World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
SophieLauren

18 and diagnosed with this. Please give me advice to manage it.

SophieLauren

Hi.

So I got a coldsore on my mouth and was really run down at the time, so it spread. I then proceeded to have different out breaks around my body. Finally, this settled down in my vagina and now I have my diagnosis, after going through a lot with my doctor. I didn't contract this from sex, but had to go through a constant run of nurses saying it was my fault because I hadn't been cautious. My mother has the illness too, and I've had it since being a child, yet it has only recently come out. Currently I am living at university on my own and suffering.

I am currently suffering from about one outbreak every three months and have one at the moment which is really bad. My doctor has given me some anti-virals to prevent it from spreading further but I am having problems dealing with my current symptoms.

At the moment, I have a lot of sores, some open, some not, on my vagina and I have an almost constant itching or burning sensation. I need to be able to live my everyday life around the virus, but it is very hard sitting through a lecture in peace. I am using a cold compress and letting the area breathe when at home, but I was wondering if Sudocrem or another cream would help me out whilst not able to do these.

Any advice on managing and relieving pain and irritation would be appreciated as I am currently losing sleep and getting more and more run down from the problem. I'm so scared and I want to leave uni and go home to my mum right now just to feel less isolated.

Thanks.

Cruella de Vil

Hi sophie,

I'm sorry u r all alone right now. It must be so hard for u. U r a strong and brave young woman, other would have gone home by now. I can't give u the advice u need, I don't know the answer, sorry. I've only had an OB but I can suggest u join the chatroom. That's a good place to ask and get good answers. Feel free to join us there. We r all here for u. Take care.

Wuzzle

Hi Sophie

It really is a horrid thing to have as you can't even tell anyone what's up! You feel isolated and ugly but you must remember you're not! I've lived with it for 10 years and you do learn what the triggers are for you. When I feel an ob coming I take ibuprofen to reduce swelling, also keep yourself clean and DRY, use un perfumed talc to dry all the crevices after showering, herpes loves damp conditions! Try not to stress about it as that can make it worse, easier said than done I know but do try to stay positive! I find creams like lanocane at the beginning can help anaesthetise the area but don't use for long, as you want the blighted to dry up and piss off. Looks like you e come to the right place here, so many people that were suffering alone can now talk freely without judgement. You are young and intelligent, you control it, don't let it control you. X

SophieLauren

Thanks both of you. I'm getting it quite a lot, so I think I'm going to talk to my new doctor about suppressive treatment for a little while, especially whilst I get used to a new place and new people. There is also a counselling department here which I may drop in to and see if I can get someone to talk to there. It's especially hard now as every time I meet a guy in a bar I keep thinking about the illness despite not being about to sleep with them. I can't even say hi to them at the moment because all I can think of is 'what if they're nice and it goes somewhere and I have to tell them' I'll get there though... I hope. x

beccaboo

I'm 22 and a student as well. I can relate to the isolated-ness. I just received my diagnosis yesterday. I haven't had it typed yet but it's "down there." I found out very quickly that it is incredibly painful to urinate but I've also found an easy solution just as quickly. Simply carrying water bottle with a squirt top with you into the restroom (no one will think twice when you store it in your backpack and bring your backpack into the stall), and flushing the area as you urinate makes it essentially painless. Don't be afraid to be generous with that water! Refill (so you're not scrambling with an empty water bottle and having to pee!) and wash the water bottle along with your hands afterwards. Just don't confuse this as your drinking water bottle! I hope this helps some.