World's Largest Herpes Support Group
hop3less

Can valtrex make herpes stronger?

hop3less

I was wondering if anyone has done any research or knows anything about the possibilty of Valtrex making herpes stronger? Is it possible that by taking Valtrex the herpes is mutating and your body will not be able to defend its self against it or it will eventually become drug resistant? Can valtrex actually be making the problem worse and prevent your body from building the necessary abtibodies?? I read something about this and now I am paranoid!

alexr

Thats a really good question because if a cure or more preventative/therapeutic treatment is 10 years out, do you really want to be pumping that crap into your body for that period? It would seem to me that taking the work load off of your immune system would allow the virus to wreak havoc on you if you ever stopped taking the medication. Ask your doctor and do more research. I just got diagnosed two weeks ago, took my 10 day cycle of Valtrex and now Im off it until I think I need a 3 day cycle, and thats only if it gets bad. Your immune system is your best defense so exercise and diet are important.

rett

I did a lot of research on this the past week. Wish I had saved some of the links I looked at. But here's the skinny: Herpes Simplex can develop a tolerance to Acyclovir. Science isn't really my bag, so bear with me, but on the HSV cellular level there is something called thymidine kinase (TK). This is what acyclovir's mechanisms target after consumption, destroying the virus' ability to replicate. However, TK is not necessary for the virus to live. Thus, HSV can mutate to a version which does not require use of TK, thus rendering acyclovir treatment obsolete. So there are regular outbreaks, partially resistant outbreaks with the presence of some TK mutants, and fully resistant strains which are all TK mutations.

I remembered once watching a documentary about HIV and how it would acquire immunity to anti-viral drugs. Due to HIV's highly mutagenic nature, it turned out that ceasing anti-viral treatment would lead to mutations in the virus which would eventually lead to the dominance of "wild" type HIV, which had no immunity to the drugs. I looked to see if herpes mutations were similarly reversible.

There is not enough research on the topic, but it appears that HSV with the TK mutation are "less hardy" (to use the study's wording) than the "wild" type HSV. With cessation of acyclovir usage, the wild type may take over and be susceptible to acyclovir treatment once again. It is not clear how long this will take however, as the mutant acyclovir resistant type is able to reactivate from the nerve ganglia. There was a chart which said that reactivation falls between 50-100% of the time, so results may vary and it may take some time to re-establish "wild" HSV.

ChanceTakr2131

It is possible to develop resistance to the drugs. Right now I am taking 1000mg of Famvir a day and still having OBs ever 30-60 days. I have to alternate between Valtrex and Famvir for better results. If I don't take any suppression therapy, I have one OB after another. I think I have "Super Herpes" which is a strain that has mutated from the original. But I would rather have an OB every 60 days than every 2 weeks!! So it just depends on the severity of your OBs. :)

peterrogers8888

I don't think resistance to valtrex is the problem, rather your body getting lazy. If someone takes antibiotics all the time, there body has a gradually weaker response at fighting bacteria. I bet the same thing applies to herpes. I am really considering going off all supressants and suffering for a while and see what happens. I have not had the courage yet to do it though. Because honestly I have maybe more outbreaks on 1 gram of valtrex a day than I did on nothing a year ago. But again trying to get the courage to try it...because i know it wouuld mean constant full on outbreaks for a while.

deana12

Hello, I am fairly new to this condition. I have tried valtrax and after 2 pills broke out worse than I can discribe. I have taken a few acyclovir pills but am not impressed. My first OB has been extremely mild. I do not want to build up a resistance to any drug and am going to stop the meds and see what happens. I would like to know if you have gone off and how you are doing. Thanks.

Acesheart

Hey yall, the body does not become resistant to antivirals the way it can with antibiotics. This is what I was told by my immunologist/infectious disease doctor. I believe him as I have used them for the past 24 years almost. Daily supressive therapy. My hubby is still non h after 22 years, so I know they work. I have also only had two ob's ever. I hope this helps. Truly, Ace. :)

AychEsVee

I know I'm resurrecting a dead topic but it's an important question. From what I've read, herpes becoming resistant to Valtrex is dependent on the strain itself, not the medicine or how often/infrequently you take it. So basically, like all things herpes, it's shit luck if you're body doesn't have a positive reaction to it.

Oodles

I truly believe this is what has happened to me. I was taking it for suppression. My doctor told me I would be on it the rest of my life. I started to get outbreaks even while on the repression dose so I took more stupidly. It got to a point where taking either Famvir or Valtrex will bring on an outbreak. 

I feel like I can never have a proper healthy sexual relationship. I really never did due to i insecurities and wasting 10 years with a man who never touched me. Now I am ruined and although I look better than ever, get tonnes of great looking men- I am super lonely and sad because at 41 I will never find anyone to love me. Even if I do- non infected partners deep down are too scared to let go and always end up being repulsed. Taking pills was the only way to make them feel assured. 

Now when I have outbreaks they are really bad and almost always just simmering. I swim, do yoga and try to avoid chocolate. I take coconut oil caps and lysiene and nothing helps. I'm totally broken in the grossest way and repression therapy with valtrex is what started it.