Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ICherri

Herpes and Alzheimer's

11 posts in this topic

:(

Today I discussed an article about the connectin between HSV-1 (cold sores only) and Alzheimer's. Some of the articles were confusing and but they seem to state that HSV-1 particles are found in Alzheimer patients and are a big link to the plaques that develop in the mind. I added a link:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-david-perlmutter-md/alzheimers-herpes-could-be-a-cause_b_814047.html

This is scary but I still know I am confused about alot of the facts and hoping someone can shed light on the issue.

I know HSV-1 is not the main cause but I think they are saying it can heighten the chances of someone already predisposed to Alzheimer and people with recurrent outbreaks are at higher risk than those who just have the virus without OB's. Or is this all just a theory?

What I have read is this, although it might not be totally accurate. In autopsies performed on Alzheimer's patients, something like 90% had HSV present in their brain tissues as well. Which came first and triggered the other, I don't know.

hi hows it going,they still don't know the affect that the herpes has on the brain and the alzheimers brains all had a certain gene that has been known about for years.So if you dont have the gene -no alzheimers in family history your maybe safe.The fact that 90% of the brains had herpes could simply mean that 90% of people have herpes damage to their brains in some form or another.

Here is a link to a 60 minite program,A television documentry that shows people who had their memory wiped by herpes.

http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8222628

I know this doesnt really help and is a little freaky but some reasurance is that enceph is extremly rare and the flue kills more than herpes.

Heres another two links about the latest research on the alzeimers and herpes

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/12/081207134109.htm

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/10/111017102557.htm

I wouldn't wish that on anyone, but if those memory wipes start happening more often, I bet they would do more research in HSV.

:(

Today I discussed an article about the connectin between HSV-1 (cold sores only) and Alzheimer's. Some of the articles were confusing and but they seem to state that HSV-1 particles are found in Alzheimer patients and are a big link to the plaques that develop in the mind. I added a link:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-david-perlmutter-md/alzheimers-herpes-could-be-a-cause_b_814047.html

This is scary but I still know I am confused about alot of the facts and hoping someone can shed light on the issue.

I know HSV-1 is not the main cause but I think they are saying it can heighten the chances of someone already predisposed to Alzheimer and people with recurrent outbreaks are at higher risk than those who just have the virus without OB's. Or is this all just a theory?

Interesting study,

This study suggests, that using anti-viral medication and/or *hsv vaccines(which are only in the test phase) as a possible prevention of Alzheimer's, am i reading this correctly?

Yes and the more people that know that herpes affects the brain whether or not the true cause of alzheimers the better as the fact that 90% of peoples brains are affected at some point in time means the implications are huge.However this has its down side as meds like draco which cause cell death may kill neurons in the brain???

This research has been going since at least 2008 so you would think someone would have tried valtrex by now even if self medication.

Also how many peoples brains are autopsied anyway to say whether its in 90% of adult brains as Dr Itzhaki implies.To say adult brains is a bit mysteriouse to me as hsv 1 isnt that wide spread untill at least 60 years old unless its caused by chicken pox??

Does the fact that alzheimers has a special gene mean only they have brain outbreaks and does this account for the fact that some people are aysmtomatic??

I was chatting to someone latley who was diagnosed with hvs 2 hvs1 and his mother informed him that he had cold sores as a child which he didnt recall.Lots of people have bad recollection of their childhood you might say but also lots of people were infected at a young age as well and did it affect their recollection??These are questions that i come up with all the the time as i have a seriouse memory disfunction that ive had all my life and probably will never get an answer.So maybe I was just old before my time.lol

Hey,

Thanks for adding to my post. I do get ur anger at the down play of HSV-1..trust me!!!

But there is advances being made..here a link:

http://www.slu.edu/rel-news-herpes-vaccine-14

I also wonder about chicken pox and cold sores lol.

The thing is I can't make myself go insane wit worry or anger.

This is my only life and it is what it is..I try to not spread it by dating only positive people and not sharing glasses or even kissing my nephews and nieces but what else can I do..I deserve to be happy too and so do u.

From what I have read it's a case of chicken and egg.

Some figures suggest that 90% of people carry the HSV virus so the chances of it being discovered in alzheimers patients will be high, it makes logical sense.

Whether it is a factor in alzheimers developing needs more research.

Yes the fact that its in 90% of people and is discoverd in a select group of people does make sense,I think that the fact that it was discoverd in their brains is isnt that logical and acceptable.

I presume that a dinasour laid an egg and out came a chicken so theres that question answerd.LOL

Yes the fact that its in 90% of people and is discoverd in a select group of people does make sense,I think that the fact that it was discoverd in their brains is isnt that logical and acceptable.

I presume that a dinasour laid an egg and out came a chicken so theres that question answerd.LOL

Thank you always wanted to know the answer lol.

HSV lives in the nerves so it makes sense to me that it would be found in the brain. The important question is that we need more research - having worked with people with alzheimers it is a horrible and I hope that I never suffer from it.

Hey,

Thanks for adding to my post. I do get ur anger at the down play of HSV-1..trust me!!!

But there is advances being made..here a link:

http://www.slu.edu/rel-news-herpes-vaccine-14

Oh my gosh, they need to continue that study right now! What the heck are they waiting for???????