World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
hellonearth

H vs. HIV same boat different passenger (tragic)

hellonearth

I read a comment earlier where someone said, “At least you don’t have HIV”…well am I the only person who feels like H is almost just like having HIV? I know they are in two totally different arenas but telling a person you have H will probably get the same reaction as telling someone you have HIV. Both are forever as research assures us, so both are pretty much a death sentence!!!!:sadfacetoday: I just don’t want this, I remember the days when my only worry was nothing, now it’s H!!! I’m trying to get over this but every second of my day I feel cursed!!! :mad::sadfacetoday::(:madd: How do you guys do it and live like this? I need help:confused:

luckyCat

If you want to really see how HIV is truly different try to watch Silverlake Life: The View From Here. It originally aired on PBS and documents the life of two men who were in a relationship and contracted HIV. They basically make a pact that the stronger one will take care of the weaker one (and document the experience) until they die. Guaranteed you will appreciate life so much more after watching.

LamTron86

HSV is not a big deal. HIV causes major health issues unlike HSV. You will be ok. This is a super common virus. I have learned to fins a deep trust in a person before being them sexually. I have had a boyfriend for over a year now. He has it too. For us it isnt even an issue. he gets outbreaks and i don't. If he feels one we dont have sex. Don't let people's ignorance on herpes bring you down. I asked my gyno the last time i was there, "do you see a lot of people with herpes?" And she said "a lot, yes." So you are far from alone. Look how many members ar eon this site alone. You will be ok.

victor

Considering HSV-1 is carried by 60-80% of the U.S. population and HSV-2 is carried by a little less than 20% of the population, HSV is widespread. There are more cases of HSV-2 than other STD cases combined; I think it's 40 million who have HSV-2. Since probably at the lowest, 75% of people carry HSV-1 or HSV-2, I don't think it's a death sentence at all. HSV doesn't pose really any health risks other than the .01% chance of a mother passing HSV onto infant (can be completely avoided if mother is infected prior to pregnancy through C-Section). Although medications and treatment for HIV are becoming better, a lot of people still feel like sh!t physically. Sure, with HIV you can most likely live a long life, but there is no guarantee that HIV will not turn into AIDs, which will kill a person. The fear with HIV is death whereas the fear with herpes is acceptance.

osten

You're not in the same boat as somebody with HIV. You're not even in the same ocean. People with HIV have to take a regimen of expensive medication every day just to stay alive. You have cold-sores.

That you can call a relatively harmless virus that will most likely never cause you any serious health issues, never mind kill you, a "death sentence" shows that you either don't understand what you have very well, or need to step back, breath and get some perspective.

There was a similar thread where I posted a little bit more on this topic, here:

http://www.herpes-coldsores.com/messageforum/showthread.php?51781-Man-kills-woman-after-she-tells-him-she-has-hiv-AFTER-they-have-sex