World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
ATR

If both have genital herpes, can one outbreak cause another after sex?

ATR

Say you both have genital herpes and partner A has an outbreak and partner B doesn't. Can partner A cause partner B to have an outbreak after this happens ignoring all other factors?

WarriorKing

No. If you both have genital herpes, it's your own life and ecosystem that determines breakouts.

ATR

Yeah I've read this before, it's interesting that once you have it you're basically immune to the other person's version of it. It seems counter-intuitive that it actually wouldn't work that way, but I guess it's because it's an illness related to the nervous system and not actually a skin disease. Or maybe it's something else. What is it exactly that prevents another person causing you to have outbreaks, and can you provide links to some information about it?

EDIT--This is assuming it's the same strain, for example both have HSV-2 and neither has HSV-1.

WarriorKing

My understanding is that your anti bodies that were created from the first infection, fight off the invader that it now knows how to fight.

Acesheart
Say you both have genital herpes and partner A has an outbreak and partner B doesn't. Can partner A cause partner B to have an outbreak after this happens ignoring all other factors?

Hey ATR, if you both have genital herps and you have an outbreak and he dont you two can still have sexy times. His ob wont necessarily cause you to ob as well. Now it may be the frictions from sexy times that cause you or he to breakout, it can also be painfull to have sexy times during an outbreak , and you can still get it orally if the one with with an outbreak receives oral sex. But if you both have herps genitally, you should be good :) . There is no problems of guilt for giving it to the other one as you both have it ;) .