Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
anotherteenager

Reliability of these so called 'cures'

5 posts in this topic

So I've just been reading all the posts on this section, I'm from Australia and I was wondering, is there really going to be a cure?? And when do you reckon any products/ injections associated with curing the disease will make it to the market?

Realistically, 15-20 years if the current research holds promising results in human clinical studies. It takes ages for new drugs to hit the market and that is the typical time frame. There are exceptions, such as with Guardasil vaccine. I know it sucks having this virus, but there is SO many more worse things to have than hsv. We all hope for a cure, all in the same boat, but we can't put our lives on hold waiting for that day, in case it never comes-and that is a real possibility. No virus has been cured to date, but research is making incredible strides towards acheiving that in about the last 10 years. And how much more do HIV +ve people need a cure more than us? Think about it, if we got hsv 100 years ago we would have had to just weather the storm there wasn't even topical aciclovir until the 80's so of course there will be better treatments available soon. I badly hope for a cure like the majority of users on here, but unfortunately it's going to be a while. Even though several scientists now have promising breakthroughs and results, there's just no money for them to develop it further. At least there are scientists working on it, even if it takes a while. It would be frustrating if nothing was being researched. It comes down to, no one knows when or if there'll be a cure, we have to wait and see for now. So many people are affected by this so don't forget you are not alone and we are all hoping for something that will help us eventually.

Hi OneDay,

I hear you loud and clear except for the wait and see part. While I realize a cure may be a while coming there are researchers right now asking for funds to speed up the process. As you noted, there are so many infected with HSV and even while the medical community still considers it a non-issue these numbers could accelerate research for a cure much quicker. There is power in our numbers and momentum in the research for a cure--we are lucky to have it. I hope to be working directly with this site in reaching more people and driving fundraising. Even with only 30,000 on this site we would need only $50 from each person to get Bloom and Cullen the 1.5 million I hear they need for clinicial trials....How can we as a collective not fund this work? How can we not send e-mails of encouragement and support to Coridon? How can we sit and wait while some lives are ruined by HSV? and how can we belittle a virus that has been linked to Alzheimers, blindess, brain damage, painful sores, depression/suicide, neonatal death and possibly cancer. There is also increased risk of HIV transmission especially in the thirld world. Now i'm not saying it's the worst thing in the world but it is a virus we should be fighting actively and passionately! I know no one has a childhood dream of carrying the Herpes flag but I ask that you help out in anyway possible...

E-mail me at timothymax1@gmail.com if you want to help!

-

I don't mean sit back, wait and do nothing, I mean wait and see as in seeing how clinical trial results in humans go. I am all for donating to speed up research process. My $50 has already gone to Blooms research, as well as to Cullen and Halfords Vaccine. I agree, it would be great if everyone on here spared just $50 to research and really believe we would make a huge step forward to success against this virus and cut years off the day it arrives!

So I've just been reading all the posts on this section, I'm from Australia and I was wondering, is there really going to be a cure?? And when do you reckon any products/ injections associated with curing the disease will make it to the market?

Aicuris AIC 316 is approaching Phase III trials already, which could be available easily within 3-5 years -- while not a 'cure', it's a suppressant several orders of magnitude better than the best available today. See the pinned threads on 'top treatments in the works' ('upcoming new herpes drugs') for more info on a number of novel approaches for antivirals and vaccines, some of which promise to be outright cures.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Latest Buzz

• staypositiv3
      No disrespect to doctors here but not all doctors are good doctors.  I was not happy with my former gynecologist so I looked for a new one-- I had too many questions/concerns about herpes and she didn't seem knowledgeable.  You can certainly do that and you don't have to question/argue with them either.  I was told the same thing by my (former) gyn -- 6 OBs (actual blisters) before she gives me suppression meds.  Eventually she gave in because I complained too much about frequent prodrome.    
    • Free73
      You don't need to argue with your doctor, but perhaps worry about if and when you meet someone and it becomes sexual. At that point you can approach your doctor again and politely request that you have spoken to your new partner and you both agreed that for the relationship to go further and for mutual peace of mind, your partner requires you to take a daily suppressant. I would think at that point that your doctor won't deny you. If he does, then seek out another doctor
    • WilsoInAus
      Overall I would agree that there is no reason you cannot take a daily dose if you so choose. Your doctor is fairly presenting an opinion but it stops at that. His opinion is fair, after all, mankind existed for thousands of years with herpes and no antivirals extremely successfully. I take it you had a blood test? Which test and what were the results?
    • WilsoInAus
      Hey @Honeybee_ good talking in chat and a great first post. Can I just check, how did the diagnosis come about, was it a blood test for a swab test? I am sorry about your partner. It does seem though that things have crystallised for him. If it wasn't meant to be then in time you will come to acceptance of this and realise it is hence for hte best.
    • purpleherple
      I was just diagnosed with HSV2 just over two months ago and I am still struggling with this and trying to make the best of it. I've read the Good News About the Bad News and I have been reading numerous articles and forum posts on the subject. I feel that I have started to get a grasp on the situation and what I may be in store for. I'm not completely over feeling the negative aspects of this but I don't feel like I'm in a pit of despair anymore and want to begin to feel better.

I have been single for almost a year and I feel prepared to possibly give dating a shot again. In preparation for this and knowing often the asymptomatic shedding occurs, I made an appointment with my doctor to get a prescription for an anti-viral.

I was a bit surprised to have my doctor tell me that he was basically just going to prescribe the medication for outbreak management. I have only had two outbreaks in the last three years (from what I know now I was misdiagnosed years ago when I had an initial outbreak and by a dermatologist of all people!) and he used having 6 outbreaks a year as a baseline of whether or not I would need daily suppressive therapy. I pressed him on this further with my concern of transmission to another person as my outbreaks are few and far between and are very mild (at least I can be thankful for that). I was told that as long as I'm using condoms and abstaining when I have outbreaks that I wont transmit it.

I didn't feel like arguing with him and I sort of don't feel like I should argue with an experienced medical professional, but I thought this was how the medical community used to handle this (maybe around the 80's and 90's) until they better understood how often shedding occurred. From just about everything I've read that just doesn't seem true and condoms only protect the area they cover leaving everything else vulnerable to transmission. I know even with condoms and medication it is still possible, but the risk is greatly reduced. Does the advice I was given seem out of touch?

The only other conclusion I can try to grasp is that because I have such infrequent outbreaks I don't shed as much or there is less of a risk? I have yet to read anything that would back that up.

If it does seem off I don't feel like I can tell my doctor to prescribe me more for daily suppressant or that I disagree with his medical advice. Do I go to different doctor and try to explain this or a family planning center? It's such a pain to establish with another doctor and I feel like a dick telling him I think he's not giving me the best info.

I was really hoping to feel less burdened by this disease today, but this took the wind out of my sails. I just don't feel that I would be giving a potential future partner the best scenario to prevent infection and makes me feel less confident in putting myself back out there.

Do you think going to a family planning center would be better or they would understand where I'm coming from and suggest daily therapy? It seems like they deal with sti's more directly and could be more knowledgeable.
    • Honeybee_
      Today I was diagnosed with HSV-1.  About a week ago I was with my partner, well ex partern now. And he gave me oral sex, after I noticed he had a cold sore that looked like it was healing so I didn't question it. Well Thursday I had and gyn app and thought if it was anything the Pap smear would pick it up or even the doctor would. Well when I got home I googled herpes, I know the worst thing ever to do it Google. Well it told me a Pap smear could not test for it that I had to get a swab, that Friday I started to noticed a ulcer like sore and immediately got freaked out. Monday morning I went to the doctor, explained to him and at first we thought I had cut myself with a razor or something because it was on my labia. Of course we were both wrong because I do have it. Tonight I told my ex partner that I was diagnosed with it he simply didn't care and then about 15 minutes later he tells me he couldn't do it anymore and that he was in love with another girl..... How am I supposed to cope with this? I know living with it isn't the end of the world but why does it feel like it? 
    • WilsoInAus
      This confirms that you have HSV-1, it will not be wrong. The only question is location. Unless you have a swab from your genital area, then this is almost certainly an oral infection. The number is not high, it is perfectly normal. It shows that your blood at the time of sample had a healthy level of antibodies. All this suggests you have had oral HSV-1 since before living memory. 70% of the population have oral HSV-1. As you've never had a known outbreak, chances are you will have a very low outbreak frequency in the future. This is all nothing to be concerned about at all. It is just a virus that has clearly not caused a single issue for you and this is likely to continue.
    • Lisajd
      So you are worried about disclosing and the whole town find out about your herpes but what about the fact that you are seeing a married man and what that might look like if that gets out regardless of his relationship is open.   No judgement here but why would you actually be involved in someone like that
    • Free73
      More life advice from me. Cease all contact with this guy and get on with your life. You don't need to tell him anything. He is self esteem comes from fucking as many women as he can while being in a sham marriage. This is why I always say that herpes is an opportunity for self growth, if you allow it to be. Never ever accept crumbs from anyone, because when you do, you are basically devaluing yourself and yo are opening yourself up to messy and hurtful situations. I have been there and done it all........swinging, open situations etc. It's all a load of dogsh*t. You can have a thrilling sex life without getting involved with douchebags who are attached.    
    • evonna
      Received a HSV 1 diagnoses of 46.60 and 0.91 for HSV 2. The test was HSV 1 and 2- Specific AB, IGG. I wanted to know if it's possible for this test to be wrong. Also, if the test isn't wrong. Why is the HSV 1 so high. Does this mean I'm going to get an outbreak soon? I've never had an outbreak before.  Any response will be greatly appreciated. I"m really freaking out.  Thanks.
  • Featured