World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
megann

Scared mommy over here...

megann

Hi everyone. I'm new here and joined because I really need some advice. Just a warning, this could get long...

I contracted genital herpes from my husband about 4 years ago. 3 years ago I gave birth vaginally to a healthy baby girl. At the time I was still getting outbreaks every few months, even had a few during my pregnancy, and was prescribed valtrex at 36 weeks. I took it once and felt very sick and had an overall bad feeling about it, did some reading online and came across stories of babies having seizures in the womb and nervous system damage because their mothers took the medication while pregnant, so I decided not to take it again. When I went into labor they examined me for active lesions, found none, and I was able to deliver naturally. I am now pregnant again with a baby boy and, as far as I was aware, hadn't had an outbreak in over a year. So I declined the valtrex again when it was prescribed, figuring that my chance of having an outbreak now was pretty slim...but today, at 39 and a half weeks, I had a false alarm (thought I was in labor but wasn't). At the hospital when I was examined, I was told I had a lesion just getting started. I had no idea. Not only do I not feel any itching, burning, tingling, or anything...but I also usually get a painful lump where my leg and groin area meet a few days before any outbreaks appear, and I don't have that now. Not only that, but apparently this outbreak is actually in my vagina whereas in the past I have ALWAYS had them on my left labia (sorry if this is getting graphic). When I was asked why I hadn't been taking the medication, I explained my findings from a few years back, and was shrugged off and told that valtrex is very safe in the last few weeks of pregnancy...when I got home, I could no longer find the articles I had read. So I decided to take the medication to try and clear up the outbreak and avoid a c-section. Right now I don't have any dilating and only have sporadic and weak contractions occasionally, which I've been having for months. So I think there's a good chance of this outbreak being gone by the time I go into labor. I know that if it's still there, they will automatically do a c-section. But my concern is, is it possible for me to still be contagious and spread the infection to my baby if the outbreak is newly healed? I thought that viral shedding usually occurred before the outbreak became present, but does it also occur after it heals? If this outbreak were on my labia, like usual, I wouldn't worry much. I know that even with an active lesion in a woman who has had the virus for a while, it's unlikely to spread unless it's in the birth canal. But by some amazing feat of bad luck, this one actually is. I'm also worried about the fact that it's only just getting started now and I'm due in just a few days. I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance, or someone to tell me how long an outbreak will usually last and stay contagious if you're taking valtrex? Other than that one pill during my last pregnancy, I have never taken medication for herpes before. I know the safe thing to do here would be to opt for a c-section whether the lesion is still there or not in a few days, but I can't have the surgery unless it's absolutely necessary. My husband is in the Navy and will only have a few days off after I deliver then will be leaving with his ship for a few weeks, and our closest family is 500 miles away. It will be very difficult for me to take care of two children on my own while recovering from major abdominal surgery. Of course I will have the c-section if I have to, rather than risk infecting my baby. But I know that, if the outbreak is gone, they won't make me. So I'm just wondering how big my risk of still spreading it in that case is. Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me. :confused:

MsLucy

I'm not going to advise you either way about whether to opt for a c-section or deliver vaginally. That's a decision you and your dr will have to make. All things considered, I'd have to seriously consider the c-section, but that's me.

I have had a c-section (in my 40's no less), though, so I can tell you pretty much what the recovery is like. True, it's major surgery, but I found the pain quite managable afterward with Tylenol. I had my son late in the afternoon, and was up the next day taking a shower and walking the halls. The sooner you get up and around the quicker you heal. Once you get past the first few steps (they're a killer) it's really not bad at all. I spent most of my time in the hospital walking the halls with my son. The big hitch for you would be that you have a 3 year old, and you're not supposed to lift for a while. You'd have to sit down and let her crawl up in your lap to be held.

Maybe one of your family members wouldn't mind making the drive to help you out for a week or so. It wouldn't hurt to ask. 500 miles isn't the other side of the world. They could make the drive in one day.

Whichever option you choose, I hope things work out well for you.

Hottfoxxy

Herpes is contagious up to one week after all sores have healed completely including scAbs gone and the skin looks normal again.. U as ms Lucy said has to do what's right for u and by what the doctor thinks.. Personally me myself would also opt for the c section being that u are so close to delivery and seeing that the outbreak is inside it may take longer to heal its very moist in there... Is rather my baby be safe!!! Good luck {{{ hugs}}}}

megann

thanks for the advice. I thought I'd give a little update. my little guy was born 5 weeks ago and is beautiful and healthy. there was no sign of the outbreak at all when he was born, and I wonder if there ever really was one in the first place. We decided not to risk a vaginal birth though, when there is no real evidence of how long it is contagious for and so it just didn't feel worth the risk considering how catastrophic herpes would be to a baby. My recovery wasn't too bad though and I've been back to feeling like myself for a few weeks now. I was a little disappointed in not being able to have a natural birth this time, but I'm glad I got to have that experience once and I'm just happy he's healthy.

Acesheart
thanks for the advice. I thought I'd give a little update. my little guy was born 5 weeks ago and is beautiful and healthy. there was no sign of the outbreak at all when he was born, and I wonder if there ever really was one in the first place. We decided not to risk a vaginal birth though, when there is no real evidence of how long it is contagious for and so it just didn't feel worth the risk considering how catastrophic herpes would be to a baby. My recovery wasn't too bad though and I've been back to feeling like myself for a few weeks now. I was a little disappointed in not being able to have a natural birth this time, but I'm glad I got to have that experience once and I'm just happy he's healthy.

Hey megann, congratulations!! A little prince, how lovely. I'm so happy for you guys. I too had csection, not because of h though, and the hormones were worst than the healing, I cryed a lot.LOL. giving birth was so overwhelming, I was a baby.LOL. I'm very happy for you. Take care. Hugs, Ace :hithere: