World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
mrsjackson

My husband's results

mrsjackson

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with hsv via culture a little more than a month ago. I have not had a blood test. I had assumed that my husband had probably gotten it from a previous partner, didn't know he had it and had given it to me. Even though I have had previous partners, since I haven't been with anyone else in the last 8 years I assume that's how it went.

My husband got the igg (?) test after I told him I was diagnosed. His results came back negative for HSV2. The doc said that he had been exposed to HSV1 in the past.

What does "had been exposed to in the past" even mean? If this is not something that goes away, why did the dr. put it in those terms. Also, is it even possible that mine could be HSV-1 as well? I assumed that because of the severity of my outbreak that it must be HSV-2 and that HSV-1 is only on your lips/face.

Someone please offer some clarity! Thank you!

wakingdream

I've got no idea regarding the doctor's terminology, but I do know that you can get HSV-1 on your genitals. If, for example, your husband has HSV-1 (which it sounds like he might, but again, the doctor's words are very confusing), he could have passed it to you during oral sex, in which case you would have genital HSV-1.

I'd go get a blood test and figure out which type you have. It's also possible that you've had HSV-2 for quite some time and haven't had an outbreak until a couple of months ago.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, I'm pretty new to all of this! Best of luck and try not to stress out too much about it.

RealisticGal

I was diagnosed with hsv via culture a little more than a month ago. I have not had a blood test. I had assumed that my husband had probably gotten it from a previous partner, didn't know he had it and had given it to me. Even though I have had previous partners, since I haven't been with anyone else in the last 8 years I assume that's how it went.

Hi mrsjackson ---

It's natural to assume that, but there is no reason it had to be that way.

You could have gotten HSV from any of your previous partners without ever knowing it. About 70% of those who have HSV are not aware of it. The virus can lay dormant in the nerve ganglia for months, years, or even decades --- then pop out and cause an outbreak.

It is also (still) possible you got it from your husband.

My husband got the igg (?) test after I told him I was diagnosed. His results came back negative for HSV2. The doc said that he had been exposed to HSV1 in the past.

What does "had been exposed to in the past" even mean? If this is not something that goes away, why did the dr. put it in those terms.

Unfortunately, it is very typical for doctors to use that terminology. It is very misleading! :motz:

Saying he was "exposed in the past" implies he doesn't have the virus now. That is not the case.

He tested positive for HSV-I antibodies, which means he does have the virus. Even without any known symptoms, he could pass it to others.

Also, is it even possible that mine could be HSV-1 as well? I assumed that because of the severity of my outbreak that it must be HSV-2 and that HSV-1 is only on your lips/face.

Someone please offer some clarity! Thank you!

Yes, it is possible that you could have HSV-I. If the doctor did not order the lab to "type" your culture, all you know at this point is that you have HSV.

• HSV-I is not only on the face/mouth. It can cause infection anywhere.

• Both HSV-I and HSV-II can cause infection in any of the locations that can be affected by Herpes simplex (face/mouth, genitals, torso, hands, eyes, etc.)

• HSV-I can cause genital outbreaks just as severe as those caused by HSV-II.

• Likewise, HSV-II can cause mild outbreaks or no symptoms at all in the genital area.

• The experts tell us that genital HSV-I is on the rise.

• They say that roughly 30% to 40% of new cases of genital Herpes are currently being caused by HSV-I.

The IgG-based blood tests cannot identify where he has HSV-I. It could be oral or genital. Either way, he could have passed it to your genital area.

If you get another genital outbreak, you could have it swabbed, cultured and "TYPED" while still fresh.

You could also get the Type Specific IgG-based Antibody (blood) test, to find out which type(s) you have that way.

It isn't a perfect system...

:wavey::vollkommenauf:

mrsjackson

Thank you so much @Realistic Gal. I've been feeling pretty confused by it all and this is very helpful info.

goddess8

Wait at least another six weeks before you get that type specific blood test though. You want to give your body a chance to develop the antibodies to show up in your blood. Also realize that take antivirals might delay the production of those antibodies, so if you are planning to take the blood test you might want to not start or discontinue antivirals.

mrsjackson
Wait at least another six weeks before you get that type specific blood test though. You want to give your body a chance to develop the antibodies to show up in your blood. Also realize that take antivirals might delay the production of those antibodies, so if you are planning to take the blood test you might want to not start or discontinue antivirals.

Thanks. I was prescribed Valtrex for 10 days but have been off of it for the last two weeks. Good to know that I should wait to get the test because my Dr didn't mention that.

RealisticGal

I disagree with this. There is really no need for you to wait 6 weeks before getting blood tests, mrsjackson.

• In fact, having just had your first known outbreak, getting the blood tests right away could give you some useful information.

• Testing now could give you your "baseline" status.

• There is a good chance you may have already seroconverted (formed antibodies), anyway.

• The median time to seroconvert is 21 days for HSV-II and 25 days for HSV-I, (based on studies using the Herpeselect ELISA test kit).

• If you come up negative at this point, that can suggest that you just became infected recently.

• If your first test is negative, the experts would suggest that you THEN wait 4 to 6 months before re-testing.

:wavey:

goddess8

Good point. I didn't think about the fact that it might be useful to know if the infection was recent. I was just trying to save the trouble of having to get two tests.

Number7
Thanks. I was prescribed Valtrex for 10 days but have been off of it for the last two weeks. Good to know that I should wait to get the test because my Dr didn't mention that.

If you were diagnosed via culture, did your doctor not send it away for "typing"? You can call your doctor and ask if it's not too late to "type" it. Your doctor should've had it "typed" and ordered blood testing for you at the same time.

Most doctors have no idea how to handle hsv "situations".

Also, if your husband already has hsv1, there's a chance he passed it on to you genitally. He might just have been having an "active phase" non-symptomatically. If you should have another outbreak, you need to get to your doctor within 24 hrs and request a culture with typing.

Have you downloaded the free herpes handbook at "Westoverheights.com"?

RealisticGal
Good point. I didn't think about the fact that it might be useful to know if the infection was recent. I was just trying to save the trouble of having to get two tests.

Yes, because mrsjackson was pleading for some clarity as to how she could have acquired HSV, it would be prudent for her to get the testing done quickly. That gives the best chance of narrowing down the time frame a bit.

Please understand, many people never know for sure when/from whom they got the virus. It's a sneaky little bastard that way.

:dong:

mrsjackson
If you were diagnosed via culture, did your doctor not send it away for "typing"? You can call your doctor and ask if it's not too late to "type" it. Your doctor should've had it "typed" and ordered blood testing for you at the same time.

Most doctors have no idea how to handle hsv "situations".

Also, if your husband already has hsv1, there's a chance he passed it on to you genitally. He might just have been having an "active phase" non-symptomatically. If you should have another outbreak, you need to get to your doctor within 24 hrs and request a culture with typing.

Have you downloaded the free herpes handbook at "Westoverheights.com"?

@Number7 No, my culture was not typed. I got diagnosed at an urgent care center. They did not send my culture for typing. I then went to my own doc to get checked and to talk about the results, and he didn't really bring up "typing" and didn't seem to think it a big deal that I get the blood test. I wasn't haven't an outbreak then (one of only about 2 days in the last month and a half) I figured at that point that it would make more sense for my husband to get the test, because if he came back negative then I would know that I needed to try and keep him from getting it, but if he came back positive and we both had it then keeping him safe wouldn't be as much of a concern. I also didn't know much about the different types early on, so I was really thinking he would either be positive or negative, not necessarily thinking that maybe we had different types or that I could have type I on my genitals.

I feel like I am always having an outbreak, even though I've never seen blisters, even with my first visit. So its hard for me to know when I should go to the dr. I haven't downloaded the book, but I guess I should. Thanks for the info.