World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
RockstarAlien

Is this a scam?

EnglishGirl

Hi RockstarAlien

I've just noticed you didn't get any replies, this isn't a scam as far as I'm aware there are studies showing on PubMed to show this is legitimate.

I'm thinking of trying this out.

Rational Response

Look at the disclaimer at the bottom of the page:

"2013 Fenvir.com. All rights reserved.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. These products are not intended to prevent, treat, cure, or diagnose any disease. Information on this site is for educational purposes only. It is not medical advice. Consult a physician if you seek medical advice or have a medical problem."

That's about all you need to know.

EnglishGirl

But they said they have carried out clinical studies? They said because the product is natural it doesn't need to surpass the FDA? It also says it's an antiviral that could be better than Acyclovir & other current antivirals. Are they allowed to say these statements legally if it's a scam?

EnglishGirl

There are links on the site to PubMed research of the products within the Fenvir tablets http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15305315 this is one of them and apparently all of their ingredients are backed by scientific research http://www.fenvir.com/fenvir-ingredients

I am however very skeptical of everything I see so would like a professionals opinion

sen

At a scientific level all we can do at this point is wait the results for the trials @ Agenus, Genocea and AiCuris.

Other than that, these supplements and and vitamins etc are what they are... No prescription needed. Easy to buy on the Net.

Rational Response

Why would you buy a product that claims that it can cure you (ask for evidence, ie clinical trials) and at the bottom of the page, the company provides a disclaimer that their product hasn't gone through rigorous human clinical trials ("These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA") and that the product won't cure you ("These products are not intended to prevent, treat, cure, or diagnose any disease")?

It's like talking to a psychic about dead relatives

, or the police who actually waste resources with "psychic" detectives
: the disclaimer what "psychics" like to use is "For Entertainment Purposes Only."

A disclaimer like these are used by quacks where they can sell you a product or a service so they won't get sued. Yes, it's legal, as long as it has a disclaimer of course.

By saying that Fenvir is "natural" simply means its ingredients, occur in nature, it doesn't mean we can't test them. Aspirin is natural, as it comes from the bark of trees, and it can be tested in clinical trials to prevent cardiovascular disease or to prevent a stroke. Any "alternative" medicine that is proven to work is called medicine.

If Fenvir has the clinical studies backing up their claims they should provide the studies and end results. If you look at their "Research" page, their studies don't provide you with the results from the tests they conducted. They describe only a list of ingredients that is suppose to be anti-viral. Where is the research that they said they had conducted? If their product Fenvir worked, why would I need a 90-day money back guarantee? Also, beware of products that rely heavily on testimonials, if they have evidence that their product works they would be showing you positive results from clinical trials and not solely rely on anecdotal experience.

osten

All very well said, Rational Response. The final insult is that as you approach the bottom of the page, a little box pops up, which covers up some or most of the disclaimer, depending on how big the page is.

Also, in their FAQ they say "This published NIH study confirms FENVIR™ is not only superior to the most popular prescription HSV drug, it also corroborates what we already knew. FENVIR™ is light years ahead of traditional HSV-1 (oral herpes) and HSV-2 (genital herpes) remedies and treatments." Thistotally misrepresents what that study said.

The study only said that the substance has an effect on certain strains of HSV that are acyclovir-resistant. It didn't compare the actual efficacy of the two, at least not in the abstract presented.

Buyer beware.

EnglishGirl

I won't be buying into this product, I just wanted to discuss it's possible benefits, I didn't think it was a 'cure' just maybe a product to keep HSV at bay but maybe not :-( back to Acyclovir I go....

JustMe316

I'm a scientist working in a research lab and what happens with these things that are sold over the counter are that they have usually been evaluated in animal studies but have not gone into human trials for one reason or another, or in some cases they have but the results weren't good enough to continue to pursue the pharmaceutical route (sometimes because they just don't work, but sometimes because the funding isn't there to continue development of the drug in a second human trial if the first one fails - clinical trials can cost millions of dollars). We had a product that we struggled with in clinical trials but weren't able to continue with the development, although it did have potential, and the easiest step then is to pursue approval for selling it over the counter. We've since put that product on hold to pursue one that has more promise of being able to market as a drug (they're both designed to treat a condition called hyperoxaluria, where the body has a genetic mutation that does not enable you to break down oxalate, which is the main component of kidney stones, and results usually in death for the people who are born with it).

Either way, I know that doesn't help much to decipher the information for this particular product. I just came across this thread so I haven't read the study papers on it yet, but it could be that it does have some potential but just fell short of pharmaceutical status for some reason or another. Or it could just not work.. I'd definitely not try to replace one of the established treatments with this one if you're a person who definitely needs something that is proven to work, but could be worth a shot if you're just curious and don't mind an untreated outbreak should it not follow through on any of its promises.

EnglishGirl

Thanks Justme316 it's nice to read a perspective from someone who's in the area of scientific research. I won't invest in something that hasn't passed human clinical trials as I do not have the credentials to do so however if something was proven in clinical trials to work I would take out a loan or spend my inheritance on it to get me rid of this virus or at least eliminate the risk of transmitting this to someone else!

Good luck to everyone waiting & hoping for releif of this virus!

Tinderh2
But they said they have carried out clinical studies? They said because the product is natural it doesn't need to surpass the FDA? It also says it's an antiviral that could be better than Acyclovir & other current antivirals. Are they allowed to say these statements legally if it's a scam?

im in the medical field not sure about this but there isn't a herbal that cures viruses. If there were we wouldn't make analogs of endogenous molecules and spend millions of dollars when you can just apply this crushed plant into your skin or whatever they're trying to sell.

Railroaded2

I heard about Fenvir when around they started. PubMed is way more reliable than most places of the internet. I go there first as my Wiki. Either that or Google Scholar.

Long story short that disclaimer is so they don't get in trouble under FDA's product labeling rules. Its standard of what HAS to be packaged with if its a non drug supplement. No exceptions. Even if it had clinical trials.

@ Tinder.... Extract are the oil of crushed plant, not the actual crushed plant. And where do you think you get those derivitives from. Well not plants, but a lot of chemicals at a molecular level have come out of plants for drugs, and it takes some pretty pennies to bankroll that. May I ask what it is you specifically do? Chiropractor?

@ just, yeah I haven't seen the latest. too bad too. I hate to think with that some tweaking you know? it's just not there. What I like to think would be smart, is using sites like this and electronic consents to sign people up for chem trials with meds via amazon. Not just for HSV but for multiple types of medical studies, greater access to willing people, no need for in patient, you can skype the interviews all that need to be done is electronic forms, and surveys, easy enough. I think this method of "e human trialing" would get us a greater chance of saving funds, for if there needs to bee budget tweaks.

[uSER=31372]@Rational Response[/uSER], you linked youtubed vids as supporting evidence .... about psychics. . . That is something that you took time out of you life... and did. and it's now on the internet, for people to see what you did too.