World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Adam86

Do I need to get a herpes blood test?

Adam86

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum, i took a look through the older threads to try and find one relevent to my experience but couldn't see one so apologies if i'm repeating things covered elsewhere.

3 months ago I had unprotected oral sex whilst stupidly drunk. About 7 weeks later I noticed a spot at the base of my penis and a really nasty deep spot in my pubic area. I went to the GUM clinic and the nurse said they didn't look herpetic and were probably just spots, she took a blood test, urine sample and a swab of my urethra to screen for other sti's (couldn't swab the spots as they'd already healed up too much) and sent me on my way. I assumed I was just being paranoid and tried to forget about the whole thing but over the 2 weeks I was waiting for my test results to come back I started having other symptoms - aches and pains in my legs and groin, flu like symptoms that barely lasted a day, some mild lower back pain and another spot on my penis next to where the first one was. My test results came back negative for all the other stuff but I wasn't tested for herpes as it wasn't possible to swab and you can't get the blood test in the UK on the NHS (it costs about £150 to get it done in a private clinic).

Its been 3 months now since my potential exposure and I'm still having some symptoms. I regularly have pain in my lymph nodes, primarily on the right side but occasionally on the left (they aren't swollen though) and i've had a couple of spots in the same areas as before (although they don't look like herpes sores, more like folliculitis or ingrown hairs).

I can't really afford to get the blood test done (i'm not even sure which herpes test they offer) but the thought of dating again and giving it to someone else is really scary.

So what do you think I should do? Am I just being paranoid and giving myself these symptoms or should I find a way to pay for the blood test? Any help or advice you could offer would be really great,

Cheers

GntiNh

Hi and welcome.

It depends upon where you live as to whether you can get a blood test on the NHS, it is to do with funding; some Primary Care Trust do, some don't. Ask your GP to find out.

If you can get back to your GP or GUM clinic and get the spots swabbed and type tested.

Your GP should also investigate any pain your lymph nodes as this is often an indicator of your body fighting some sort of infection.

Good luck and let us know how you got on.

Adam86

Thanks for your response.

I live in Reading, I asked about the blood test at the GUM clinic and they said they didn't do it and didn't know anywhere that did. Googling it just seems to bring up loads of private places that want £££ for it.

I'll go to my GP and ask about my lymph nodes as googling that seems to bring up a lot of things far more serious than H!

Thanks again

Acesheart

Hey Adam welcome to our site :wavey: . Can I ask hon why you think its h ? Have you ever had chicken pox or mono, well that is herpes zosters, a member of the herps family. Have you ever had a cold sore or did the partner who performed the oral, that is ohsv1.. Good luck on getting an Igg blood test which is specific for detecting herps antibodies .. I know of several people in the UK who have had to go private. Please read all you can here about h, here is a book www.westoverheights.com , read all you can. Take care, Truly Ace, :hithere:

GntiNh
Thanks for your response.

I live in Reading, I asked about the blood test at the GUM clinic and they said they didn't do it and didn't know anywhere that did. Googling it just seems to bring up loads of private places that want £££ for it.

I'll go to my GP and ask about my lymph nodes as googling that seems to bring up a lot of things far more serious than H!

Thanks again

The GUM clinics are having their funding reduced so I'm not surprised that they didn't offer it. They are "cagey" in saying where you can get it aswell as the blood tests are expensive.

Yes googling can be very dangerous - housemaid's knee and lassa fever spring to mind.

The Chelsea and Westminster hospital in London used to do blood tests but with the spending cuts they may not offer this anymore. See what your GP can suggest

Adam86
Hey Adam welcome to our site :wavey: . Can I ask hon why you think its h ? Have you ever had chicken pox or mono, well that is herpes zosters, a member of the herps family. Have you ever had a cold sore or did the partner who performed the oral, that is ohsv1

Hi Ace,

I'm not sure that it is H, it just seemed the most likely cause of the aches and pains in my leg and groin along with the other symptoms even discounting the spots. I had chicken pox as a kid but never had a cold sore or mono. The partner didn't have a cold sore that I could see either. I understand that this doesn't sound like a typical case but if there's one thing thats clear from these forums its that there a lot of ways to experience this.

Thanks for all your help, I'll be sure to read up on that book and keep you posted with my attempts to get the IGG test on the NHS.

Adam86

Hi guys,

Just to offer an update I've basically spent the last month dealing with the same symptoms whilst trying to get a herpes specific blood test on the NHS. As far as the blood test goes it isn't an option in the UK right now unless you're going private (at a cost of around £150), I tried to find out why but both my GP and the nurse at the GUM clinic were pretty quick to end all talk of it, I guess they're sick of people asking for it. I assume its just down to public spending cuts and the fact the virus is too widespread and incureable anyway.

I'm still having symptoms though and the pain on the right side of my groin comes and goes most days, its never unbearable but is a distraction. Also shortly after I last posted I started to feel pains in my right armpit and right arm (at the base of my bicep near my elbow). I'm still getting pains in my legs too, mostly the right one but occasionally the left. As of yet I've had no sores or blisters and as the only test available in the UK is the swab i'm effectively in no mans land as far as getting a definititve yes/no answer.

The nurse at the GUM clinic was certain it wasn't herpes and I've seen my GP a couple of times since who also doesn't think it could be either. He's given me blood tests to check my thyroid function and also to test for general bacterial or viral infection all of which came back clear. Last time I saw him he did a physical exam of my groin and noticed that one of the lymph nodes was a bit swollen (in the area where i'm having the pain) and as I'd complained of a small amount of testicle pain too he wants me to get an ultrasound on both just to be safe but aside from that he doesn't have any ideas as to what could be causing my pain.

What do you guys think? Could this be herpes or am I just being really paranoid? I'm hopefully gonna start dating someone soon and whilst i'm totally prepared to have "the talk" (mostly thanks to this forum) I don't want to drop the H bomb if I don't need to. Any advice is appreciated

Adam

Acesheart

Hey Adam, just my opinion no, this doesn't sound like herpes simplex virus. But we are not doctors and we cannot diagnose anyone. I know several young men here from the UK, they too have went as far as to go private and still no proper diagnosis. It's really sad, even here in the US, they are not properly diagnosing herpes. If it were me, no I would not disclose what you don't know, aren't sure, you have. Have you had your prostrate checked? It's another issue that has caused some of these pains, not the armpits pains of course. Take care keep me posted hon. Truly, Ace :hithere:

Adam86

Thanks for the advice Ace. No I haven't had my prostate checked yet, I haven't had any problems urinating which would normally be a sign of a problem there plus its not a proceedure I really want to go through unless absolutely necessessary ;-) .

I'm not gonna go private for the blood test; aside from the fact I can't afford it, even if I could the most likely result would be positive for HSV1 and as there's every chance I would've tested positive for that before this encounter it's not going to tell me much. I'll wait to see how the ultrasound goes and see what else it could be, its possible it could just be stress related though; perhaps even fibromyalgia or something similar.

Thanks for all your help, if I have any further developments I'll be sure to post again.

Adam

Adam86

Sorry for bumping an old thread but after thinking that I was just being paranoid about this i've started having symptoms again.

So after I had the ultrasound (which didn't find anything) I decided that the pains in my groin and armpit must have been caused by stress. They eventually died down a bit and I was able to ignore them. In January I had what could've been a cold sore (would've been my first), it didn't look like a typical cold sore though, it was more like the side of the mouth was cracking, like angular cheilitis but only on one side. Once it healed it would tingle and hurt for periods especially when the wind was really cold so I put it down to the weather drying my skin out; I have dry skin at the sides of my eyes and nostrils at the moment as we've had a pretty brutal winter here so it made sense. Then after having the flu last weekend on Monday I noticed a small blister on the inside of my left index finder, the area felt bruised for the first 2 days but you can still see where it was almost a week later. It looks a lot like some of the herpes whitlow pictures I seen so now I'm pretty concered I've transferred it from my genitals or my lips to my hands. I've had some pains in my groin again but no blisters.

Really not sure what I should do now. I feel like I should pay for the blood test but I have no idea which test they offer (the websites for these private places seem pretty vague) so it could be a lot of money spent for very little information in return. If anyone in the UK can offer any information on going private please let me know. Any other advice or thoughts would be welcomed.

Acesheart
Sorry for bumping an old thread but after thinking that I was just being paranoid about this i've started having symptoms again.

So after I had the ultrasound (which didn't find anything) I decided that the pains in my groin and armpit must have been caused by stress. They eventually died down a bit and I was able to ignore them. In January I had what could've been a cold sore (would've been my first), it didn't look like a typical cold sore though, it was more like the side of the mouth was cracking, like angular cheilitis but only on one side. Once it healed it would tingle and hurt for periods especially when the wind was really cold so I put it down to the weather drying my skin out; I have dry skin at the sides of my eyes and nostrils at the moment as we've had a pretty brutal winter here so it made sense. Then after having the flu last weekend on Monday I noticed a small blister on the inside of my left index finder, the area felt bruised for the first 2 days but you can still see where it was almost a week later. It looks a lot like some of the herpes whitlow pictures I seen so now I'm pretty concered I've transferred it from my genitals or my lips to my hands. I've had some pains in my groin again but no blisters.

Really not sure what I should do now. I feel like I should pay for the blood test but I have no idea which test they offer (the websites for these private places seem pretty vague) so it could be a lot of money spent for very little information in return. If anyone in the UK can offer any information on going private please let me know. Any other advice or thoughts would be welcomed.

Hey Adam try www.anylabtest.com , they can give you informations on a testing site in your area. Oh since your in the UK, message GntiNH, she is a Mod (name in Green) in the UK, she has some informations on these testing places and where to look. Keep us posted. Getting that finger tested cultured or swabbed, or going private for IGG Blood Test. This may be an option. Hugs, Ace :)

Adam86

Thanks Ace, that link was exactly what I was looking for and I'll be sure to message GntiNH for advice.

My finger never really developed to a point where a sample could have taken otherwise I would've been straight to the clinic. It was a very small whitish lump that looked more like an old scar than a blister and because I first noticed it the day after going rock climbing I assumed it was just an abrasion picked up from that but as its still visible a week later I'm thinking herpes is more likely than anything.

Adam86

I decided to just pay for the IGG test after getting pretty stressed about not being able to get it on the NHS and still being in no mans land with my symptoms. Got the results today, it was the BioELISA IgG test:

H.S.V. I (IgG) Negative 0.294 Index (Neg <0.9)

H.S.V. II (IgG) Negative 0.150 Index (Neg <0.9)

This would be 7 months after possible exposure, is this safe to assume I don't have it now?

Acesheart
I decided to just pay for the IGG test after getting pretty stressed about not being able to get it on the NHS and still being in no mans land with my symptoms. Got the results today, it was the BioELISA IgG test:

H.S.V. I (IgG) Negative 0.294 Index (Neg <0.9)

H.S.V. II (IgG) Negative 0.150 Index (Neg <0.9)

This would be 7 months after possible exposure, is this safe to assume I don't have it now?

Yes!! I would say with those numbers it's pretty safe to say no herps for you :) . If you are still preoccupied with this, send these test numbers to: DR Grace @, , Address your test & results directly to her. She responds back by message to you with her determinations of these results. Congratulations honey. Hugs, Ace :)

WilsoInAus

Hi Adam

Reinforcing Ace's comments, those figures are pretty much as low as they come. They are very sensitive tests, the low numbers are always there owing to a tiny noise level of unrelated blood proteins reacting to the test kit.

Many know how you feel where every little thing seems to prove in our minds that its HSV. It is amazing how our own minds can link symptoms not to mention trigger issues with our immune response.

However is something doesn't feel normal then it most likely isn't, it's just not HSV though. There are plenty of bacteria that are sexually transmitted that cause issues with the prostate, kidneys and bladder but plenty of other risk factors can do this too. So many men do say things like this never happened before I slept with 'her' but a good proportion of the time it's unrelated. I hope you discover your causes soon, or your body may very well expunge it!

Adam86

Thanks guys. The Doc I last saw thought it sounded more like Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome (which I'd never heard of until then) than anything else and from what I've read so far that does seem possible. Hopefully the other users I've seen here with similar symptoms and no answers can look into that as a possible cause. Either way now that I can put HSV behind me hopefully I can reduce my stress levels and focus on moving past it all, that IGG test may be the best £130 I've ever spent!

Thank you all so much for your help with all of this, I can't tell you the difference it makes to have this sort of support when you're dealing with this stuff. You're all truly amazing.

Adam.

Acesheart

Hey Adam, can you imagine how it was 25 years ago, we knew nothing :dontknow: . Had no information, no support and no web . You what sweety , we just lived and loved and built families. It is my soul purpose to help everyone I come in contact with. To hear those words you just said really brought a tear to my eyes, but a smile to my.heart. Hugs sweety, Sincerely Ceci xoxo , Now go out and live :) .