World's Largest Herpes Support Group

• Donate

If Honeycomb has helped you, please help us by making a donation so we can provide you with even better features and services.

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • 0_unsure-if-it-is-herpes.png

Nervous about dating with herpes? Skip "the talk" and browse profiles here.

• Aubrey77
      Thank you 
    • WilsoInAus
      Hey @Aubrey77 these symptoms are not something that oral HSV-1 can cause. In the end herpes would do what it does best and this is cause a sore somewhere on the lips . It might tingle a little as it forms, be inconvenient as it blisters and then crust as it heals and all look a little unsightly. But that’s herpes.    No reason to disbelieve your doctors thoughts on your issues.
    • Aubrey77
      Any feed back is welcome. I get these small bumps inside my right cheek. They do not hurt or burst. They just come and go. I showed them to doctors and the say they come up with stress and foods. Problem is I have pain and muscle spasms down right arm and in legs. Are these all ongoing issues for getting virus? I am not sure was going on with my body anymore 
    • Runner278
      Update: met with PCP Friday to get a referral to neurologist. During the discussion he discussed my low white blood cell count from a test I took in February. My count is/was 3.61. I asked him if that could be contributing to slow development of antibodies. He didn’t really react to it much. With that said, I did take another IGG test Friday which came back negative. I’m at week 12 post suppressive therapy and week 14 total without taking AVs. I emailed Terri Warren to see if she feels I need to wait longer to take the western blot to allow my WBC to increase and/or allow antibodies to develop. I want to use the WB as the final step in my testing journey and I don’t want to have to question the results.    Anyone have any experience or knowledge of someone with low/lower WBC and how long it took them to seroconvert?
    • asdfz
      Does anyone know what the side effects of pritelivir are?  Has anyone on this site actually tried it? 
Sign in to follow this  
Lemoni

HSV2 Oral?

Lemoni

So if someone performs oral sex on a vagina with HSV2 can that person contract HSV2 in the mouth? Does HSV2 ever have outbreaks in the mouth? I have heard it does not even effect the mouth, only HSV1 does. Is that correct?

daisy#1

To my knowledge HSV-2 can live in the mouth and produce outbreaks, although they aren't as common as HSV-1 mouth outbreaks because it's harder for HSV-2 to produce them. But it can live there, and can produce outbreaks and you can get it from oral sex on someone who has HSV-2.

Searching

HSV-2 can also live in the skin of the face and in/around the nose if oral is performed on an infected person. Outbreaks will occur as/almost as frequently on the face as the genital region. It does not discriminate its host. Itching and redness can be very persistant. That is a myth that HSV1 is above the belt and HSV2 is below. There are two viruses, distinct enough to be classified as 1 or 2 and either one can be in either place.

katb

Theoretically it is possible to contract oral HSV-2. However, almost all cases of HSV-2 infection are genital. Anyway, oral HSV-2 extremely rarely produces symptoms.

Searching

Well then I must be an unlucky oddity because I have HSV2 on my face, lip, chin and nose from giving oral sex to an infected woman. Symptoms of itching and tingling are nearly a daily occurance. Outbreaks are very frequent and rarely clear up totally. It can happen and does happen that one can get HSV2 from oral sex on another person. I also have a friend (female) that tests positive for HSV2 only and has symptoms/outbreaks in her mouth and lips also. Must be a small world if only us two oddballs are the ones that have this problem. This disease is far more dangerous and stronger than you think it is.

aviatrix
Theoretically it is possible to contract oral HSV-2. However, almost all cases of HSV-2 infection are genital. Anyway, oral HSV-2 extremely rarely produces symptoms.

where did you get this info?

I am trying to figure this out w/ my boyfriend.

I want him to go down on me at some point in the future..... and me on him too. but I have herpes and we're not sure about him yet b/c.....

thanks

BoxofRain

aviatrix, did you read "searchings" post directly above yours? there is a risk and that is proof, and Ive read more stories on here with the same situation happening so it is definitely possible....its a personal decision for people to take the risk or not, especially when it comes to relationships....me and my boyfriend have it genitally and i am so paranoid about getting it orally or for him to get it orally from me so i totally understand how you feel but the bottom line is, there is a risk and no guarantees you wont contract it orally. It is true that "some" people experience it so mildy in their mouth that they are often never aware they have actually contracted it in their mouths as well, or it produces slight symptoms for some....but for other people it can produce more severe symptoms so it is good to keep in mind what you're up against. It is suggested to use barrier protection when performing oral sex on a person with a genital infection to "help eliminate" the risk, and even then there is still a risk. In my opinion i feel using dental dams and condoms any time you wanted to perform oral sex on your partner or have them perform it on you makes it cold and takes away everything intimate about those acts so for me id rather not do it. I have done it 2x to my boyfriend without protection (since our diagnosis in aug. 05) and he has done it to me a few times and he has not noticed anything YET and i have noticed a rough patch on the roof of my mouth 2 days after i did this recently and it has freaked me out so bad.. the thing that sucks is that if you do contract it in the mouth, then unless you get fluid filled sores or ulcers then there is nothing to culture, therefore having no real proof ever that you do or dont actually have it in/around your mouth....because blood tests only tell which type we have (and if you already know you have it genitally, then theres no indication if you have it orally as well from the blood test) so the thing that stinks about that, is while you may never see oral symptoms, and in fact have contracted it there as well, you can still shed the virus from the oral region infrequently and spread it to someone else through any oral contact your mouth has with someone else on any random day....so keep in mind that factor as well which complicates things a little more. I Hope you find something that you and your boyfriend are comfortable with.

solvingtheproblem

can someone quantify "very rare"?

I second the issues raised in the prior post (i.e., even if both are HSV-2 positive, the point of infection can still be spread from genital to oral).

I have read in other threads that cases of oral HSV-2 are "very rare" ...but I have the same concern mentioned in this prior post. I was recently diagnosed with GHSV-2, but am asymptomatic and so have no idea where my OB location *is*. Consequently, I feel a bit paranoid: can I kiss someone without having "the talk"? I drank from the same cup as a friend the other day without thinking...and then realized what I had done. Augh!

I don't want to get all wound up about this, but I don't want to be irresponsible either. As a scientist, I *need* to have quantitative, well-documented data on oral HSV-2. :-) "Very rare" seems a bit squishy to me...

tomato
I was recently diagnosed with GHSV-2, but am asymptomatic and so have no idea where my OB location *is*. Consequently, I feel a bit paranoid: can I kiss someone without having "the talk"?

Argh, it's the same exact thing with me! I've been worried about that.

Curious437

Oral HSV2 transmission

Although I keep reading that it is extemely rare to have HSV2 outbreaks in the oral cavity, I am a living example that that information is not reliable. I contracted HSV2 from having oral sex with my my then boyfriend in 2003 and here we are in 2009 and I have daily outbreaks, consisting of internal mouth lesions, tongue swelling, sore lymph glands, sore throat, fatigue... Sometimes a tongue lesion causes swelling which alters my speach. If I've gone 1 or 2 weeks without an oral outbreak, that would be my extreme outbreak free record. I take 500 mg of Valtrex 2 times per day and still have a chronic condition. I've read that HSV2 would become less chronic within 7 years, but yet I have still daily outbreaks at the 6 year mark. Hummmm....

Although you do get used to the outbreaks, they are very unpleasant and they do cause quite a bit of psychological distress, that if undealt with can really affect your daily life, thought pattern and self esteem.

I too read that you could not transmit it to another partner by kissing, since it was apparently such a rare occurence to have oral HSV2 symptoms in the first place. Well that is not true either !

I met and started a relationship with a person who only had genital HSV2 symptoms and had never experienced any oral symptoms in his entire life, but during our first experience with serious kissing, the poor guy started exhibiting symptoms of oral HSV2 within 1 week. He also has almost daily symptoms with the tingling, the lesions etc... inside his mouth. He is taking 500 mg of Valtrex daily and still has almost daily symptoms.

So here is my word of caution -- YOU CAN TRANSMIT HSV2 ORALLY BY KISSING OR BY ORAL SEX and my boyfriend and I are the living proof. You can transmit it to someone who already has been diagnosed with HSV2 or HSV1 genitally or orally, or anywhere else on their body. They are not immune to it just because they have it elsewhere on their body. You can also spread the virus from one part of your body to another if you are not careful with your activities, since it resides in various ganglions in your body and can take hold at any one of them if you happen to transmt it to yourself in another area, or if your infected partner does.

This illness can be spread from partner to partner and from yourself to other areas of your body, so please be aware of it. I am a responsible person and would never have wanted to transmit it to anyone else. What I had read and what my own family physician and my boyfriend's family physician told us, lead us to believe that it was virtually impossible. All that information was wrong, therefore I unfortunately infected a very nice person who now has to deal with it like I do on a daily basis. SO BE AWARE THAT WHAT YOU'VE READ TO DATE ABOUT TRANSMISSION IS NOT ACCURATE AND IS SOMEWHAT BASED ON A LEVEL OF IGNORANCE. The medical field falls short on their knowledge of the illness and the information on the Net or elsewhere was not informational enough in my opinion. Both my partner and I could not find enough information to make an educated decision on HSV2 oral transmission, and here we both are, with chronic oral HSV2.

memyselfI

I'm so sorry honey

That is awful that this happened to you and your partner! Thank you for sharing with us and God bless you!

Hugs,

meme

ntdc

Curious,

Has your boyfriend had his oral lesions swabbed by culture or PCR? If not this might be adviseable. Additionally how were you both diagnosed with HSV-2? Did you ever have a blood test, are you both absoultely sure neither had an asymptomatic HSV-1 oral infection?

Your boyfriend especially may want to have his lesions swabbed by PCR or culture to make sure he doesn't have something else going on , especially if there is no response to valtrex.

If this is causing you serious distress I would recommend you work with your doctor to adjust the dose of valtrex and see if you can get a better response from a higher dosage. There is also famciclovir (famvir) which hypothetically may have a slightly better effect in those who have HSV with reduced TK activity (resistance).

Clinicians and others get their information on outbreak and shedding rates from scientific studies which have been performed on animals as well as clinical studies which have been performed in people with OHSV-2. Obviously this cannot account for every edge-case scenario. I'll post some of these when I have time to find them again.

rightok

Oral HSV2

I think I can support the oral hsv2 phenomenon as well.

I too have been experiencing frequent, but minor ulcerations and sores inside the mouth over that 4 months since contracting in Dec. 2009.

Also have small itchy rash on face, next to nose which tingles and itches frequently and may show small bumps.

Also have ulceration in nose, towards tip, which frequently reactivates.

It's really bothersome.

These "studies" which state that all HSV2 oral reactivation is rare, have too small of a sample size.

wantingtoknow

Wow! I wonder why there is a gap between the conventional medical opinion and the experiences here. If transmission could occur by oral or facial contact, the prevelance numbers would be higher.

jericho
Wow! I wonder why there is a gap between the conventional medical opinion and the experiences here. If transmission could occur by oral or facial contact, the prevelance numbers would be higher.

I think the herpes headlines oversimplify things to make it easier for the public to understand. The reality is that HSV is not a very well understood virus.

Part of why oral HSV2 was so rare historically is that so many people had oral HSV1 by the time they reached adolescence (i.e., by the time they started having sexual activity). The decline of OHSV1 allows for the increase of GHSV1 (which is well documented) AND OHSV2. The latter is less well documented because (and some of this is my own speculation):

1. HSV-negative adults are more resistant to oral herpes (either type) than genital herpes (again, either type) (adults have thicker skin around the mouth than children). So we have relatively fewer OHSV2 cases than GHSV1 cases.

2. If someone develops cold sores, they may not bother going to the doctor. People who develop sores on their genitals are much more likely to see a doctor.

3. Even if they see a doctor, a doctor is likely to diagnose cold sores as OHSV1 (and historically, it was nearly certain that that's what it was).

I'd bet that if cold sores were routinely swabbed, we'd discover that OHSV2 is much more common than the medical community makes it out to be.

My guess is that having HSV2 genitally generally offers some resistance to oral infection because of the HSV2 antibodies. But that depends on the strength of the person's immune system at the time of exposure, the size of the inoculating dose, etc. So if someone with HSV2 genitally is feeling a bit run down due to a cold, stress, etc., and the size of the inoculating oral exposure is large, it is certainly possible for the virus to overwhelm the defenses and establish latent infection. Similar logic would apply to someone with OHSV1 as it pertains to their risk of GHSV1 infection.

death2herpes

i read there is also some indication that it is difficult to acquire HSV2 latently on top of HSV1 in the same location bc ganglia are in some poorly understood way resistant to being latently infected by 2 types. so decline of OHSV1 - which in the past was very common by the time a person became sexually active - would presumably make trigeminal ganglia a better target for HSV2. as well as the sacral ganglia a better target for HSV1 bc of lack of HSV1 antibodies - which would be consistent with the observed rise of OSHV1 that we have.

(i read that latent HSV2 infection is suspected to offer almost complete protection against HSV1 - not vice versa - regardless of site but that is not relevant to this discussion. has anyone read about or had personal experience of a case of an HSV2+ patient subsequently acquiring any HSV1 superinfection? i personally have not heard of such a thing.)

my opinion is that whatever the statistics, there are obviously cases that are not "exceptions" but simply consistent with the statistical fringe. it is rare, but there will be cases where GHSV1 or OHSV2 will cause very dramatic or frequent clinical symptoms for whatever reasons, initial viral load, particular strain, etc. rare does not mean it never happens. it is rare to transmit the virus to begin with, order of about 1/1000 per act, but obviously it happens.

i think that the actual incidence of OHSV2 and GHSV1 may be underestimated. but overall, based on observed behavior of the virus in people known to be infected with it, i still believe that HSV2 tends to be less symptomatic than HSV1 in oral infections. and HSV1 less than HSV2 in genital. but i don't think the actual numbers are very reliable, they are not even consistent between one source/study and another.

just my opinions.

nascarhottie4number8

*I have a question*

Okay say you have HSV 2 and so does your partner. If oral is performed will either both people start having outbreaks on the mouth too? I have been curious of this and havent been able to find any answers

jericho
Okay say you have HSV 2 and so does your partner. If oral is performed will either both people start having outbreaks on the mouth too? I have been curious of this and havent been able to find any answers

If you have GHSV2 and OHSV1, you should be very, very resistant to OHSV2 infection. If you have GHSV2, but not OHSV1, you should be fairly resistant to OHSV2, but any STD clinic professional is going to tell you to avoid giving oral when your GHSV2+ partner is having an OB.

starvingartist

How do you deal

I think I have somehow managed to transfer hsv2 to my mouth, throat and nose and have been sick for 2.5 weeks. I have no obvious blisters as I am taking 1Gm valtrex daily, but my mouth feels raw almost like I ate something totally acidic. My glands are swollen and I have just been completely depressed over the thought of having recurring hsv2 outbreaks that make me this sick. What keeps you going?

redheadgirl

this may sound like a dumb question but i am new to all this..ive had cold sores since i was little almost everyone in my fam does. but about a few months ago i tested positive for hsv2 so now i have both however i have never had an outbreak down there. anyway my question is if you get both hsv1 and hsv2 on your face how do u tell the difference?

wantingtoknow

Ive seenone person post a picture and HSV2 looked like a small cluster of flesh colored blisters

rightok

Mine come out as paper cuts or small cracks inside the mouth. Most are just a few millimeters long, like 1-2 mm.

They appear on the inside of the cheeks, the inner and outer part of the lips, but never above the lips. Sometimes also at the back of the mouth where one's wisdom teeth would be.

Sometimes instead of cuts, it'll just appear as random sudden little ulcers. There will be no fluid-filled blister first, just the ulceration or scrape-like thing which appears and then heals.

It makes sense because sometimes GHSV2 will manifest itself that way - as merely cuts, cracks, or scrapes.

Then there is a somewhat persistent small-ish rash on my face, which may be from stress, but probably not.

nascarhottie4number8
If you have GHSV2 and OHSV1, you should be very, very resistant to OHSV2 infection. If you have GHSV2, but not OHSV1, you should be fairly resistant to OHSV2, but any STD clinic professional is going to tell you to avoid giving oral when your GHSV2+ partner is having an OB.

Because of the chance of it being transferred to the mouth?! wow I was really worried about that. glad I asked thank you jericho

GoSurfing55

Curious437 i can say that the EXACT same thing happend to me and my girlfriend....also i take 250mg Famvir 2x daily and does not help. we both now have GHSV and oral HSV an i gotta say i hate oral HSV so farking much....my girlfriend was in pain crying one night because of it in her throat and i get it very strong in my throat also. it is NOT worth it at all!!!! (cant stress it enough...one life, living with regret every day just sucks balls)

GoSurfing55

Sorry just to clear up we both had GHSV2 and now both have oral HSV2, she got it from giving head and i got it from kissing her!