World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
ubergoober

unusually VERY long outbreak. Please read and advise

ubergoober

This is my first post here so please forgive me because its going to be a very long and detailed one.

I had my first HSV2 outbreak back in February 2010 and was diagnosed by my doctor at the same time. The outbreak only lasted about 14 days and there was almost no pain or sensation associated with it. If it hadn’t been for the one or two very small sores on my penis, I would have never even noticed it.

Since between February 2010 and July 2012 I had maybe one or two more outbreaks and they were very minor; almost no pain or sensation and maybe one or two sores on my penis and they were gone within a week or two. At no point was I ever on medication to treat the outbreaks, they just went away on their own.

In August of 2012 I noticed a painless rash starting to develop in the very moist area between my scrotum and my inner thigh. It did not look like a herpes outbreak or at least not like I had ever contracted before. It was red and blotchy without any of the typical fluid filled blisters. It looked more like chafing to me then anything. I went to an “urgent care” facility and they diagnosed it as a fungal infection and gave me nystatin cream to treat it. After about a week, it went away.

In early September it came back again. This time it had some burning associated with it. I went to the doctor and they prescribed a topical antibiotic ointment and more nystatin. This seemed to help a little bit but it again came back.

I went to the doctor (the same one that diagnosed me with herpes in February of 2010) AGAIN in November and he diagnosed the rash as most likely being a herpes outbreak. He prescribed a course of Acyclovir. I took it as prescribed and it seemed to help the rash for a while then it came back. He then prescribed 125mg of Famciclovir twice a day. This worked for a while then quit so he upped it to 250mg twice a day which also stopped having much of an effect.

It is now December 7th and my doctor has upped the dose of Famciclovir to 500mg twice a day (1000mg daily) to try and beat this outbreak if that’s even what it is. I have also started taking 1000mg of Lysine daily.

Since November I have had a complete STD panel done to rule out any other STD infections. Everything has come back consistently negative.

So now my question; has ANYBODY ever had an outbreak last for 3 months?!?!?

Does anybody now of another condition that would come on like this?

At this point I am not convinced that this is actually herpes. I know I am infected with the HSV2 virus but I’m really starting to doubt that this instance is actually herpes related since I have never had an outbreak last this long, with this much pain, and in the particular area it is affecting. Also I want to point out that the rash is only affecting the area between my scrotum and my thigh, there is NOTHING on my penis which is where I have had the previous outbreaks. The only additional symptom is a tingling sensation on my pubis or right at the base of my penis.

Anybody with advice would be much appreciated.

Acesheart
This is my first post here so please forgive me because its going to be a very long and detailed one.

I had my first HSV2 outbreak back in February 2010 and was diagnosed by my doctor at the same time. The outbreak only lasted about 14 days and there was almost no pain or sensation associated with it. If it hadn’t been for the one or two very small sores on my penis, I would have never even noticed it.

Since between February 2010 and July 2012 I had maybe one or two more outbreaks and they were very minor; almost no pain or sensation and maybe one or two sores on my penis and they were gone within a week or two. At no point was I ever on medication to treat the outbreaks, they just went away on their own.

In August of 2012 I noticed a painless rash starting to develop in the very moist area between my scrotum and my inner thigh. It did not look like a herpes outbreak or at least not like I had ever contracted before. It was red and blotchy without any of the typical fluid filled blisters. It looked more like chafing to me then anything. I went to an “urgent care” facility and they diagnosed it as a fungal infection and gave me nystatin cream to treat it. After about a week, it went away.

In early September it came back again. This time it had some burning associated with it. I went to the doctor and they prescribed a topical antibiotic ointment and more nystatin. This seemed to help a little bit but it again came back.

I went to the doctor (the same one that diagnosed me with herpes in February of 2010) AGAIN in November and he diagnosed the rash as most likely being a herpes outbreak. He prescribed a course of Acyclovir. I took it as prescribed and it seemed to help the rash for a while then it came back. He then prescribed 125mg of Famciclovir twice a day. This worked for a while then quit so he upped it to 250mg twice a day which also stopped having much of an effect.

It is now December 7th and my doctor has upped the dose of Famciclovir to 500mg twice a day (1000mg daily) to try and beat this outbreak if that’s even what it is. I have also started taking 1000mg of Lysine daily.

Since November I have had a complete STD panel done to rule out any other STD infections. Everything has come back consistently negative.

So now my question; has ANYBODY ever had an outbreak last for 3 months?!?!?

Does anybody now of another condition that would come on like this?

At this point I am not convinced that this is actually herpes. I know I am infected with the HSV2 virus but I’m really starting to doubt that this instance is actually herpes related since I have never had an outbreak last this long, with this much pain, and in the particular area it is affecting. Also I want to point out that the rash is only affecting the area between my scrotum and my thigh, there is NOTHING on my penis which is where I have had the previous outbreaks. The only additional symptom is a tingling sensation on my pubis or right at the base of my penis.

Anybody with advice would be much appreciated.

Hey ubergoober, welcome :wavey: to our site. May I ask how you were tested? Did they test for any other STD's at this same time by blood or swab/culture? I ask beacuse NOT ALL STANDARD TEST , test for herps..I didn't know that either. ;) I have had ghsv2 for 24 years and I know for facts it can last long time. My initial lasted 4 months long and had also popped up in my anus (never had anus sex) , its just that herps can breakout any where in that boxer shorts area. I am sorry you are having this problems. Yes, I have heard of some users here that wound up having fungal and bacterial infections in the private regions, they were never tested for YEAST and HPV, so it turned out that was causes to their problems. Some dr's just do a visual and test for certain things, not really thinking about man having Hpv or yeast . Good Luck honey, I truly feel your pain. Try Epsom salts in the bath, it will help with that itchy or discomfort feelings down there. Take Care, Truly, Ace :)

ubergoober

I was tested by a blood test for HSV 1 and 2. My doc also tested me for all the other standard STDs like HIV, chlamydia, and so on. All were negative except for HSV2.

This is not my first outbreak. I've had 2 or 3 prior to this over the past 2 years so I don't understand why all of a sudden I am having one that lasts MUCH longer then any of the previous outbreaks and in an area of skin where I NEVER had an outbreak before. I was always told that the outbreaks are supposed to get shorter in duration as time goes by so whats the deal here? I also dont understand how the sight of the outbreak could have "jumped" from one area (my penis) to another (the area between my scrotum and inner thigh). Wouldn't it make sense that if this were an outbreak that I would be experiencing sores on my penis as well?

Any thoughts on this?

What other tests should I ask me doc to perform in order to make sure this is not as result of some other infection?

Just as a reminder; I have already tried a course of antibiotics (both pill form and topical) and nystatin cream which I think is antifungal.

Someone please HELP!!