World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
dirtxrider450

Very frequent out breaks.. Tried everything possible!

dirtxrider450

Hello I am new to this forum and would like to discuss how my experience dealing with herpes has been so far. I started dating this girl about 4 years ago now and until then i never even heard of the word cold sore. A few months into the relationship I started having strange itch and bubbly clusters appear near the edge of my mouth. At first I wasn't sure what to make of this strange new occurrence and went to my doctor who visually diagnosed them as herpes. My doctor stressed the importance of how contagious they are and the do's and don'ts. After my visit I was getting an outbreak once every 2-3 months or so. The outbreaks were quite embarrassing and severe, most out breaks were about the size of a penny and contained many puss filled bubbles that would scab over in a few days and take a little over a week to clear up. I made an appointed back with my doctor who suggested because of the frequency I take famciclovir 500mg twice daily as a suppressive therapy for 6 months. I also did a lot of research on my own and found a lot of info on l-lysine and started taking about 2 grams daily on top of the famciclovir. The only benefit i noticed from this was now my outbreaks consisted of one raised bump now instead of huge clusters but the frequency was still about once a month or two. Once my suppressive therapy was over I went back to see my doctor who seemed puzzled on the frequency of my out breaks still and said he recommended I see a dermatologist. After a month of trying to get in I went to go see a dermatologist who couldn't perform a culture on the sores since i didnt have a outbreak at the time and gave me a prescription of valacyclovir hcl 500mg twice daily for a year. Again I seen an improvement on severity of the outbreaks but was now getting sores sometimes 2 or 3 times a month. Being that the sores were almost un noticeable I decided to ride out my perceptional until I was out. About a month ago I ended my year of suppressive therapy and had a follow up with my dermatologist who said no more suppressive therapy and gave me a prescription for 1000mg valacyclovir hcl to take 4 times daily during out breaks only. When I feel an outbreak I immediately take the generic valtrex as prescribed which has no effect on the sores what so ever. Its been a month now and i've almost used all the pills up and am still getting outbreaks what seems to be weekly and the worst part is now I'm starting to get the same like sores on my genitals and along the rim of my eyelids which are accompanied by itchy red eyes. The sore on my eyelids appear what seems to be weekly and resemble small clear bubbles and the ones on my genitals are just one bump that clears up about a weeks and resembles an ingrown hair that gets really red, itches, then scabs for about a week. Its to the point It seems like herpes is ruining my life I watch everything I eat,get plenty of rest, take immune boosting supplements such as firsh oil, garlic pills, probiotics and even multi vitamins, I even take l-lysine and have been on a year and a half of suppressive therapy to no avail. I feel like this virus is ruining my life more and more everyday and lost hope in controlling it or having a relationship with anyone ever again.

Emmamae

It seems to me that you were better on suppressive, so ask your doctor if you can continue. Also, there is a thread on the benefits of vitamin b12 (1000-2000mg) taken sublingually for preventing cold sores. I believe that lysine needs to be taken with vitamin b6 in order to be more effective. I have been getting monthly cold sores from june of this year and am on 1000mg valacyclovir suppression. My improvement has been gradual from entire lip burning and tingling from multiple blister outbreak to one or two very tiny blisters to no outbreak last month. I really feel you should continue with either famciclovir or valacyclovir suppression and eventually your condition will improve.

dirtxrider450

I do take multi vitamins and have tried taking b complex and c. L-lysine hasnt appeared to help me any at all and it seems like the suppressive only helped the outbreaks not be big clusters. I figured I needed more suppressive therapy after taking the generic valterx 1000mg 4 times daily during out breaks to see no effect on them. My dermatologist gave me two refills of 28 capsules and Im on my second vial now and its only been a month. I decided to cut the 1000mg in half and take one half in the am and one at night which was equivalent to the dose of suppressive therapy with generic valtrex I just came off. Recently I just started taking pro biotics garlic pills and omega 3 fish oil about 3 days ago with the one a day mens multi vitamin ive been taking to see if it will boost my immune system. I was told frequent outbreaks are due to a compromised immune system if your getting rest and watching what you eat so I believe my immune system is the culprit. My doctor tested me for aids and any deficiencies last year and everything was fine. I dint mind getting the cold sores as much as I do below the waist which I just got about 2 months ago and have already had about 4 out breaks.The outbreaks consist of a hard itchy lump that kinda resembles a cyst that scabs over a few days after. Same symptoms as the ones on my lips.

Acesheart
I do take multi vitamins and have tried taking b complex and c. L-lysine hasnt appeared to help me any at all and it seems like the suppressive only helped the outbreaks not be big clusters. I figured I needed more suppressive therapy after taking the generic valterx 1000mg 4 times daily during out breaks to see no effect on them. My dermatologist gave me two refills of 28 capsules and Im on my second vial now and its only been a month. I decided to cut the 1000mg in half and take one half in the am and one at night which was equivalent to the dose of suppressive therapy with generic valtrex I just came off. Recently I just started taking pro biotics garlic pills and omega 3 fish oil about 3 days ago with the one a day mens multi vitamin ive been taking to see if it will boost my immune system. I was told frequent outbreaks are due to a compromised immune system if your getting rest and watching what you eat so I believe my immune system is the culprit. My doctor tested me for aids and any deficiencies last year and everything was fine. I dint mind getting the cold sores as much as I do below the waist which I just got about 2 months ago and have already had about 4 out breaks.The outbreaks consist of a hard itchy lump that kinda resembles a cyst that scabs over a few days after. Same symptoms as the ones on my lips.

Hey dirtxrider, I'm ghsv2 for 24 years. I know that Epsom salts in the bath waters helps down south. I hear that toothpaste works for cold sores. I want to say welcome and I'm happy you found us. There are many here with tips and tricks for keeping the h undercontrol. I have taken supressive therapy for 24 years, first 16 years acyclovir, last 8 years Valtrex, now its generic Valtrex called Valacyclovir. Generics weren't invented back then. I take 500mg a day, when I'm stressed ir feeling the symptoms, I double up. This is my original dosage, but I don't get outbreaks after having h for 24 years. Well, I did just have a second outbreak about a year ago :) . Take care, Ace :hithere:

Acesheart
It seems to me that you were better on suppressive, so ask your doctor if you can continue. Also, there is a thread on the benefits of vitamin b12 (1000-2000mg) taken sublingually for preventing cold sores. I believe that lysine needs to be taken with vitamin b6 in order to be more effective. I have been getting monthly cold sores from june of this year and am on 1000mg valacyclovir suppression. My improvement has been gradual from entire lip burning and tingling from multiple blister outbreak to one or two very tiny blisters to no outbreak last month. I really feel you should continue with either famciclovir or valacyclovir suppression and eventually your condition will improve.

Hey Emma, I agree :) , my sublingual Vit.b12 and once a day antivirals, have kept me with only two outbreaks ever. :yowie: it really works for me, I'm ghsv2 for 24 yrs. Ace :)

non stop guy

you might want to get the sores below the waist swabbed.the mouth you can just figure thats hsv.but on your buisness thats another story

RealisticGal

If there is a chance you have ocular (eye) HSV, you need to be seen by an ophthalmologist immediately! Do not delay!

This can cause serious issues with your sight, if that is what is really happening.

As to the rest of your story, you mentioned that you were "diagnosed" visually. Did the doctor never do any actual laboratory tests?

:wavey:

JustKeepSwimming3

Hey there! I also have very frequent outbreaks. My doctor and everything I have read online says that most often outbreaks occur about 4 times a year for people...I get mine on average about twice a month! I was taking 500mg valacyclovir twice a day during outbreaks only until I finally told my doctor how frequent my outbreaks were becoming. She has recommended I take the 500mg valacyclovir once a day for 6 months and work on building up my immune system by taking a lot of vitmamin C, multi vitamins, exercising regularly, and eating healthy foods. She is going to see me again after the 6 months and see what the verdict is and whether or not I can go back to only taking the meds when an outbreak occurs. I have been following her advice for a little over a month now and have not had an outbreak. Perhaps the constant switching of your medication and dosage is throwing your body for a loop? Ask your doctor about that. Also, I agree with RealisticGal..have you actually had any cultures done or was it a simple visual diagnosis? You should most certainly get cultures done in each place you are getting your outbreaks. Be careful when you are having an outbreak also because you are contagious to yourself. If you touch a sore and then touch another area of your body, you could be spreading the sores to that area. Be mindful of using a lot of antibacterial soap to wash your hands during outbreaks. Hope that helps!