World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
kellly

Experience with Famciclovir and Cold Sores?

kellly

Hey guys,

I got a cold sore about two weeks ago and I decided to follow this blog http://cureacoldsore.blogspot.ca/ to get rid of it quickly. HUGE MISTAKE! It destroyed the skin on my lip and it's taking its sweet time to heal. Last week, it was so ugly, like an open gash that wouldn't stop bleeding and it was very difficult to cover up. Needless to say, DON'T douse your cold sore with isopropyl alcohol for 45 minutes straight. Should have probably thought that one through before taking any action, but I was desperate.

Anywhos, I was reading up on people's success with aciclovir and their cold sore outbreaks so me being fed up, I finally went to the doctor's to get me some of these magic pills. I've been to the doc's before about my cold sores but they were kind of reluctant to give me the pills and prescribed Zovirax ointment which became ineffective after a while for some reason. It was too bad because it worked so well for me in the beginning.

So, I go to the doctors and I'm all like "I've tried everything except pills" and then he was all like "Here's a prescription for Zovirax ointment" and I was like "I'VE TRIED EVERYTHING EXCEPT PILLS" so he prescribed me Famciclovir and I was a little sad that it wasn't aciclovir (because that was the drug I did all my research on) but he said it was the same thing but cheaper (I'm not covered by insurance). So I go home and read up on Famciclovir and was pleasantly surprised that it got fantastic reviews and worked for many people.

So I have the dose on hand (three 500mg tablets = 1500mg full dose in one shot) and this morning, BOOM! I wake up with two starting-to-form cold sores. So I run to get my Famciclovir, take it with a bit of food and lots of water, and head off to work. It's now the evening here for me (8:25pm) and they both still feel hot, but they haven't bloomed.

Cold sore 1 - I already woke up with two or three little tiny blisters, and they have not gotten worse or swollen. There are no tingling sensations, and there weren't any when I woke up either.

Cold sore 2 - It was only red and very hot when I woke up, not swollen. And it's still just red, hot and not swollen. I also still feel the tingling sensation

So it's kind of like Famciclovir pressed pause on my cold sores. I AM pretty happy that they didn't get worse during the work day, but are they supposed to just stay the same? I'm scared that I'll go to sleep tonight and wake up with Mount Everest and the Himalayas on my lips. Will Famciclovir come through and actually stop these mofos from forming?

Does anyone have any insight or experiences with Famciclovir and col sores to share?

Thanks in advance! :D

Emmamae

I have seen a friend's cold sore shrink and disappear with that dosage of famvir but it was not a big one. Mine have responded well to valacyclovir. I have gone from entire lip burning and tingling to no outbreak this month (I have been taking a 1000mg of valacyclovir per day for the past five months. My condition improved gradually).

Hopefully you will be just as lucky.

kellly

Hi Emmamae, thanks so much for your reply

Glad to hear how well those anti-virals work for you and your friend. I hope I'm just as lucky too. Thanks again :)