World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
EnglishGirl

Some info on AiCuris

EnglishGirl

I know a lot of people are already on the ball about potential treatments coming up but for those that aren't, here's some promising info about AiCuris which should be available by 2015 fingers crossed!

;)

AiCuris: No Resistant Herpes Simplex Virus (HSV) Observed in Phase II Trial with Herpes Drug AIC316

08.09.2011: AiCuris announces that it will present the results of the resistance analysis from the recently completed phase II clinical trial with AIC316 at the 51st Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy (ICAAC) in USA, Chicago. AIC316 is one of AiCuris lead compounds and was tested in patients with genital herpes (herpes simplex virus type 2, HSV-2). AiCuris' project leader and senior scientist Dr. Alexander Birkmann will present the work, which was conducted in collaboration with the University of Washington, Seattle.

In the trial 156 HSV-2 positive subjects were randomized to either one of four AIC316 treatment groups or to placebo. Objective of the trial was to compare the efficacy of different doses of AIC316 (5, 25, and 75 mg once daily and 400 mg once weekly) and placebo with respect to the suppression of HSV mucocutaneous shedding under treatment. Trial participants provided daily swabs of their genital area that were analyzed for HSV DNA. Treatment with AIC316 was safe and well tolerated. A significant and dose dependent reduction of both viral DNA and days with HSV lesions could be demonstrated.

Positive swabs were subjected to DNA sequence analysis and sequence data of relevant regions in the viral UL5 helicase and UL52 primase genes (the molecular targets of AIC316) were compared with the HSV-2 reference sequence. It could be shown that under treatment with AIC316 in this phase II trial there was no emergence of viruses with any of the recognized resistance mutations.

"The fact that no potentially resistance mediating mutations were detected under AIC316 treatment is very encouraging" says Professor Helga Ruebsamen-Schaeff, CEO of AiCuris, "As we saw a clear dose-response within our trial, this result also means that even under a suboptimal therapy at the lower dose, which allowed some viral growth, no resistant mutants escaped."

Voodoo

I've heard this good news about aicuris. I was wondering where you got the 2015 date from? I've tried contacting aicuris before with no success. I wish they had more funding going towards their research. They've had pretty consistent good news.

lookinforrelief

aicuris is recruiting right now. i think in two states....oregon and indiana. go to clinicaltrails.gov and search aic316. i hope we hurry and get something that works soon. i'm so tired of dealing with this. supplements and herbals are helping but it's still lingering on my face and the prodrome and constant outbreaks are so horrible. i'm at my lowest low. i just want something to work. i've tried all antiviral rx already. please a company come out with a new treatment/cure that works.........please. i hate looking and feeling like this.

Vidhya

"No resistant mutants escaped"... It looks like some horror show of some kind. How many viruses and bacteria of all kinds we harbour in our bodies quite harmlessly throughout our lives? We've had this one with no major health consequence probably since mankind exists. Now they've turned it into some mosntrosity. It is unhelpful to quote this kind of medical literature to the general public - and these doctors know that. They just don't seem to care really.

EnglishGirl
I've heard this good news about aicuris. I was wondering where you got the 2015 date from? I've tried contacting aicuris before with no success. I wish they had more funding going towards their research. They've had pretty consistent good news.

I'm not 100% sure what site this was on, I just googled it lol. I'll see if I can find out. This virus is getting me down too, I have genital type 2, the fear of passing is making me feel physically sick & I had protected sex recently straight away I had an outbreak after, it's my second ever actual outbreak well visible one anyway so now I'm loosing sleep over the fact that I could pass it :-( even if you disclose it doesn't make it any easier to sleep at night worrying about giving this to someone!

Voodoo

I agree. Just the thought of passing it makes my stomach knot up for days after I've even remotely been intimate with anyone. That's why I'm praying for aicuris's success. I'd take what essentially could be a permanent suppressant until they can find an actual cure. I've been thinking of starting up a thank you letter like the one made for Genocea just to remind them that we're still her, thankful for their research, and rooting for them.

davidis
I've been thinking of starting up a thank you letter like the one made for Genocea just to remind them that we're still her, thankful for their research, and rooting for them.

I love that idea, if you start a thread for it I'll send my regards as well.

lookinforrelief

Me too voodoo. I hope it would help speed things along.

donniebrasco

Yes, I would love to speed up the process. I think AIC316 is our next best option. They are doing a Phase 2 study NCT01658826 to compare it with Valtrex but no mention of Phase 3. I tried emailing them too...nothing.

donniebrasco

Regarding AIC316 AiCuris' project leader Dr. Alexander Birkmann adds: "The benefit of strongly suppressed viral shedding combined with protection of uninfected cells, may even reduce the viral burden in herpes patients treated long term or repeatedly over time and may reduce the frequency and severity of outbreaks, which is not achievable by present drugs."

That is the best news that I've read. Protection of uninflected cells, along with reduced viral load. I wish they would speed this up, it sounds promising.

Dummy
Regarding AIC316 AiCuris' project leader Dr. Alexander Birkmann adds: "The benefit of strongly suppressed viral shedding combined with protection of uninfected cells, may even reduce the viral burden in herpes patients treated long term or repeatedly over time and may reduce the frequency and severity of outbreaks, which is not achievable by present drugs."

That is the best news that I've read. Protection of uninflected cells, along with reduced viral load. I wish they would speed this up, it sounds promising.

The line "speed this up"... would be great!.. I wish we had the crew of folks on here with Herps before Valtrex.. just to see how it all unfolded for them as a breakthrogh

Voodoo

I spoke with someone from the University of Washington who has partnered with Aicuris for this research and he informed me that they are coming to the end of the IRB process for phase 3 and should be starting it up soon. I'm not sure how this could work since they are still completing phase 2b, but he indicated to me this was the plan according to the calendar for the study they were provided.

Dummy
I spoke with someone from the University of Washington who has partnered with Aicuris for this research and he informed me that they are coming to the end of the IRB process for phase 3 and should be starting it up soon. I'm not sure how this could work since they are still completing phase 2b, but he indicated to me this was the plan according to the calendar for the study they were provided.

Question: Whats an IRB???

How many phases does it usually go through before they consider success or failure?

Voodoo
Question: Whats an IRB???

How many phases does it usually go through before they consider success or failure?

It's an Institutional Review Board. They approve the study according to scientific guidelines so that the researchers may go ahead with the study. Most studies do 3 phases. The phases usually look at safety (I), efficacy (II), and dosage needed for optimal effect (III). Considering the success rate of their phase 1 and phase 2a studies, I don't believe that they feel their product will be a failure.

lovelyoptimistic

It's not a phase 2b. They hsve already completed a full phase 2. The second phase 2 is just to do a direct comparison with valtrex to prove it's more effective...this in hopes to speed up/fast track approval process. So they have been ready for phase 3 just waiting for fda irb to approve it

Dummy
It's not a phase 2b. They hsve already completed a full phase 2. The second phase 2 is just to do a direct comparison with valtrex to prove it's more effective...this in hopes to speed up/fast track approval process. So they have been ready for phase 3 just waiting for fda irb to approve it

anddd the good ol crooked FDA will probably take there good ol time with approval.. SMH.. When will someone who truly cares step up and put fire to all of this !!

Voodoo

Thank you for clearing that up for me, good to know. I wasn't quit sure what this second phase 2 was for. Well phase 3 should be starting up soon. I was told at the time of conversation that they would be done with the IRB process within a week or 2 and the conversation was about a week and half ago.

EnglishGirl

Good info guys!

Fingers crossed they'll have it on the market by the beginning of 2015! That gives them 2 years to pull their finger out of their bum!

lovelyoptimistic
Thank you for clearing that up for me, good to know. I wasn't quit sure what this second phase 2 was for. Well phase 3 should be starting up soon. I was told at the time of conversation that they would be done with the IRB process within a week or 2 and the conversation was about a week and half ago.

Very good news!!!! I know aicuris is ready to get through these trials.