World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
kellly

Experience with Famciclovir and Cold Sores?

kellly

Hey guys,

I got a cold sore about two weeks ago and I decided to follow this blog http://cureacoldsore.blogspot.ca/ to get rid of it quickly. HUGE MISTAKE! It destroyed the skin on my lip and it's taking its sweet time to heal. Last week, it was so ugly, like an open gash that wouldn't stop bleeding and it was very difficult to cover up. Needless to say, DON'T douse your cold sore with isopropyl alcohol for 45 minutes straight. Should have probably thought that one through before taking any action, but I was desperate.

Anywhos, I was reading up on people's success with aciclovir and their cold sore outbreaks so me being fed up, I finally went to the doctor's to get me some of these magic pills. I've been to the doc's before about my cold sores but they were kind of reluctant to give me the pills and prescribed Zovirax ointment which became ineffective after a while for some reason. It was too bad because it worked so well for me in the beginning.

So, I go to the doctors and I'm all like "I've tried everything except pills" and then he was all like "Here's a prescription for Zovirax ointment" and I was like "I'VE TRIED EVERYTHING EXCEPT PILLS" so he prescribed me Famciclovir and I was a little sad that it wasn't aciclovir (because that was the drug I did all my research on) but he said it was the same thing but cheaper (I'm not covered by insurance). So I go home and read up on Famciclovir and was pleasantly surprised that it got fantastic reviews and worked for many people.

So I have the dose on hand (three 500mg tablets = 1500mg full dose in one shot) and this morning, BOOM! I wake up with two starting-to-form cold sores. So I run to get my Famciclovir, take it with a bit of food and lots of water, and head off to work. It's now the evening here for me (8:25pm) and they both still feel hot, but they haven't bloomed.

Cold sore 1 - I already woke up with two or three little tiny blisters, and they have not gotten worse or swollen. There are no tingling sensations, and there weren't any when I woke up either.

Cold sore 2 - It was only red and very hot when I woke up, not swollen. And it's still just red, hot and not swollen. I also still feel the tingling sensation

So it's kind of like Famciclovir pressed pause on my cold sores. I AM pretty happy that they didn't get worse during the work day, but are they supposed to just stay the same? I'm scared that I'll go to sleep tonight and wake up with Mount Everest and the Himalayas on my lips. Will Famciclovir come through and actually stop these mofos from forming?

Does anyone have any insight or experiences with Famciclovir and col sores to share?

Thanks in advance! :D

Emmamae

I have seen a friend's cold sore shrink and disappear with that dosage of famvir but it was not a big one. Mine have responded well to valacyclovir. I have gone from entire lip burning and tingling to no outbreak this month (I have been taking a 1000mg of valacyclovir per day for the past five months. My condition improved gradually).

Hopefully you will be just as lucky.

kellly

Hi Emmamae, thanks so much for your reply

Glad to hear how well those anti-virals work for you and your friend. I hope I'm just as lucky too. Thanks again :)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• The Hive is Thriving!

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • viralfrog
      I think you're right about 'having a good flow', i.e. splitting the dosage throughout the day to make most use of it. You're also right about potential strain on your body for overdoses, however there is conflicting information about this based on studies I've read. There are several of studies indicating benefits of high doses of vitamin C for fighting viral diseases. I've done quite a bit of research on this as in the past I used to suffer from common colds, often over one week in duration and up to 6 times a year. With Zinc and Vitamin C I've managed to reduce these to once a year, and their duration to under 6 days. Some of the studies used IV administration of Vitamin C, which is of course different to taking it orally, but some of them had success with high oral doses as well:  Dr. Harri Hemilä from the University of Helsinki, Finland, analyzed the findings of two randomized trials each of which investigated the effects of two vitamin C doses on the duration of the common cold. The first trial administered 3 g/day vitamin C to two study groups, 6 g/day to a third group, and the fourth group was administered a placebo. Compared with the placebo group the 6 g/day dose shortened colds by 17%, twice as much as the 3 g/day doses did. The second trial administered 4 g/day and 8 g/day vitamin C, and placebo to different groups, but only on the first day of the cold. Compared with the placebo group, the 8 g/day dose shortened colds by 19%, twice as much as the 4 g/day dose did. https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/9/4/339/htm High dose IV Vitamin C has been shown to be effective against viral infections such as the common cold rhinovirus (Hemila and Herman,1995); avian virus H1N1 (Ely,2007;) Chikungunya (Gonzalez et al. 2014; Marcial-Vega et al,2015); Zika (Gonzalez et al 2016) and influenza (Zarubaeva et al.2017). Also oral supplementation with vitamin C (doses over 3g) appears to be able to both prevent and treat respiratory and systemic infections (Carr and Maggini, 2017). https://isom.ca/article/high-dose-vitamin-c-influenza-case-report/ We had a case in which a patient with herpes zoster did not respond to conventional therapy so we attempted to administer intravenous infusion of vitamin C which resulted in an immediate reduction in the pain. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3111558/
    • WilsoInAus
      Hey @Antoinette63 you do absolutely nothing. If infected with HSV-2, then the initial outbreak would have occurred within days of the infections. Symptoms after 4 months are not really likely to have been from that episode.  If she does have a recent infection of herpes, then it will be from her new boyfriend!
    • WilsoInAus
      Hang on @viralfrog let’s be rational here. The male body can only usefully metabolise 100mg of vitamin C a day. Any excess does not have any known impact on the body as it doesn’t actually get to where you might be thinking it goes. It goes out via your kidneys, potentially causing toxic effects. The real trick with vitamin C is making sure there is a good flow moving through your intestines such that your body can metabolise the full 100mg easily. To achieve this, you are much better off taking a tablet of about 250mg with each meal. Anything more than 2g a day of vitamin C is not only useless but commences a strain process on your body that may include outcomes including kidney stones. 
    • WilsoInAus
      Hang on, no one is talking about testing again for herpes. We are suggesting an analysis of the serum in the blisters that will give clues as to the cause.
    • viralfrog
      Currently I'm taking my Ascorbic acid at two doses throughout the day, 6g at lunch and 6g at dinner. It's already a hassle as I have to dilute it in water, rinse my mouth with coconut oil and then I take a shot of it from a shot glass and rinse my mouth quickly with water after. Even with the coconut oil, I'm worried for my teeth.  I was going to order a capsule filler machine and some gelatin capsules, but realised it will cost me almost the same than just ordering 1g vitamin tablets from iHerb. Also, this means I still have to be eating 12 capsules per day which is not ideal. I wonder if I could figure out some DIY method to be able to squeeze 3-5g of the Ascorbic acid into some coating to be able to swallow it without risking my teeth.  I had a look at liposomal C too, but what put me off was the quick expiration date if making it yourself. Unless I'm wrong, you have to do a new batch like twice a week. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.