Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Taking a bath?

4 posts in this topic

Is herpes transmittable through water? Can I take a bath with someone who does not have H, as long as there is no genital skin contact?

I was really surprised at this answer actually. It was from WebMD

Dear Anonymous Bather: You seem to have been successfully precautionary about bathing together, and marriage at large, since the virus infection has not spread to your wife of 12 years. Some items to consider which might help you are: 42?C is not an ideal temperature for the virus, so your bath water, while not a virus killer, does not promote its survival. However, that is only +5? above normal body temperature where HSV survives. The information suggests that you are not likely a shedder which makes your son?s safety more optimistic under the conditions you described. Avoidance of skin-skin contact enhances the safety factor for your son, but it does not protect him completely. Prudence might be a reason to consult your doctor about why you might be having more frequent episodes than you have experienced in the past. The fact that you have an HSV infection poses some risk to your family of cross-infection. You could alter your household bathing habits and lower the risk to your son further or you could continue what is probably an immensely familialy intimate experience with the realization that some risk of infectiousness may be there.

under another area on this site I posted something I found it is again:

"To infect people, the herpes simplex viruses (both 1 and 2) must access the body through broken skin or a mucous membrane such as inside the mouth or on the genital area. Each virus can be carried in bodily fluids (such saliva, semen, fluid in the female genital tract) or in fluid from herpes sores. The risk for infection is highest with direct contact of blisters or sores during an outbreak."

Also, on another website (

it says "Herpes simplex virus type 2 can be passed in the urine or genital discharge of an infected person."

In both cases, people who are infected can have no symptoms of an active infection, and can unknowingly spread the infection to another person.

so, theres a lot to it highly likely...maybe not but still possible i think. If the other person has cuts, or anything they may be able to get it that way, but some people will argue its impossible but it makes you wonder...follow your gut instincts and decided with the other person if they feel ok with it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Latest Buzz

• StayingUpbeat
      Admedus is also a gD2 subunit vaccine not a live attenuated.  There are only 3 live attenuated HSV vaccines in the pipeline that I know of (2 of which are in human clinical trials) Rational Vaccines Prophavax HSV2 ICP0 Deletion mutant Sanofi Pasteur HSV-529 UL5 and 29 deletion mutant Albert Einstein Medical Center (unnamed) I can't recall the gene they deleted but it the virus doesn't produce surface protein gD2 All of the others I know of, including and especially the Admedus vaccine, are either DNA subunit (Admedus, Vical) or Protein subunit (Genocea, Agenus, most others).  All of the vaccines mentioned include the gD2 protein (or the DNA to encode it) though some also include a few other genes/proteins (Vical and Genocea specifically).
    • WilsoInAus
      Well the average number of days is actually 4, with well over 90% of infections resulting in symptoms by day 10 if they're coming. Hence yes in the clear so to speak. Are you male? The transmission rate from a female to a male where condoms and antivirals are used is extremely low. Maybe of the order of 1% per year. Given the length of infection there is good reason to believe the risk is indeed very low.
    • LilyMae
      Hi. I have had hsv2 for 21 years and have been lurking on this site off and on for about a year. What a marvelous community. When I was diagnosed there was nothing like this. Resourses to educate yourself about hsv were so hard to come by and forget about any community support or forum for sharing experiences. You were like a message in a bottle floating in an endless sea of stigma and ignorance. I would like to be a part of your community.  If you have been recently diagnosed, I feel your alarm and fear and concern for how your life will be impacted by hsv. But I will tell you that my experience with this virus has actually been fairly positive. No pun intended. People are much kinder and much less judgemental and much braver than I would have ever thought. The stigma is always hard to deal with. But it gets easier as you are more sure of yourself and what the virus really is. And for the VAST majority of us the physical symptoms are about the least serious thing that could ever happen to you. I have literally had spider bites that caused me more problems. I am interested in joining the secret Facebook groups that exist. I was wondering if anyone had any feedback on those groups they'd be willing to share with me. Xox    
    • Seeker1960
      I guess you wont be signing up for Halford's trials. If Theravax becomes availble next year are you going to wait for 2020?
    • Cantbetrue here and I'm sure this topic has been covered somewhere on here....just didn't see it. I'm 10 days out from having sex with a good friend ( female) who has had herpes 2 for 30 plus years. We used a condom and she is on anti viral. I'm symptom free at the moment. She had no ob at the time, but said she had had tingling all over the place ( glutes, back of thighs with back pain due to heavy squatting two weeks prior to out having sex). To date she has not had an ob this year.  Does it sound like I'm in the clear? I really like her and hope to continue to see her. I don't want to panic each time we have sex though. Any words of wisdom greatly appreciated. The incubation period seems to be all over the place when I Google it. Hat is actual incubation period?  I know some never have symptoms, but is there sn average incubation period??
    • K_Sock
      Last piece, EBV/mono (another virus in the herpes family) is said to have prevalence in up to 90% of the population.. Have you had mono? Mono is fairly prevalent, but out of people I have asked in my world, about 1 in 7 have had it.
    • K_Sock
      Also, not every lip sore is a cold sore. Trust me on that as I've had lip sores before hsv. I know some people who think they get cold sores but they're just lip sores as they test negative for hsv...and have never experienced any symptoms.
    • K_Sock
      Yep, so they say... At the same time, it's very hard to find someone with it in the real world.. For instance, I had kissed over 20 girls before getting this and none ever said they had gotten a cold sore. I also have good friends who are quite the 'make-out' bandits having kissed well over 100 girls each, and they continue to test negative for everything including HSV.  The high HSV infection rate seems to hinge on parents + aunts kissing babies... Just seems quite ludicrous that anyone would kiss a child with a raging cold sore... (Of course, it does happen! ..and I've seen a few news stories lately of cold sores almost killing babies). Maybe you're all smarter than I, but the IGG anecdotally proves quite unreliable AND it just doesn't make any sense how we believe such high infection data in conjunction with such low transmission rates..  Compound that with the fact that almost everyone expresses a primary outbreak (80% just don't correspond it to hsv/herpes) and the WHO estimates just don't really ladder up to the world that I see everyday (doesn't mean the stats are wrong..)
    • agamemnus
      @TCBH Admedus is developing a vaccine based on a live attenuated virus. Genocea is much closer to a product than anyone else, with its sub-unit vaccine currently in P2B trials. As far as I have read, sub-unit vaccines have two advantages over live attenuated viruses: 1) The advantage of safety -- there is no chance that sub-unit vaccines can somehow mutate. 2) The advantage of cost of production. Theoretically, they are much, much, much cheaper to mass-produce. Genocea has a product launch slated for 2020. That is far away. However, Genocea has stated that they will enroll a very large number of people for its Phase 3 trial. It is set to begin enrolling in mid-2017.
    • @lw@ys
      When you are new to the infection there is hope in every nook and cranny that you may be the lucky one to overcome this with one of these so called cures. If you/her are lucky you may be able to manage the virus through good living but nothing short of an actual working vaccine will stop this virus.
  • Featured