World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
SaundersLaundry

Questions about ghsv1 and sex

SaundersLaundry

Hi friends -

Couple quick questions if anyone can help out... I am a girl and was diagnosed about 2-3 months ago, first OB was awful. Second one was just one paper cut like tear that slightly coincided with my period (and some dry humping but no penetration) and third happened after sex for the 1st time since my diagnosis (and also slightly coincided with my period)....

Sooo I'm trying to figure out if I should expect an OB with any type of sexual contact down there from now on?

Also, my male partner is the one that gave me Ghsv1 (through genital contact, which proves it CAN happen) I'm worried about putting his member anywhere near my face during sex as I don't want this to spread to oral hsv1, especially after we already had intercourse and are continuing. Is this smart?? He also has no problem going down on me even though he obviously knows about the hsv1 - is that safe for him and for me if we kiss?

They say your body provides protection from it spreading but I also had it spread to my finger during the first OB so I'm not 100% convinced I am safe.

Any thoughts would help!!

Cindy2408

Hey!

I've been living with it for about 5 years now. I, like yourself, have experienced redness and also itching which are the symtoms of OB after intimate interactions. It still occurs to me. I suggest you talk to your doctor about it, Valtrex daily could be a good option considering you're almost always uncomfortable. I'm actually going to try the Valtrex daily in a few weeks to see if it makes a difference. Also, to help your OB heal faster you can try taking Lysine, bioflavs and vitamin C supplements. It'll also help your immune system to get stronger and therefore reduce the OB's.

As for both you and your partner being positive hsv-1, if you use a condom when you preform oral sex and don't do so when he has an OB the chances of you getting it on your lips is very low. Furthermore, it's generally very unlikely for the spreading to occur, however, considering you got it on your finger I suggest you just avoid any skin to skin sexual contact during OB's and always use protection and a precaution. It's better safe than sorry.

I hope this helped you! If you have any additional questions don't hesitate to ask :) This site is filled with well informed people

RealisticGal
Hi friends -

Couple quick questions if anyone can help out... I am a girl and was diagnosed about 2-3 months ago, first OB was awful. Second one was just one paper cut like tear that slightly coincided with my period (and some dry humping but no penetration) and third happened after sex for the 1st time since my diagnosis (and also slightly coincided with my period)....

Sooo I'm trying to figure out if I should expect an OB with any type of sexual contact down there from now on?

Also, my male partner is the one that gave me Ghsv1 (through genital contact, which proves it CAN happen) I'm worried about putting his member anywhere near my face during sex as I don't want this to spread to oral hsv1, especially after we already had intercourse and are continuing. Is this smart?? He also has no problem going down on me even though he obviously knows about the hsv1 - is that safe for him and for me if we kiss?

They say your body provides protection from it spreading but I also had it spread to my finger during the first OB so I'm not 100% convinced I am safe.

Any thoughts would help!!

Hi SaundersLaundry ---

So are you saying you had never received oral sex from this guy, or even from anyone else, prior to getting genital HSV-I?

:wavey:

victor

Outbreaks have more to do with genetics than anything, so your OBs are unlikely to be coming from having sex. Since you've only had this a couple of months, your body is still adjusting to the virus, and it's common to have OBs close together right now, and it's possibly linked to your primary. About 50% of those with genital HSV-1 don't get another OB, and those that do get 1-2 over a few years (only a few get recurring OBs like HSV-2).

Since you didn't have an oral HSV-1 infection or any antibodies prior to this, your boyfriends genital HSV-1 infection is what transmitted it to you. Was his genital HSV-1 infection cultured or swabbed because that's the only way to know the location of it. If he tested positive for HSV-1 through blood, he most likely has it orally if he's not had any genital symptoms. 60-80% of the population carry HSV-1, and if he only tested positive by blood then it's likely you got it through his asymptomatic oral infection from oral sex. In 90% of new genital HSV-1 cases, oral sex is the cause while only 10% are a result of genital-to-genital sex. Your body has been building antibodies since the second you acquired HSV-1, but since you had no previous HSV-1 infection, you had no antibodies, which made it possible for it to spread, although it's quite rare. The fact that it spread to your finger is rare to begin with, and spreading in almost all, if not all cases occurs only during the primary OB. Your antibodies are now developed (typically it takes a few weeks), and you won't spread this to your mouth or his mouth. If you think about this rationally, many babies/children get cold sores and they always touch everything including their privates probably after touching their cold sores. If it was able to spread then we'd see a bunch of babies walking around with genital HSV-1, but thankfully we don't lol. Here's a couple of links from top Herpes Expert Terri Warren about this.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Herpes/Spreading-Cold-Sores-or-HSV1/show/1822568

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Herpes/Genital-HSV-1/show/1843133

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Herpes/Oral-Sex-exposure/show/1837909 (last paragraph)