Spiritual Experiences

I had the opportunity to be stuck on an airplane waiting to be de-iced for hours recently before traveling across the country. In that time, as you might well imagine, I got to know some of the people who sat in my general area. The gent next to me was not a church goer but very spiritual and interesting. He talked about angels being all around us in kindness of people or too many coincidences and blessings that we don't even count because we don't know that we've avoided some misfortune. I missed my connecting flight due to the delay but was put on another flight rather quickly. Again, I sat next to a different gent who ironically said some of the same things the gent on my original flight had said. They both had lovely stories to tell about divine intervention. I enjoyed their stories and it made me start thinking of times in my life when peculiar things happened that made me realize how God works in my life.

When I was pregnant with my daughter, long before my H diagnosis, I learned that there were compliations with the pregnancy. I went for some tests at a hospital in the city where the equipment was better than the smaller hospital where my doctor was affiliated. At first they told me that they thought that my child had this disabilty and then that disabiltiy and it seemed like every time that one concern was eliminated then another was a possibility. The testing went on and on and one test that needed to be performed couldn't be done right away so I went outside for some fresh air. While outside I was sitting on a bench watching the rush of city people walking and driving by not even knowing the traumatic experience that I was having. I remember feeling as if I had been knocked off my feet with the day's events. I had grabbed a bite to eat and my napkin blew away in the wind and landed on a man who was sitting in the same general area. As he got up to return my napkin he aslo brought me a pin of an angel and went to pin it on my shirt. It was uncomfortable at first as he approached me since he was a stranger. He watched my hesitation as he slowly approached and pinned the angel on my shoulder. He said, "It will be okay." I sat there looking at the angel for a few seconds and noticed that the gold polish on the knees was removed as if it had been knocked off it's feet. I looked up to say thanks to the man who gave it to me and he was no where to be seen.

It was a very cool experience. Everything was okay. The tests were all negative and she is, thank God, healthy. I've had many experiences like this and it warms my heart to think about them and hear other stories like them. I am thankful that my planes were delayed and I got to hear the unsolicited stories of those who sat next to me.

I've heard a few of these types of stories in my day but they never get old to me. I felt the Spirit so strong at the time. I feel it strong as I recall my own story and I feel it strong as others have shared their with me from time to time. God does work in mysterious ways. Anyone here have one that they want to share?

i gave the guys at the car wash a tip one day, so i was driving along.... stoped at a light, but had 1 car in front of me - light turned green the car got hit by a cab that ran the light- i watched this 1 girl die.

if i didnt waste the 1 min of my life helping someone else, that would have been my car

Haven't had any spiritual experiences I'm afraid. But I am a BIG believer in GUT FEELING. I think most women are finely tuned in this area - certainly more than men (sorry boys!). I think it keeps us safe in all kinds of situations. Sometimes it might be subtle cues we've picked up on. But sometimes I think it's impossible to say - other than it's a 'gut feeling'.

I met my boyfriend several years ago. Within an hour of meeting him, my gut feeling was to have nothing to do with him. I NEVER ignore my gut feeling. Except on this occasion (he was good-looking what can I say). Couple of years down the line, I never was swept off my feet, he never was my soul-mate (bummer), and, icing on the cake, I have genital herpes.

Moral of the stroy...ALWAYS listen to your gut feeling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my spirituality...

I don't adhere to any one doctrine...for me personally, that is chaotic. I don't abide dogmatic beliefs. MAN created religion. However, I am a spiritual person, I do believe in something that is a force greater than us all. I have taken all my own personal beliefs over the years and mish mashed it into my own thing. combine buddhism, paganism and judaism teachings and you get a vague idea of where I am coming from.

I have always been in tune with my body and the world/nature at large. I have always had tremendous respect for both as well as people around me. But I think the defining moment for my own personal spiritual growth was in the birth of my oldest child. The pregnancy, the trials and tribulation during that pregnancy, the fact that we both almost died in labor (but didn't) were all a spiritual re-awakening for me. I look at my children today , and I want so much for this world to be a better place for them. But I believe THAT is up to us as human beings to give that to our children. I firmly believe in karma..you get back exactly what you put out into the world. I want to "put out" good, positive things and try to help and bolster mankind. I don't rely on any god or fate per se, only myself and those around me to make these changes. But definitly having children softened my heart, and opened my eyes to the mysteries of life the unexplainable.

I don't like to give labels to my beliefs/ideas, as I feel labels ARE dangerous. It is what it is, and I don't care or expect for any one else to understand or agree. It is what I feel and what I think in the most logical sense that one can "think" such things. I don't foist my ideas or opinions on others and I HATE when people foist their own on myself or the world at large. I think it is great when people can get together though and share there thoughts in a non-confrontational manner, if nothing else, to learn about one another.

But yeah, getting off track here....my kids are my passion, my great love...I see them, and I truly can think there has to be something more floating in this universe, this plain of existence, than just us. I try to be a good person to ensure their karmic debt isn't bankrupt and that THEY learn to be good little people and put out that positive energy into the world. My main focus in life is to see that they grow into strong, healthy, intelligent, caring, compassionate people who want not only to help themselves but others as well. Hopefully I will give them the backbone, the knowledge and the open heart to empower them to BE this sort of person. If I achieve this, then I will know my own nirvana.

and to the future...I agree...listen to your intuition, your "gut" feeling. There have only been a couple of instances where I DID NOT "listen to my gut instinct" and well....both times ended horribly. SO......I trust my intuition, it is a finely tuned machine!

ooohhhh and one last thing; contracting genital herpes has/had NOTHING to do with my own spiritual path/growth. I am not any more or less a "spiritutal person" because of it.

It is a huge inconvienence in my life, and one I have for NOT listening to my "gut instinct". But it is no more than that. God, Allah, Buddha, Mother Nature ....all of that has nothing to do with the fact that I contracted herpes. Herpes was given to me based on lies and deceit, and my trust in an individual who was unworthy of my love and trust. That is all.

• 2 weeks later...
Haven't had any spiritual experiences I'm afraid. But I am a BIG believer in GUT FEELING. I think most women are finely tuned in this area - certainly more than men (sorry boys!). I think it keeps us safe in all kinds of situations. Sometimes it might be subtle cues we've picked up on. But sometimes I think it's impossible to say - other than it's a 'gut feeling'.

I met my boyfriend several years ago. Within an hour of meeting him, my gut feeling was to have nothing to do with him. I NEVER ignore my gut feeling. Except on this occasion (he was good-looking what can I say). Couple of years down the line, I never was swept off my feet, he never was my soul-mate (bummer), and, icing on the cake, I have genital herpes.

Moral of the stroy...ALWAYS listen to your gut feeling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really agree with the gut thing--I think it's a kind of high intelligence. (and I also distinguish b/t that and religious faith/conviction or belief.)

• 3 months later...

Is it a spiritual experience to suddenly and dramatically have your whole perspective on your life, how you want to live it and who you "really are" clarified in a matter of 24 hours?

Over the last 3 months, I feel like my gut, intuition or whatever you want to call it were being pulled toward something but I didn't know what.

The day I got the diagnosis, everything instantly clarified itself for me. Ego issues, "what's really important" issues, mental indecision and "blocks" seemed to all just melt in perspective to knowing I have something incurable but not life threatning. The shock to my system shook loose the cobwebs and other mental mush as I call it.

After several days and as the intial shock wore off while I was educating myself (and receiving support through here), I started feeling blessed about my life as a whole and find my worries about having herpes to be minor in comparison.

I've written about feeling blessed in another thread and hesitated as posting it. I know some people feel absolutely terrible about what's happened so who and I to go around feeling blessed right?

Was this a spiritual experience? I don't know, but it was something unique in my life.

lilome - thank you for sharing such a special experience.

I hear that many of us have a strong spiritual connection within our universe even without embracing a religion.

I was raised in a home with religion and it never made sense to me. I was dragged to church at least 3 times a week and my maternal grandfather was a minister for a time. When I was about 12 I had what I describe as a divine visitor. For a time afterwards I'd have dreams that predicted events in my world. It frightened me and I turned it off and put up a wall against these invasions.

Through the years I was always aware of a presence nearby and when I would get myself into trouble it would guide me to safety. Yes I made some mistakes because I didn't listen to that intuition and I am well aware that I made those choices and I've paid for them but I don't blame them on others.

I also experienced de'ja'vu. It left me questioning it's purpose.

Several years ago I hit a low point in my life and decided I'd follow a set plan or ritual that would lead to my own demise. Crazy? maybe but maybe it was my turning point. In the next few months as I set my plan into action I'd find that each time I'd step forward something would intervene. What I'd do would be countered with clear evidence that I was fighting something that I could not conquer. It made me confused and depressed and lost but this time I could sense there was a rope in front of me to pull myself out. I decided to turn myself around and I've been blessed beyond words. I have hope. I have new dreams and I have a happiness inside that was missing through all of those years.

I still have bad days and lately bad weeks but that sorrow and despair that once crushed my heart is gone. Is it God? I don't know. I do know that I have evidence that I'm doing what I should be doing and when I do I find rewards along the way.

I don't know that everyone can experience this. I don't know that everyone is inherently good or evil. I don't even know if everyone has a choice. I do know that I get messages or intuition and to disregard it is always hurtful in my life. I also know when I am on the right track because of the way things work. Additionally I don't believe that life is all sunshine and roses. It is a compilation of human experience that helps us to identify when we should act.

I firmly believe this life is to be enjoyed and our task is to find joy in whatever life brings to us. If we do not have joy we owe it to ourselves to identify this and create a detour in our journey to find what is missing.

I am very much into spirituality,i am not religious but not everyone believes what i believe, that is their choice, i would never press my views on anyone that wasn't interested.

Caliope we all have guides that are with us 24/7, not everyone feels this, they will guide you, they can't stop the bad things that happen but will provide you with the strength to see it through, i know it sounds crazy to some, but send your thoughts to them, you dont have to do this out loud, ask for help, guidance, strentgth, they love to hear from you, they love you unconditionally.

I have been told that here on earth is the school ,where we come to learn life lessons, our destiny is mapped out for us, but how we get there is down to us, our soul/spirit becomes stronger every time adversity is thrown our way.

We are all here for a reason, nothing happens by coincidence, if we keep making the same mistakes time and time again, it will continue to be served up to us, until we get it right, not always in this life time but the next.

Your gut feeling is your soul guiding you what to do,your soul has been here many times before, de'ja'vu , is your soul remembering a time before, a person before.

If you have a decision to make and can not decide, go to bed and the first thought the next morning is your soul answering.

Have you ever met someone you really took an instant dislike to?

Your soul has remembered, this person before, stay away.

If you feel you are on the wrong path in life, but dont know , maybe inside you just dont feel right/happy,obstacles are constantly in your way,

spirit loved ones will keep edging you on the right path,maybe you will meet someone who will offer you help, a turn of events will put you in a place you never expected to be, it is all meant to be.

I hope i haven't gone on too much, it's a subject that is very close to me, just remember we are never ever on our own, and we only learn through adversity,we will be better and stronger for it.

I too, have always been a very spiritual person, however, I abhor organized religion. To each their own, but it is certainly not for me.

I have take the teachings and knowledge of paganism, judaism and buddaism and rolled it all up into Ouchism. It definitely works for me.

When I pray, I do pray to a "god/goddess" simply because I think this is a term we have all grown up with. It is immersed in our very lexicon this word GOD (especially in most Western Civilizations.) But I do believe that there is more "out there" then just what we see here on planet Earth. I don't think that when we die, we are dead and that is it (a la a Sopranos finale, ahem!) I think all that wonderful energy leaves the confines of the body it is in, and moves out into the Universe. Maybe we are reincarnated, continuing our path onto ultimate enlightenment/nirvana....maybe we go to the next plain of existence (heaven?) Who knows?!?! But I can't help but feel that there IS something more out there.

My ideas/thoughts/spirituality have helped me in staying strong whenever I come across any adversity, be it my stupid herpes, or really important issues, like helping my children when they are hurt or ill or in trouble; or helping my family. Dealing with bozos at work...whatever.

I try to take time out each day and meditate for a few moments, clear all my thoughts and put strong positive thoughts in place of any negative ones. I find when I DON'T do this is when I start having issues with work, my body, my family whatever. Cause and effect baby, cause and effect. We all get what we put out there.

So there is a wee bit of my ouchism. hahaha.

• 1 month later...

Ouch you share some of the eastern ideals that I share. I also have studyed alot about buddhism and the eastern belief systems over the western. Metaphysics are starting to surface in our society people start to learn that your mind has alot to do with your immune system and body's states.

People that have no will to live and seem to be depressed and down seem to get sicker then people that have a stronger will and mind.

Guardian Angels

I do believe in Angels.

After I got H, I went through my depression years. I became an alcoholic and was a hermit for two years. I thought I would never amount to anything and no-one wanted to be my lover and I was no good, etc. Everyday I would put in the earphones and found my salvation in music and alcohol.

One day my Mom said that I have a Guardian Angel.

I was amazed.

She said, "Everyone has a Guardian Angel."

I know she wasn't lying, because I know my Mom better than that. So I went home in awe that my Guardian Angel was watching me and HAS been watching me all along.

I felt better that I wasn't alone, although the apt was quiet. I even recall telling my Guardian Angel things and asking questions. I just felt that I wasn't alone and it was ok.

Funny thing is, my Mom doesn't recall telling me anything!

Instead of just music I found three other interests. Herbal remedies and philosophy was the first two. I used to watch a cartoon called "Mighty Max." Anyone ever saw it? Every episode has an ancient philosophy in it. And I really wanted to learn about natural remedies.

I grew positive about myself and started running again, the third interest. I used to run laps at my HS track.

Eventually, I stopped drinking and decided to make a move out of where I was and start anew.

I do believe in my Guardian Angel. I believe that my Guardian has been guiding me and healing me throughout tough times and even now.

I even seen my nephew, as an infant, look up at the ceiling and laugh and laugh. I know he was laughing with the Angels.

I thank God for His Angels who help us.

• 5 months later...
I hear that many of us have a strong spiritual connection within our universe even without embracing a religion.

I firmly believe you DO NOT have to be part of any religion in order to be a spiritiual person. I know a few people who aren't religious in any sense of the word but are way more spiritual than some people I know that go to church every Sunday.

My sister's ex just recently "found God" and goes to church about 3 times a week. He's all decked out in "God gear" all the time now and has numerous stickers on his car. He still treats her like crap and calls her names and once even took the car right out from under her leaving her stranded at work. But he tells her she needs to find God and HE prays for HER. The saddest thing, I think, is when he makes my lil neice, who's two years old, kiss the Jesus sticker on his car every time he drops her off. Like that gets her a reservation in Heaven.

Anyhoo, I don't know if my strange experience is as good as some people's in this thread but I was once in downtown Portland. I had to pick up my now ex-boyfriend from the airport. Mind you, at this time I actually lived in Eugene, OR, which is 3 hours from Portland and I have NEVER driven in such a big city. I got lost pretty quickly and started freakin out a bit, okay, a lot. I didn't know what to do. After about half an hour of driving in circles trying to find the airport I eventually started to ask for some help from a "higher power". I was saying "Please, please, please, just point me in the right direction." I said it a couple times while I'm ballin like a baby and freakin out. I come to a stop light and there's one guy I make eye contatct with and I ask him, "How do I get to the airport". He pointed down the street I was ready to cross at the intersection, I needed to go right but I was in the right lane. It wasn't till I was about a mile down the correct road that I got the chills when I had realized what just happened. I asked to be pointed in the right direction and someone did. He didn't say a word (you know, like most people do when they are giving you directions) he just pointed me in the right direction. I was pretty creeped out all day.

And, of course, I've had those eerie coincidences, that are never lost on me, and those close calls where you say, "Man, if I was just one minute earlier/later that would have been me!"

amo013 - I've often found that the people who need the structure of organized religion do so because it gives them accountability. They can have a routine with other like minded individuals to provide a sort of check system to keep them on track or to otherwise encourage them to keep on the straight and narrow.

This doesn't mean that they are any better than those who don't attend regular services it is more about their personal need. Keep in mind that often these individuals are fighting their own demons which is part of the attraction for them in an effort to keep from straying.

Hopefully your sister's husband will in time learn to treat others with love and respect. There is a reason he is her ex.

In any event if your instincts are warning you about something - make sure you pay attention. Humans are the only animals whose instincts tell them to run yet they ignore them and march right into danger.

amo013 - I've often found that the people who need the structure of organized religion do so because it gives them accountability. They can have a routine with other like minded individuals to provide a sort of check system to keep them on track or to otherwise encourage them to keep on the straight and narrow.

This doesn't mean that they are any better than those who don't attend regular services it is more about their personal need. Keep in mind that often these individuals are fighting their own demons which is part of the attraction for them in an effort to keep from straying.

I never really thought about it that way. That's a very interesting viewpoint. My sister's ex (boyfriend, not husband :) ) is definitely one of the people you speak of.

I think the problem is, is that people like my sister's ex become so obsessed with religion because they used to feel so incredibly horrible about themselves. Then they find something that makes them feel really good. I honestly believe it is like an addiction for them. Because a lot of the time, and I speak from personal experience with others in my life, they don't really even change at all. Save for the fact that they go to church now and read the bible. And I am not speaking about all people who suddenly find religion, only some, and I've known a few.

I've noticed that these people start to look down on their old friends cuz they won't buy into their newfound religion and eventually pull away from them. It's understandable if they do this because the old friends are bad news period, but I'm talking about friends and family that have always been there for them and suddenly aren't worthy because they don't share their same viewpoints on religion.

I might get a lot of guff for saying this, but it's almost like they've found something that isn't Godly at all. They become so incredibly judgemental, obsessed, and consumed with this new religion it begins to affect their lives negatively.

Sorry if I've strayed too far off the subject, guess I had some things to get off my chest and didn't really realize it ;)