Sign in to follow this  
guasonch

How to interpretate this test

guasonch

First sorry for my english , ill try to do my best. Here are my results:

Herpes Simpel I Ac.IgG: No reactivo

Herpes Simpel II Ac.IgG: No reactivo

AntiC.Anti herpes Simple I Y II (IgM) Resultado: Positividad 2.00

So i have negative Igg but positive igm but i dont know positive for what type of herpes. I didnt have notable symphtons of herpes, so the biochemical told me to do a specific IgM test to determinate what type i have, can you help me with these? beacuse im scared im infected with both types.

Im doing lots of STD tests because im obsesed and this one was the only disease which i havent been tested yet. I´ve had a risk situation in januanry cause a prostitute gave me oral sex, but can the Igg delay for 10 months to appear? Because they always say that if you have just igm positive its a recent infection, but 10 months (or more) is recent? i dont know what to think.

What does it means that of: Positive 2.00 for IgM ?? Its not specific right?

So the biochemical will make a IgM specific test, can i trust in this new test? Im really confused because im igg negative, thanksss

Ray0

Hi guasonch,

IGM is not that reliable test. But the in tge other hand, IGM is for recent infection. Rule of thumb wait at least 6 weeks to test IGG again..

Couple of questions:

Have you ever had symptoms on mouth (any cold sores), ulceras en la boca..??

Have you ever had any symptoms on genitals??

Have you had any recent exposure or sex??

IGM dont tell Type, but IGG or culture when an Outbreak is visible..

Other than that, if you do have it, you will be fine!!

Go to the chat, people can help you!!

God Bless

guasonch

Hola rayo, asumo que hablas español. La verdad no tuve sexo recientemente, tengo 18 años y lo único que tuve después fueron besos pero el último ya hace como 4 o 5 meses. Nunca síntomas específicos de herpes, si alguna mancha rosada en la axila y en las manos q nunca supe q era pero el dermatólogo no le dio demasiada atención, pero no sé tengio miedo. En la boca lo único q tuve fue un puntito blanco (muy muy chiquito) como un afta, adentro de la boca en las mejillas pero ni sé si llego a ser afta y se me fue en un día. MUCHOO MIEDO, gracias

Ray0

Como te dije, vete a tomarte los laboratorios pruebas para el IGG, de esta manera estar mas seguro..

Ya sabes lo que hablamos!!

Si es exactamente como me indicastes esto debe de ser falso positivo..

Pero independientemente, vas a estar bien!!

Aunque vayas a esperar 4-6 semanas para la prueba siempre se sincero con cualquier mujer si vas a tener relaciones!!

Aun No sabes si lo tienes realmente! Pero si es como dices, deberias esta bien

Tranquilo,vaya a estudiar, y vive la vida!! Eres joven; te queda muchisimo!!

Espero que te vaya bien; de necesitar cualquier cosa me deja saber

Mucha suerte!!

RealisticGal
First sorry for my english , ill try to do my best. Here are my results:

Herpes Simpel I Ac.IgG: No reactivo

Herpes Simpel II Ac.IgG: No reactivo

AntiC.Anti herpes Simple I Y II (IgM) Resultado: Positividad 2.00

So i have negative Igg but positive igm but i dont know positive for what type of herpes. I didnt have notable symphtons of herpes, so the biochemical told me to do a specific IgM test to determinate what type i have, can you help me with these? beacuse im scared im infected with both types.

Im doing lots of STD tests because im obsesed and this one was the only disease which i havent been tested yet. I´ve had a risk situation in januanry cause a prostitute gave me oral sex, but can the Igg delay for 10 months to appear? Because they always say that if you have just igm positive its a recent infection, but 10 months (or more) is recent? i dont know what to think.

What does it means that of: Positive 2.00 for IgM ?? Its not specific right?

So the biochemical will make a IgM specific test, can i trust in this new test? Im really confused because im igg negative, thanksss

Hi guasonch ---

I'd like to help. I'm not sure if I understand your concerns.

Okay, first off, your IgG test results were negative for both HSV-I and HSV-II.

Results for IgM seem to be positive at 2.00. The problem with that is, the experts all tell us that the IgM-based test kits should not even be used. They are unreliable because they are not specific to HSV. It is possible, apparently, for those test kits to react to other viruses such as the varicella zoster virus (cause of chickenpox and shingles).

Basically, most of those experts would tell you to ignore those results.

I see you did not have "notable symptoms of herpes." It seems that in your case, you got tested due to an episode of oral sex almost a year ago which has you worried. I'm assuming that your worry is heightened due to the fact that this oral sex was performed by a prostitute? Is that a fair assumption?

Well, let me comment on that. Roughly 8 out of 10 human adults in North America have oral herpes. This is not something that is more prevalent in sex workers. Most people get oral herpes when they are CHILDREN, through NON-SEXUAL contact (examples: kiss on the cheek from their adult relatives, sharing a saliva-covered toy with another child...). So the fact that you got oral sex from a prostitute, isn't really any more relevant or risky than if you had received oral from any other person on the planet.

The fact that you have not had symptoms in the intervening time is not all that pertinent. Many people do not have recognizable symptoms.

The fact that your IgG-based tests are negative for HSV after almost a year's time IS RELEVANT. Most people form detectable levels of IgG antibodies fairly quickly. Studies done at the University of Washington showed that the median time for that to happen is 21 days for HSV-II and 25 days for HSV-I. Some folks form those antibodies in as little as one week. Almost all (about 93%) have formed them by the time 6 weeks have passed. Most experts tell us that 4 months is about as long as it can possibly take (some say 6 months, to hedge their bets, I guess).

You mention that you are doing STD tests because you are "obsessed." I think you have identified the real issue here. It sounds like you are feeling guilt and worry because you had sexual contact with a sex worker.

Well, first of all, the type of contact you had was fairly low risk anyway.

Secondly, you've had no symptoms. So your worries all seem to be due to the nature of the contact (with a pro) as opposed to any real clues that could suggest you have picked up anything.

Add to that, the RELIABLE tests you have had are negative.

You say the "biochemical" (is that the laboratory?) will make a IgM specific test. There is no such test in existence. IgM tests are not type specific because IgM antibodies are not type specific. I do not know of any way that a lab could give you a "Igm specific test." Are you sure that is what you were told?

To conclude, it sounds to me as though you are almost certainly not infected with HSV.

Does this help? Do you have other specific questions?

:wavey:

guasonch

Hi RealisticGal, first i´d like to thank you for the complete answer you have given me. I´d like to put my igg values since i think the hsv-2 are higher than the hsv-1.

for hsv-1: RP: 0.02 NON REACTIVE

HSV-2: RP: <0.50 NON REACTIVE

I just called the lab and they told me the test they will do is just igm for type 1 and 2, so tomorrrow i´ll tell the biochemical to also do the igg one again.

As you say, i´ve read that igm tests are not so reliable and they are not recommended to make a diagnosis, also i didn´t have clear symptoms, only some red/pink spots on my skin in my armtrip and in my hand, but its rare for herpes.

You are right, i feel very guilty and i got thousands of analysis done. Right now im with psychiatrist, antidepressants and with a OCD.

I´ll ask A few more questions, hope not to bother you. Igg test could not have been a false negative? And it wont increase their values (special for hsv-2 that is higher)?

To conclude, the biochemical who is the man who does the analysis, he is one of the owners of the lab.

Thank you so much, very complete and nice answer. Bye :)

PD: I forgot one symptom. Two month ago or something like that i had a testicular pain so i went to the urologyst and he told me to make an ultrasound and he told me i have varicocele but now im completely normal with that pain. Bye.

RealisticGal
Hi RealisticGal, first i´d like to thank you for the complete answer you have given me. I´d like to put my igg values since i think the hsv-2 are higher than the hsv-1.

for hsv-1: RP: 0.02 NON REACTIVE

HSV-2: RP: <0.50 NON REACTIVE

These number values have no meaning to me, because I do not know what test kit was used. I suspect they might use a different brand of test kit there in Argentina from the ones we are used to here in the USA. Perhaps you can ask the name of the kit used.

Also, you might find a listing of "index values" or "reference ranges" somewhere on the printout. Do you see anything like that?

Typically, they would include 3 different ranges of values:

• negative
  • equivocal/inconclusive
  • positive

If you see anything like that, you can list those here for us.

What you need to understand is that these test kits have "built in" values. What that means is, you will almost never see a result that is absolute zero. So your 0.02 and 0.50 numbers do not mean you have HSV. They are probably well within that "negative" range I mentioned, and that is what they mean. Do not expect to see a 0.00 value on a test. They simply do not work that way.

I just called the lab and they told me the test they will do is just igm for type 1 and 2, so tomorrrow i´ll tell the biochemical to also do the igg one again.

I'm not sure what that means. I suspect they mean it will be a "combined" test for HSV 1 and 2. Everything I know about HSV testing technology tells me it will not be specific and will not be reliable.

How long ago were you tested using IgG-based technology?

As you say, i´ve read that igm tests are not so reliable and they are not recommended to make a diagnosis, also i didn´t have clear symptoms, only some red/pink spots on my skin in my armtrip and in my hand, but its rare for herpes.

Is that armpit? Like your underarm?

You are right, i feel very guilty and i got thousands of analysis done. Right now im with psychiatrist, antidepressants and with a OCD.

Good to hear you are working on that. It is clear you could use this type of assistance. Sometimes we just need a little help getting "unstuck."

I´ll ask A few more questions, hope not to bother you. Igg test could not have been a false negative? And it wont increase their values (special for hsv-2 that is higher)?

IgG-based tests can yield false negative results. The most common reason this happens is when a person is tested too soon after they acquire the virus. 10 months after last exposure would not be considered "too soon." :p

It is very likely you will get a different set of numeric values on the IgG tests when you take them again. If you got the exact same numbers, I would be extremely surprised. It would be quite a coincidence.

It does not matter if they are "higher" or "lower" than your previous results. What matters is which range the values fall into.

Please do NOT make the mistake that so many people here have made. They retest and retest and retest, getting different numbers each time. Then they try to interpret some sort of "pattern" with some sort of "meaning" out of those different values. :madd:

The only meaning we can get from the test results numbers is based on the ranges. They will be in one of those ranges --- either negative, or equivocal/inconclusive, or positive.

That is ALL the numbers mean. So if your values this time are (for example) 0.04 and 0.57, it does not mean your results are "rising." Likewise, if you got back numbers such as 0.01 and 0.33, it would not mean your results were "falling." It would just mean that they were within whatever range they are in.

Does that explanation make sense?

To conclude, the biochemical who is the man who does the analysis, he is one of the owners of the lab.

Thank you so much, very complete and nice answer. Bye :)

PD: I forgot one symptom. Two month ago or something like that i had a testicular pain so i went to the urologyst and he told me to make an ultrasound and he told me i have varicocele but now im completely normal with that pain. Bye.

Sounds like that symptom has already been fully explained --- as being caused by something other than HSV or STD.

Things can go wrong in our genital areas that have nothing to do with STDs.

guasonch

Thanks again :) and sorry if i make mistakes with language. Ok the numbers stuff its clear for me now. About the igm-specific test it sounds like yes, they are going to do an analysis of igm for type 1, and for type 2 separately. But i have to call tomorrow to confirm if they are doing also the igg specific one. They told me results are available on thursday and i requested the analysis on friday after seeing my igm results.

In case the man misunderstood me and just is going to make the igm specific one, and tomorrow i request also the igg specific, it will change my results date? I think they make herpes tests just one time a week, on thursday, so i suppose its the same if they didnt understand me on time.

Also i want to say that i wont draw blood again, because he told me that they can use the same sample, i think thats not a problem neither. Because i dont want to keep waiting and torturing my mind.

PD: I also thought that the igm result is not a false-positive and it could be from a cheek kiss or something like that, although i didnt give a mouth kiss since 4 months or more.

RealisticGal
Thanks again :) and sorry if i make mistakes with language.

No worries about language issues. We just work our way through them.

HSV outbreaks are not unheard of in the armpits. Not at all common, of course. Lesions there could easily be caused by something else.

Ok the numbers stuff its clear for me now. About the igm-specific test it sounds like yes, they are going to do an analysis of igm for type 1, and for type 2 separately.

This is surprising. Everything I have ever read states that IgM-based testing technology is not type-specific. Please let us know for sure afterward.

But i have to call tomorrow to confirm if they are doing also the igg specific one. They told me results are available on thursday and i requested the analysis on friday after seeing my igm results.

In case the man misunderstood me and just is going to make the igm specific one, and tomorrow i request also the igg specific, it will change my results date? I think they make herpes tests just one time a week, on thursday, so i suppose its the same if they didnt understand me on time.

Also i want to say that i wont draw blood again, because he told me that they can use the same sample, i think thats not a problem neither. Because i dont want to keep waiting and torturing my mind.

PD: I also thought that the igm result is not a false-positive and it could be from a cheek kiss or something like that, although i didnt give a mouth kiss since 4 months or more.

I do believe you are definitely letting this torture your mind.

I don't understand why you would even go through with another IgM based test.

The experts in this field say that they are not reliable. They warn us against allowing our doctors to order these tests, because they are nothing but confusing. I believe that is where you are stuck right now.

Here is my question for you: If your IgG tests come back negative, will you believe them?

Or will you continue to fret over the useless IgM information?

guasonch

Well today i called the lab and they told me better to do a blood drawn again so we can see if the igg changed in this short time, i told them that i was not infected recently but well, better if its more recent.

On thursday i hope to get the results so i´ll post them here.

Another thing, the last test i´ve done it wasnt from new blood. It was saved from an hepatitis analysis that i had done like 9 days before, but they told me that wasnt a problem because it was conservated. Now im thinking that the other blood wasnt in the best conditions, Ok so i hope to know whats going on tomorrow. Thankss