Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

how long does healing take?

2 posts in this topic

hey guys, thanks for the replies from the last thread. I have been do the doctor and am awaiting test results right now, they should be in any day.

I just have one more question to ask:

how long does a first outbreak typically take to heal? I started getting sores on sunday, and they started to heal on wednesday, and by today (sunday) 7 days later, the sores are all gone. I'm wondering if the antibiotics they gave me at the hospital would speed up the process of healing that much. I haven't started the treatment of valtrex yet, so I put some coldsore ointment on the genital area (kind of a stretch, I know but I thought I'd give it a try) and it has helped tremendously with the pain as well with the healing. Although I read somewhere online that putting ointment or creams will only worsen the condition.

what do you guys think? how long is it supposed to take to heal?

thanks sooo much for your help guys.

The 1st episode can last 10-21 days..

The oldest antiviral medication for herpes is acyclovir. Acyclovir is available as a generic drug and is also sold under the brand name Zovirax®. It has been available since 1982 in a topical form (as an ointment) and sold since 1985 in pill form. Acyclovir has been shown to be safe in persons who have used it continuously (every day) for as long as 10 years.

A newer drug, valacyclovir (brand name Valtrex®), actually uses acyclovir as its active ingredient. This medication delivers acyclovir more efficiently so that the body absorbs much of the drug, which has the advantage of taking the medication fewer times during the day.

Famciclovir (brand name Famvir®) utilizes penciclovir as its active ingredient to stop HSV from replicating. Like valacyclovir, it is well absorbed, persists for a longer time in the body, and can be taken less frequently than acyclovir.

Antiviral medication is commonly prescribed for patients having a first episode of genital herpes, but they can be used for recurrent episodes as well. There are two kinds of treatment regimens: (1) episodic therapy and (2) suppressive therapy.

Episodic Therapy

In this approach, a person begins taking medication at the first sign of recurrence (or ideally at first signs of prodrome) and would continue for several days, in order to hasten the healing, or even prevent an outbreak from fully occurring. All three of the antiviral treatments mentioned above have been proven to help shorten the amount of time that a person may experience symptoms of herpes. However, keep in mind that results may vary from person to person.

Many people feel the advantages of using medication for recurrent episodes are marginal compared with use in a primary episode. But for others, episodic therapy offers a useful way to manage outbreaks by cutting the length of an outbreak by a day or two, on average. The benefits may be greater for those whose outbreaks tend to last longer.

Also, episodic therapy has its best results when treatment begins at the very first sign of prodrome. If lesions are already present, therapy may offer little benefit. Because the medications differ in their absorption rate and duration of effectiveness, dosages vary with episodic therapy treatment ranging from one to five pills every day for three to five days during an outbreak.

Suppressive Therapy

People with genital herpes who want to eliminate (suppress) outbreaks altogether can take antiviral medication daily to hold HSV in check so that it's less likely to flare up and cause symptoms. For individuals who have frequent recurrences (six or more per year), studies have shown that suppressive therapy can reduce the number of outbreaks by at least 75% while the medication is being taken. Also, for some, taking an antiviral on a daily basis can prevent outbreaks altogether.

While antivirals can be successful in controlling herpes symptoms, researchers also have turned their attention to the important issue of antiviral therapy and asymptomatic shedding. Does suppressive therapy lower the risk of unrecognized herpes reactivation as well as curb recognized outbreaks? One study addressing this question found that women on suppressive acyclovir (400 mg, twice daily) had a 94% reduction in subclinical shedding while taking daily therapy. This type of study has also been done with famciclovir and valacyclovir, yielding similar reductions in both men and women.

Suppressive therapy has been studied in thousands of patients and it appears to be both safe and effective. Because the medications differ in their absorption rate and duration of effectiveness, dosages vary with suppressive therapy treatment ranging from one to two pills every day.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Latest Buzz

• Srsly.Ovr.It
      I feel like I'm going a little crazy and I have no one to talk to so this might be a little long. My apologies in advance... So, I went to the urgent care on Oct 4th because I had a deep vaginal tear and two tiny blisters, one on each side. The Doc swabbed them and sent me for blood and urine tests. About 4 hours later the blister the Dr had popped erupted into an agonizingly painful colony of blisters. For the record, I have an incredibly high pain tolerance. Seriously, for me, even labor and child birth without meds was no big thing. Anyway, over the next two days I became feverish with a sore throat, my asthma started acting up, and more places began to hurt with searing hot pain: my entire left leg, my lower back, my arms, my neck, even my heart rate spiked as if I'd been out for a run. Fitbit was logging my HR in the high 90's instead of my usual low 70's. The worst by far though, my entire vulva felt like it'd been hit with a sledge hammer. I was miserable. On Oct 6th the blood and urine tests came back negative for STI's but I begged the urgent care for an antiviral anyway because I was pretty sure (after countless hours of Googling and crying) that this was HSV. I had hoped that clearing up the blisters would stop the pain. Started a 7day course of Acyclovir that night. The next day, the swab test came back negative for HSV so they had me return to the urgent care. The RN who saw me that night had the worst bedside manner EVER. She looked at my little oozing blister farm of fun (while quickly backing away from me) and told me that it was probably "just shingles" because HSV "doesn't clump like that." I argued because I've had shingles and this was definitely different. The woman then said that "it really didn't matter anyway" because I was on Acyclovir so it'd clear up either way. I was dumbstruck. I'd been crying and in utter despair for days thinking my life may as well be over because no one will ever love me again. But, it didn't matter?! Reluctantly, after much debate, the RN agreed to do a new swab test. Unfortunately, she wielded said swab like a scalpel; literally digging it in till I screamed and nearly passed out. Then she left without a word. How's that for making me feel like even more of a leprous monster? Ugh. Over the next few days the blisters slowly dried and started to shrink, revealing deep-seated purpleish blue bruises. The pain also lessened ... until the Acyclovir ran out that is. I took the last dose on Oct 13th, the same day the new swab test came back positive for HSV2. I was unsurprised when the urgent care Dr called, and perhaps a little emotionally numbed by that point. On the evening of Oct 15th, the pain began to return and the healing progress of the blister farm seemed to have halted. The pain and general malaise continued to build by the day. Fast forward to last night, Oct 18th: I started having random bursts of sharp needle stabby sensations ALL OVER my body - hand, head, foot, knee, buttock, finger, earlobe, etc. This went on for about 2 hours. Then, the sledge-hammer-to-the-vagina feeling returned with full force accompanied by a fancy new sensation - hot lava pooling in my left hip and piriformis muscle! I lay awake all night certain that I'd have a brand new shiny colony of blisters come morning. I didn't. There hasn't been much change to the blister zone since Oct 15. And as I sit here now, typing this dramatic and overly long post, my entire body feels like it is literally vibrating with alternating needley stabs and claw-my-skin-off bursts of itchiness. I'm left wondering: When will the pain stop?  Is it this painful for anyone else? Will I ever be able to masturbate again? How much hand washing is enough? Is it safe to touch my face? Will I ever feel comfortable taking a bath again? Will shaving or waxing cause an outbreak? Will I ever be able to go to the Korean Day Spa again?! My inquires to the Great Gods of Google have been many, though, not always fruitful. And so it goes.  
    • WilsoInAus
      I do endorse @free73 and his comments. I will add that the chances of this being herpes are incredibly small. So much so that I do not see that you need to pursue testing which will be costly as you say. There is also little issue with dating. Remember that a girl you meet is more likely to have genital herpes than you, so unless you are going to do mutual testing before starting a sexual relationship there isn't much point in disclosing or discussing STDs any further. Use of condoms is appropriate as it always is.  
    • Free73
      I'm not sure what advice you are looking for? So far you have a bunch of symptoms and no diagnosis. Do you want to assume you have herpes or do you want to actually go and get tested to confirm what you do or don't have? It could be a whole bunch of things, but until you get yourself tested, it's impossible to nail down what it is. I understand it's expensive, but maybe you can cut back on the weed and save for some tests? Not trying to be a dick, but at some point, people need to start taking responsibility for their lives. There is nothing anyone on here can give you advice on until you get yourself diagnosed. Those pimples/rash on your butt are perfect for taking a swab and that will confirm very quickly whether you have herpes. Same with the one on your lip that you burst. It's unusual to get herpes whitlow (herpes on your finger) but it is out there. 
    • ricksickler
      Hello. first off its taken me a long time to get to this point, to be able to even accept that I more than likely have HSV. I am in a huge rut as occasionally I let it take over and literally drive my mind crazy thinking about it. But anywho.. My real issue is lack of insurance, I went to my local PPH and saw the Dr. She had seen the (What I think are HSV symptoms) on my buttocks and finger(s)(upper thigh) and she dismissed it as not being herpes, and that I needed better sleep, more water intake and less stress. She had told me it would be incredibly expensive to do further testing other than just physical examination as I did not have insurance. I had to pay 130$ just to see her, although upon leaving I was satisfied that I just needed to take better care of myself. The next day however, I got a cold sore on my lip, I actually had to pop a little zit like thing that was pussy or white. it was enflamed for a day or two. That went away with blistex angelsic after killing it with hydrogen peroxide pretty well. My zit like rash on my buttocks did start to disappear, only to come back ( seems less intense )it almost seems like after I sleep its really clear or just one or two zits then sometimes when I go pee during the day there could be like 6 or 7. This concerns me, that means it hasn't gone away. The spots on my finger(s) are like really dry patchy peeling skin almost. hydrocortisone seems to help a little. Just to put this out there - I smoke weed regularly, - I have an oil rig ( You essentially smoke the weed oil (Dabs) ) so I cut that out taking into consideration that might be the problem. well it didn't stop. I do drink occasionally. I just don't know what to do. Like I said im almost okay with it at this point.... I have never had any genital sores at all. I thought about taking a Lysine supplement but did not know if I should just start that all willy nilly, considering I have not been actually diagnosed, thoughts? I also am concerned that I am ignoring a larger issue and if its not herpes and I should get it checked out? or if it is herpes and I don't know it... is there some serious repercussion if left untreated? Is there a Dr. that will see me for cheap? Can I even afford the meds after they break my bank just testing me? I am so lost... so hurt and embarrassed. But as an adult all I can do is keep on keeping on... its rough thinking that I cant even take a girl I like out on a date because at some point that's gonna come up. HELP ANY ADVICE PLEASE - oh I am 23 and male
    • Ollie2016
      I told him today, I couldn't even get the phrase I have herpes out.  He said he's ok with it, said he's not going anywhere.  
    • Gee170
    • fixme1
    • Stronginsepa
      If inefficient valteex can reduce shedding by 30-40 percent well 10x that...trying to wrap my mind around it
    • Renegadow
      yeah well dont hold your breathe in the mean time, that cure has been in preclinical for about 2000+ years, and the internet just made  it  a pandemic disease.
    • Renegadow
      Crispr can be a Panacea or a Pandora box. So it could be 5 or 50,and without a human trial of the crispr hsv approach its really hard to say or predict.  
  • Featured