World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
jodylynne

Panicking here in PA

jodylynne

I am being tested for genital herpes after a recent outbreak. I m negative for hsv2 antibodies. I am positive for hsv1 antibodies. I have a history of oral hsv1 lesions since I was young. I'm almost certain that I have genital hsv1. I can deal with that. I am freaking because I am paranoid about spreading this crap. I care for my 3 year old granddaughter and I am afraid I will transmit the virus to her. I've been crying for 3 days. I wash my hands but I cannot seem to get the worry out of my head. Also, I have this area on my thumb that i thought was a callous or a wart starting. Herpes whitlow??? scared that I've touched her with an infected thumb. HELP!!!!

victor

This is probably something completely unrelated to HSV-1. Once you have a longstanding HSV-1 infection (as you do), it is extremely, extremely unlikely to get it in another location of the body since the antibodies you have prevent it from spreading. Since you've had oral HSV-1 since you were a child, I'm sure there were plenty of opportunities for you to spread it to yourself then, but you didn't. No reason to really think this is HSV-1.

How long ago was your last sexual encounter? If you've had sex recently (within the past three months), and have only been tested via blood, this could still be HSV-2. Antibodies take 6-7 weeks for most to become detectable through blood, while it is almost 100% accurate at the three month mark. Therefore, taking a blood test only after an outbreak (this sounds like a primary outbreak if it is herpes) is not going to be able to give you a definitive answer until three months after your last sexual encounter. In short, this could be a new infection of a different type of herpes (HSV-2), and the only way to know soon would be to get your outbreaks cultured within 48 hours of their appearance. If it is herpes, this sounds like a new infection (HSV-2) especially since you were able to transmit it to your thumb in the form of herpetic whitlow, which rarely occurs, but when it does occur, it occurs during the primary outbreak of a new infection of herpes because the body doesn't have any antibodies to prevent it from spreading. Autoinoculation is rare to begin with, so if you really did spread this to another part of your body, it is highly unlikely you'll be able to spread this to your granddaughter.

On the other hand, this could be something completely unrelated to herpes such as a bacterial infection.

jodylynne

I understand what you are saying. So the fact that I have a longstanding hsv1 oral infection makes it highly unlikely that I have genital hsv1. This is good. Also, I have had a few outbreaks of whatever this is. I had one in April and saw my gynecologist. The lesions were already healed and she couldn't culture them. I had labs done at that time as well. So if it is hsv2, wouldn't it have shown up in my labs from November? I have one sexual partner which is my husband. He has a history of hsv1 orally since childhood as well. He has no genital symptoms. The last sexual encounter was about 3 weeks ago. Maybe I am not infected with genital herpes.I hope thats the case. The lesions are usually only one or two at a time and are painful. It is located on the labia minora. The lesions start to bleed for a day or two before they resolve. My main concern is not spreading it whatever IT may be. So now what? I sit here and cry and wait for another painful outbreak??

jodylynne

Still panicking............I mean this has consumed my thoughts. How do i go on and function in everyday life when it'sall I can think about??? My eyes are burning today so now I am over reacting and thinking I have herpes ocularis. I may need to see a psychiatrist or admit myself to a psychiatric hospital. Its so sad that Im afraid to take care of my granddaughter for fear of transmitting something via my hands. i realize its unlikely but they should call Murphy's law Jody's law. If its going to happen to anyone that would be me. ugh. I cannot take anymore bad news!!!! Feeling helpless and I have that impending doom in the pit of my stomach.

victor

Did she test you for HSV-1 and HSV-2? Many doctors don't. If your partner is your only partner and both of you have longstanding HSV-1 infections (regardless of location) it is extremely unlikely that you'll acquire it in another location. The herpetic whitlow would signify a new infection and since you've had HSV-1 orally since childhood then that's not a new infection. You need to figure out what it is first before resuming sexual contact to protect your partner. Go to the doctor at three months post exposure (or your last sexual encounter) and get tested for HSV-2 or if an OB shows up, get it cultured immediately instead of waiting until it's healed. I reccommend posting this in the Herpes Community Forums on Medhelp.org for free.

GodHope

Okay..I have to say I often find myself worrying about spreading HSV to others or to myself. Rest assure you are not abnormal to think this way. The most you can do, is to keep your hands away from the potential HSV area and wash with soap whenever you think you may have contacted a potential area. Also, you can visit your local doctor to assess your condition to give yourself a peace of mind :) that's by far the best way to go

jodylynne

Okay, so I called my ob gyn and she reassured me that I am not going to spread this to my family members and that I can take care of my granddaughter and not have to worry about it. I. Still ended up in the er in a panic attack over the whole thing. The doctor did not examine me. He did not even assess my thumb after voicing my concerns. I was given a face to face psychological evaluation and am ativan. I am not impressed by that. Even if these concerns are unwarranted, they are still concerns. So they all think I'm crazy. I feel so helpless and alone. My marriage is shaky to say the least and I still sit here and fret. I am going to see my therapist tonight. Hope she can help me deal with this.

jodylynne

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that I am losing my health insurance at the end of the year too. It just keeps getting better and better. Ugh

victor
Oh yeah I forgot to mention that I am losing my health insurance at the end of the year too. It just keeps getting better and better. Ugh

Jody - You don't have genital HSV-1; listen to your doctors! You already have it orally, and you have a better chance of winning the lottery than contracting it in another location. If anything, you should be a little concerned about spreading your oral HSV-1 (the only HSV-1 infection you have) to them by kissing them on the lips, and this can be prevented if you kiss them on the cheek. Also, if they aren't babies then kissing them on the lips is not enough to transmit an oral HSV-1 infection; it takes a romantic type of kiss to do so. I hope your therapist helped you.

jodylynne

I hear you. I realize that it's very unlikely that I have genital hsv1. The hsv2 igg is negative. These tests were done in April and November. I read that the accuracy of the igg is 98%. So then I do not have herpes at all? If not then there's something else recurring. Today I am worried all over again because I went to the bathroom and then my little one came in and used the potty. I helped her like always and then realized I hadn't washed hands. Can't sleep tonight because of this.

RealisticGal
I hear you. I realize that it's very unlikely that I have genital hsv1. The hsv2 igg is negative. These tests were done in April and November. I read that the accuracy of the igg is 98%. So then I do not have herpes at all? If not then there's something else recurring. Today I am worried all over again because I went to the bathroom and then my little one came in and used the potty. I helped her like always and then realized I hadn't washed hands. Can't sleep tonight because of this.

Since you have a history of cold sores on your face/mouth, that means you do have oral herpes.

It is not likely that you also have genital herpes simplex type 1, but not impossible.

As previously mentioned, you need not be concerned about transmitting a genital infection to your grandchildren (or anyone who is not your intimate sexual partner). Herpes is transmitted by skin-to-skin contact with the affected area. That means that if you have genital herpes, the only way to transmit it to someone else is for them to have direct contact with your genitals.

You could, however, pass your oral infection along by kissing. It does not necessarily have to be a "romantic" kiss. It is not typical to kiss children in a "romantic" fashion.

According to the American Social Health Association:

"More than 50 percent of the adult population in the United States has oral herpes, typically caused by herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1). Most people contract oral herpes when they are children by receiving a kiss from a friend or relative."

:wavey:

victor

It's something else going on. It could be a yeast infection, BV, among other things, but you should trust your doctor when they tell you you're fine and don't have it. The herpes that you have is oral HSV-1 and are also called cold sores or fever blisters. Even if you did have genital herpes, which you don't, herpes isn't spread from toilet seats; it's spread from skin to skin contact. You're not going to spread herpes from using the bathroom then helping your grandaughter use the bathroom because herpes isn't spread that way since it's hard for herpes to survive out the body. You're overreacting and need to relax. The only way that you could spread genital herpes (which you don't have) is through sex... Sorry for being so blunt, but you need to know the truth, and I don't want you to continue to worry. The doctor said you don't have genital herpes, so you don't have it. Even if you did, like I said, you aren't going to pass it that way. With your oral HSV-1 infection and your grandchildren just follow my previous post above.

victor

Since you have a history of cold sores on your face/mouth, that means you do have oral herpes.

It is not likely that you also have genital herpes simplex type 1, but not impossible.

As previously mentioned, you need not be concerned about transmitting a genital infection to your grandchildren (or anyone who is not your intimate sexual partner). Herpes is transmitted by skin-to-skin contact with the affected area. That means that if you have genital herpes, the only way to transmit it to someone else is for them to have direct contact with your genitals.

You could, however, pass your oral infection along by kissing. It does not necessarily have to be a "romantic" kiss. It is not typical to kiss children in a "romantic" fashion.

According to the American Social Health Association:

"More than 50 percent of the adult population in the United States has oral herpes, typically caused by herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1). Most people contract oral herpes when they are children by receiving a kiss from a friend or relative."

:wavey:

According to Grace from MedHelp.org, it does take a romantic kiss unless they are really young children or babies. Her doctor said she didn't have it genitally, so no need to think that she does. Sure, getting genital HSV-1 after having a longstanding oral infection isn't impossible, but running over a U.S. President in your driveway isn't impossible either.

RealisticGal
According to Grace from MedHelp.org, it does take a romantic kiss unless they are really young children or babies. Her doctor said she didn't have it genitally, so no need to think that she does. Sure, getting genital HSV-1 after having a longstanding oral infection isn't impossible, but running over a U.S. President in your driveway isn't impossible either.

She has a 3 year old grandchild, victor. That is her concern --- passing the virus to her young grandchild.

jodylynne

I was diagnosed with Bells palsy today. I know this can be caused by hsv. I feel like a herpes infested viral reservoir biohazard to the environment. Maybe I. Am immunocompromised

RealisticGal
I was diagnosed with Bells palsy today. I know this can be caused by hsv. I feel like a herpes infested viral reservoir biohazard to the environment. Maybe I. Am immunocompromised

I know there are others here in the forum who have dealt with Bells Palsy 2° to HSV. You might be able to find some of their posts here by running a search.

But you are not "infested." I hope you can stop thinking of yourself in those terms.

:(