World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
maryland

Has the valtrex or acyclovir supressant treatment worked for you?

maryland

I have been taking 400mg of acyclovir daily. My last dosage will be in December. My ex took only 1000mg of valtrex for 3 months and hasn't had one outbreak so far.

I was wondering if anyone hadn't had a problem after taking acyclovir or valtrex for a while.

cupcakes12

I am currently back on suppressive treatment with valtrex 500 mg once a day. I still break out but that's because I am stressed out. A member on here named Ace has been on suppressives for 20 something years and has only had 2 outbreaks. Hth!

Smiles9431

When I was taking Valtrex it seemed to help 500 mg daily didn't have an ob while taking them, but I have been with out them for 3 months now and have had 2 obs!

cms427

I take 800mg of acyclovir daily and up it to 800mg two or three times a day for like three days if I feel symptoms and have had 2 outbreaks this year that have only lasted for like 3 days and I haven't spread it to my spouse at this point.

lydia2

I take valacyclovir 500 mg once a day for suppression. I haven't passed it to my partner of 3 years, and hoping and I never do, but I still get ob's once a month or even more if I am really stressed out. However, I feel little symptoms about 3 to 4 times a week. I sometimes wonder is me taking medication making my virus even stronger. I tried to stay off the meds, but the guilt of passing it to my bf is too strong to handle, therefore I got right back on my meds. I can admit I am horrible at taking pills. I am about to take it right now before I forget. I also take vitamins on and off...more on lately since i am trying to get rid of so many frequent outbreaks. I need more sex back in my life!!!!! =]

Acesheart
I have been taking 400mg of acyclovir daily. My last dosage will be in December. My ex took only 1000mg of valtrex for 3 months and hasn't had one outbreak so far.

I was wondering if anyone hadn't had a problem after taking acyclovir or valtrex for a while.

Hey maryland, I have taken antivirals for the past 25 years, both acyclovir and valtrex, now its generic Valacyclovir. I have yearly blood functions test done when I get my girly check-ups, so far no liver or kidney or any other bad organ levels. I have always used antivirals. I'm married 22 years to a still non h man :) . He tested a few months ago. Make sure its right for you and talk with doctor too. I set these test up with every new doctor I see. They don't have a problem since my preventive check-ups cover these blood test. Hope this helps. Happy holidays. Truly, Ace :)

Acesheart
I take valacyclovir 500 mg once a day for suppression. I haven't passed it to my partner of 3 years, and hoping and I never do, but I still get ob's once a month or even more if I am really stressed out. However, I feel little symptoms about 3 to 4 times a week. I sometimes wonder is me taking medication making my virus even stronger. I tried to stay off the meds, but the guilt of passing it to my bf is too strong to handle, therefore I got right back on my meds. I can admit I am horrible at taking pills. I am about to take it right now before I forget. I also take vitamins on and off...more on lately since i am trying to get rid of so many frequent outbreaks. I need more sex back in my life!!!!! =]

Hey lydia, have you tryed liquid sublingual Vit.b12 complex, I get at walgreens, it goes under tongue and just works great for my prodrome symptoms. I too get tingles and flush feelings in the lower back, spine and tailbone area. This Vit has worked for me for 25 years now. Take care. Truly, Ace :)

lydia2

Hello aces, I still haven't gotten a chance to get it but I sure am :) I'm also trying the oil of oregano. It feels really good on my lower back and I've been putting on topically when I do have an ob. It burns, but it makes everything heal super fast. Happy holidays everyone!

Acesheart

Hey lydia also try bactine topically it has a numbing agent in it and it does numb that area :) . Also don't forget Epsom salts for the bath waters, so very soothing.

SaundersLaundry

I was also wondering about taking the meds every day and if it would totally prevent an OB. If so, I think I might try it even though I prefer to be all natural. I have only had GHSV1 for a few months but these sores keep popping up and I am getting very tired of it. I know a few people have had great success but wondering if anyone has been taking the suppressive meds and still gets frequent OBs?

Acesheart

I take Vit.b12 liquid sublingual, it helps reduce stresses, gives energy and promotes good nerve health. It's my key to keeping my prodromes , tingles and flushed feeling in the lower back spine area, from getting to me. I still get these even being on daily supressive therapies, but I don't get outbreaks. Two in 25 years is a great track record. If I had to take anything other than antivirals, it would be L-Lysine and Vit.b12 sublingual. That's as natural as you can get. Take care, Truly Ace :hithere:

Teacher

Ace- Before being on the antivirals, did you get frequent outbreaks? I notice that I still get OBs, even while on the Valtrex, so I stopped taking the Valtrex every day, worried about its effects on my kidneys.