worked day & night daily jobs, needed the energies. This vitamin supports healthy nerves systems and gives reliefs from stress & anxiety and gives much needed energies too :) . All good benefits . Here is a link to the ratio of Arginine rich foods vs Lysine rich foods to counter act this. http://www.herpes-coldsores.com/messageforum/threads/putting-a-little-light-on-lysine-and-arginine-foods-and-other-things.51281/ This is an awesome read. Hugs Peace :hithere:

positivity_is_the_key

So I was recently diagnosed with HSV2 on April 2, 2014. Worst day ever :( I cried and cried I couldn't believe it! Well here I am now feeling extremely depressed trying to find home remedies to ease the pain because urinating, walking, sitting, getting up have become hell for me. I've tried the whole applying baking soda on the sores, I've tried applying cooled tea bags directly on the sores. But after trying the baking soda, I feel it made it worse. I woke up to 3 new sores. I cry and have thought that this isn't worth living thru. BUT I am a strong person and I refuse to allow myself to get depressed and let this get the best of me. I came across this thread and Legend has truly given me hope. I actually started taking vitamin C, A and E yesterday. I am also on a anti biotic but I am very anti meds. I most def going to try the whole vitamin C thing because I truly believe vitamins is the way to go. Makes no sense on why it wouldn't help. If anyone has any tips or advice I would greatly appreciate it. This is my first outbreak and these passed few days have been the worst days of my life. I have two kids and for them to see me in such bad pain hurts my heart. Legend thanks for this thread, you really have given me hope. I was meant to come across this.

CaringGal

When i first went through HSV2 first outbreak in 2012, i Do Believe I faithfully bought and took Vitamin C and D

everyday, once i basically got through that hard 2-4 week period of being very ill. My last outbreak last year was

in March 13, and this year March of 14 (so I went one whole year without a blister breakout. I had or do not

know if i am shedding. I have no symptoms that i can detect or feel within my body. I did take a lot of C daily for

about 10 months from the beginning and i have not taken after that time. I fed my body a lot of C. Maybe taking

a lot of C initially helps from the get-go as to trying to figure this whole HSV-2/.....My Input :)

Bluemind

I was diagnosed janurary 2014 and I felt just the way your feeling I took the anti viral for a mo. And the side effects were awful. I stopped taking them. I had a mess down there as far as itching a swollen shut vagina.. But I read a lot of feeds up here and what worked for me I take2 500 my lysine and 1 b-12 daily it took about a week or 2 and the itching eased up and my discharge is gone and my vagina is opening back up. Going on 4 months with it and I forgot about it until someone replied to my post. Its scary and it can consume your life if you let it I woke up and said fuck it I'm not gonna keep stressing and crying makes it worse . I had a breakdown crying and feeling bad about this disease and sure Enough bumps popped up! So you have no choice to be strong. And I chose to give up sex fôr awhile that way my vagina can heal up and I dont have to add more stress by explaining myself or risk being rejected or infecting anyone

So I was recently diagnosed with HSV2 on April 2, 2014. Worst day ever :( I cried and cried I couldn't believe it! Well here I am now feeling extremely depressed trying to find home remedies to ease the pain because urinating, walking, sitting, getting up have become hell for me. I've tried the whole applying baking soda on the sores, I've tried applying cooled tea bags directly on the sores. But after trying the baking soda, I feel it made it worse. I woke up to 3 new sores. I cry and have thought that this isn't worth living thru. BUT I am a strong person and I refuse to allow myself to get depressed and let this get the best of me. I came across this thread and Legend has truly given me hope. I actually started taking vitamin C, A and E yesterday. I am also on a anti biotic but I am very anti meds. I most def going to try the whole vitamin C thing because I truly believe vitamins is the way to go. Makes no sense on why it wouldn't help. If anyone has any tips or advice I would greatly appreciate it. This is my first outbreak and these passed few days have been the worst days of my life. I have two kids and for them to see me in such bad pain hurts my heart. Legend thanks for this thread, you really have given me hope. I was meant to come across this.

iagn

worthing2521
Ladies and gentlemen, I'm going to make a long post but I hope you will read it all. I also hope you will read it with an open mind. I can NOT prove anything to you, all I can say is you would need to try it for yourself. Now, let me begin...

Last year I came on here talking about eating raw foods and ridding yourself of toxins and how that could help with an outbreak. I was wrong. Within 2 months I had an outbreak, and needless to say I was embarrassed. So my ex-girlfriend and I did some more research. After all, I was having an OB every month and half to 2 months and I was sick of it. I even had an OB once, and when it began to scab over I immediately had another! An OB on top of an OB! It was too much!

I refused anti-virals, as for many years I've been against medicine. I took one take of anti-virals and that was enough for me. First off, WAY to expensive! Second, I learned of the long term effects. No thank you! Anyways, we began reading...a LOT of reading on vitamins. We researched them, read of them, watched videos and documentaries of them...and needless to say we were shocked! The things that vitamins can do for you!

I won't get in to the whole FDA thing. I'm not for them at all, and of course, there is little to no profit in vitamins. I truly believe they want you to be partially sick at all times. Hey, as long as you take medicine, they make money! They'll tell you this and that on vitamins and such.

Well, we know that SOME vitamins have a toxicity (take too much and it can be toxic). However, many vitamins aren't. Welcome vitamin C. We learned so much on C. Did you know that in some cases patients were giving over 100 grams (aka 100,000mg) of vitamin C through an IV and it cured their cancer? Vitamin C is supposed to help with your immune system...it's supposed to be good for your nervous system. I researched Linus Pauling and even read one of his books. Megadoses of Vitamin C seemed to be the answer. So I decided to make myself my own guinea pig.

I learned that the FDA approved 500-1,000mg of Vitamin C a day to help ward off certain diseases...like scurvy. But what about herpes? I had to know. Slowly last year I began to take Vitamin C...and after some time I'd up my dosage. Within months I saw improvement! And it only got better and better. Come May I had no outbreak...then in August I had one. After a span of FOUR MONTHS I didn't have an outbreak! FOUR MONTHS...NO OUTBREAK! Compared to about every month or month and a half...FOUR MONTHS! I KNEW I was on to something. At this time I was taking over 20,000mg (20 grams) of Vitamin C a day.

Now during this time we read where the FDA said megadoses of C could constrict your arteries. I wasn't flinched at all. After all, this is the FDA we're talking about. I don't listen to them when it comes to vitamins and medicine. Like I said, I have my beliefs on them. Besides, I read where people took 90+ GRAMS A DAY for many years with no problems. By the way, the article we read said that they weren't 100% sure on this statement either. So, yeah. As of now I take 38 grams or 38,000mg a day. Yes, 38 pills a day and I plan to up it again!

So my OB heals up in August, I'm now a single man, and I continue increasing my dosage. Ladies and gentlemen, I am now SIX MONTHS...I repeat SIX (6) MONTHS with NO outbreak. Folks, I believe with all my heart I'm on to something here! First off, I went through A LOT of depression and stress between September and December. No OB. I ALSO had strep throat and had 100 to 101 degree fevers daily for almost 2 weeks. Still, NO OUTBREAK! How can it be then, that I was stressed and depressed and sick with high fevers, all of which would cause anyone else an outbreak, yet I didn't?

There is SO MUCH I could say right now...so much I could explain. I know I rarely visit this site, but ladies and gentlemen, I had to make sure this would work before I ever came on here and mentioned it. And now six months straight and no problems, I have beat herpes. I'm NOT, and I repeat I am NOT saying I've cured myself. But I DO NOT take anti-virals...just vitamins. Yes, I take others on top of C.

Many of you have been waiting for a cure...been waiting for an answer. I believe with all my heart that this IS THE ANSWER! We don't know if a cure will ever happen...but why wait? Why suffer until that hopeful day? There is NOTHING we can do to speed up a cure...but there IS something you can do against herpes...VITAMIN C.

Say what you want, think what you want. You can be against me completely...you can call me a liar, this and that...make fun of me. I know what has worked for me and if you so choose to think or talk negative towards me, so be it. I can't control what you say or do. But if ANYONE is interested or wants to try or wants to have some belief in me...then I'll say this...IT WORKS!

A bottle of 500 pills, 1,000mg each costs LESS than $20 at wal-mart (I live in Middle TN so of course prices will vary). IF you do decide to do this you MUST do this daily. Start slow, then gradually build up. Your body will tell you when it's time to up your dosage. It has took me a year to get to where I am, but I've done it...I've beat herpes without ANY medicine. I eat right, I exercise, and I take vitamins and megadoses of vitamin C.

I'll be honest with you, I'd LOVE more than anything to be a motivational speaker on this and I meant that. I would love more than anything to help ANYONE with this disease who wants help. Again, it's NOT a cure, but it is the hope many have waited for until a cure arrives. Yes, after a while it can cost alot (I pay almost 60 a month for it, but it's working so I'm NOT going to stop). I can not promise results will be the same for you as me, considering how and what I eat. I can't promise that after this I won't have an OB. BUT, if I've kept it under control for six months straight, then it's doing something.

You can NOT tell me vitamins don't do anything for diseases. I've proven it to myself! I know they do! How else would I not have an OB for six months when I was having them left and right before? Ladies and gentlement...I don't know what else to say right now. All I can say is, I really hope you all will try this. You do need to eat right though...it seems to help just a little. Exercising as well. But please, if only one of you would hear me...just know, there is hope. You can beat this yourself. Just cause you're not cured doesn't mean you haven't beat it. It doesn't bother me at all that I have it. I know I can kick its butt...I take vitamin C and a lot! I won the battle...I did something I never done before...I took control of it and I didn't need a doctor or medicine. Just good ol' vitamins.

I hope many if not all of you will listen and take to heart what I said. I hope many if not all of you will try this. I will say I rarely get on the internet, as I have to go somewhere for free wi-fi. But now that I've posted this I will try to get on at least once a week if anyone has questions or comments. I will do my very best to get online as much and help and answer anything I can. I want to help! There's no reason why I should sit on this info and not pass it on...I want all of you to beat it just as I did. Be strong, take care, and remember, I have type 2 herpes...but I beat that sucker. I may have an OB sometime down the road...but it's not gonna come up every month or two like it used to. I beat it, and you can and will too! Take care, stay strong, and never give up hope. I didn't...and it's paid off!

worthing2521

Thank you so much for your very valuable and helpful discovery of Vitamin C therapy, I have also increased my Vitaimin C to 10,000 mg daily, because my Doctor had mentioned that Linus Pauling was actually megadosing on Vitamin C. Now

i believe i can go higher safely thanks to your post. It seemed that my obs, became less severe even on the 10,000 mg Vitamin C daily protocol. But now you have opened my eyes to the possiblity of no obs, at all, with even higher doses, I will try it,

this virus has plagued my life for over 36 years now, I had tried everything , with no results to speak of. I think you are truly on to something, Also, i had added much more zinc to my diet, with supplements, and i think also it too has been very beneficial

in lessening obs, and severity of obs. Thank you again, so much , we must depend on each other, to beat this, obviously

the medical community does not get it. and still yet more evidence, the industry is all about the money,

TheL1ght

Vitamin C is indeed very powerful and may very well be the solution for Cancer especially in comparison to CHEMO or (Chemical Therapy)

My only question and concern here is what your source for the said dosage of Vitamin C is because if it isn't pure, then that's a lot of synthetic filler and toxins you're consuming as well.....

DontJuan

well I did have shingles a few months ago ..on my back and I took the Valtrex for 2 days only then stopped eating a day except for vitamin C and then took 2000 mg vit c a day for 7 days and  a week later my shingles started to resolve and was gone in total after 14 days. This is short time for shingles which usually lasts 4 weeks. So yes Vit C helps. (Shingles is HSV 4 or 5 )

joyful1023

This is very interesting!!! I am looking for new, natural ways to prevent outbreaks. What is the exact supplement I should be looking for? I am based in the UK 

thanks!

SureWhyNot

Vitamin C is one of the forgiving vitamins. You will pee out what your body cannot use. Make sure you get one without a lot of filler since you plan on taking more than just a daily supplement.

Mayo Clinic says... For adults, the recommended dietary reference intake for vitamin C is 65 to 90 milligrams (mg) a day, and the upper limit is 2,000 mg a day. Although too much dietary vitamin C is unlikely to be harmful, megadoses of vitamin C supplements may cause: Diarrhea. Nausea.

When  fighting an OB I take 1000mg at a time and have taken it 3 times a day without problem but usually do twice a day until things resolve one way or other. Not as a daily supplement though, that would be 1 x 500mg a day.

Flyingcows

Reviving this simply because there is some good information tucked in here. I'll be writing my own review shortly, but you might be surprised what the very affordable, vitamin C could do for you...

JaneyB

I'm also interested in revitalising this topic. I have tried everything to keep my re-occurant cold sores under control and I'm kind-of surprised this is the first I've heard of mega dosing vitamin C. I've been doing a lot of reading from the doctors who are big proponents of high dose vitamin C - Levy, Cathcart, etc. so I plan to start a protocol soon.

There is an interesting presentation by Levy (youtube Levy & Vitamin C Antidote where he says there are two instances where vitamin C is difficult to treat viruses and one is chronic viruses because they hide and access by the vitamin c is difficult ,so to overcome you need to take high and longterm doses, long enough for all immune cells to turn over - but he didn't give specific doses or timeframe. 

There is a document - Clinical Guide to the Use of Vitamin C, Dr. Klenner that indicates 20g/day for herpes, amongst other things.

Where I'm still confused is the best form of C to be using, particularly at high doses over a long period of time. 

WilsoInAus
Posted (edited)

Hey @JaneyB

Please note that there is no substance that has been proven to be directly effective in reducing herpes outbreak frequency outside of antivirals.

What is your outbreak frequency?

If it is high, it is important to consider immune function. Your doctor will need to advise you here regarding potential issues such as thyroid. You might find for example that iodine deficiency is your issue. There are as many 'potassium iodine' stories as there are vitamin C stories. 

There does seem to be large ratio of stories of people starting treatments rather than reporting them as successful. This is not because their approach isn't reasonable, it just isn't the right approach for them.

Please seek help from a range of advisors, from dietitians to herbalists to traditional medicine to chiropractors (yes there are many stories about how good bone structure and positioning reduces outbreak frequency!).

Who knows what is right for any of us, I just feel you give yourself a better chance with a less random chance than what Google may drum up :)

In the end, there is a cause that outweighs most others by some margin - stress. The deadliest poison of all!

Edited by WilsoInAus

JaneyB
Posted (edited)

Thanks for the advice but I have seen every practitioner under the sun - accupuncture, naturopath, homeopath and discussed this extensively with my doctor, I've had a range of tests including nutritional...so many I can't remember. I see a chiropractor every 4-6 weeks and have done for years. I have also done antiviral therapy...didn't work so well and just stresses out my liver. I also think it might be more effective for genital herpes, not cold sores. However, I might try it again. In January I got the shingles vaccine.

I get frequent cold sore and have done for over 20 years now. If really lucky, I'll go 6 months without one, but when bad I get them every couple weeks, for months at a time. I can find no clear trigger, however, I do get them worse in the winter so I suspect it is immune related. I agree stress is an issue but I will get them when I am not stressed at all. I also have healthy lifestyle factors. I can only assume I am genetically predisposed to getting them frequently. 

Edited by JaneyB

WilsoInAus

Antivirals were actually tuned to HSV-1 in their creation, but I suggest there's a pretty equivalent impact on the herpes types.

The thyroid is pretty pivotal, have you had testing on thyroid function and iodine related medication?

I'll add one supplement for you to consider. Zinc picolate (must be picolate, other forms of zinc are too weak) is described as facilitating the immune system, especially as it relates to skin health. Interestingly the combination with vitamin C is also seen as powerful in some contexts, not explicitly herpes as far as I'm aware.

JaneyB

Thanks I'll look into that form of zinc, sounds familiar. Yes, have had my thyroid tested - T3, T4, reverse T3, the works. My old naturopath was really big on thyroid health. It is a bit sluggish and I was on a low dose thyroxine for a while, went off and it's remained at an optimal level for the past year, but I get it checked regularly. My doctor didn't think that I needed it but she was willing to put me on a low dose. 

WilsoInAus

How about your outbreaks, are you sure they can all be attributed to herpes. Could staph or chelitis be a possibility?

JaneyB

Definitely all HSV, wish I could contribute it to something else. 

cracked
3 hours ago, JaneyB said:

I can only assume I am genetically predisposed to getting them frequently. 

There is indeed a gene that is hereditary and predisposes some people to have more recurrent outbreaks.