World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
Littletweet

I feel so lost...

Littletweet

My name is Kat I'm 25 and I just found out today that I have HSV-2. Spent most of the day crying when I got my results back. I kept asking her if there was anyway the test could be wrong. I don't want to go outside and I don't want to be around people.

Thing is my graduation and portfolio show were this week and I was so excited for my life to begin. But now everything has just come to a screeching halt and I don't know what to do.

Even though I'm older I still feel obligated to tell my mother for some reason, but I know how she will react and I'm already depressed and anxiety ridden over the situation as is.

I want to know how other people learned to cope with it. Because I know they say don't view it as a life sentence, but I can't help but look at it for exactly what it is.

I have suffered with eating disorders in the past so my confidence is already at rock bottom, and now HSV-2 kicking me while I'm down. I'm already struggling with something in my day to day life for the rest of my life...why do I need this too?

Part of me thinks I must have really deserved this and it's just punishment...

Totally

hey girl, hang in there. it's hard to cope with it, that's for sure. I just want to kill the person who gave it to me. Get on the meds, start feeling better, communicate with people here, educate yourself. It is not going to be easy but it is not the reason not to enjoy the life. Get on with your career plans, enjoy that. I cry myself, too. Often b/c of that. I have not told my mom. It will be hard for her.

Littletweet

Mine just turned into one huge rash that spread from around vagina all the way to butt.

I literally cannot sleep because of the itching and desitin isn't really doing much. How long does it take before the medication starts clearing all this up?

And what vitamins should I be taking to keep myself healthy?

jodylynne

I feel the same way. depressed and helpless. Im not even totally sure thats what I have but I have myself convinced it is.

Kate

Hey ladies. Mines the same. I have not felt normal in 2 months. I feel like my life has been ruined but every day gets a little easier than the last. Haven't been able to tell anyone yet but someday I hope the shame wears off and I can speak about it with confidence. I'm hanging in there just like you. If you need to vent private msg me. I can listen.

Littletweet

Thanks everyone hearing that other people are going through the same emotional and physical obstacles as I am gives me a sliver of hope. Still can't help but tear up even as I type this though.

Littletweet

Ok so I'm taking acyclovir 400 mg 3 times a day currently. I'm experience some pretty wicked headaches and nausea from it? The nurse told me there were no side effects. Is this normal?

Hottfoxxy

First outbreaks are sometimes tough!! Try taking the med on a full stomache also first outbreaks mimic flu like symptoms headaches, body aches, upset stomache ect... U can take suppressive thereapy which is pills everyday I do!! I also take vitamin b-12 and vitamin c... Soaking in Epsom salt baths help heal and dry out the sores remember to wash hands thoroughly when touching the area!!

Zinc oxide cream works wonders as well!! The first 6 months to a year is when ur most contagious as times goes on u tend to shed less... U will learn ur triggers and when to avoid contact with the area as time Goes on hopefully u will be lucky and u won't have any other occurrences or have only a few a year!! Keep in mind though u can still pass herpes without a outbreak present although its much more contagious during an outbreak!! It's still possible to pass it on using a condom!!! I know its easier said than done but with time and faith it will get better!!!someone out there will love u no matter what herpes is just a small bump in the road amongst so many other disease that are out their this one is minor.. Get urself educated take time for u and things will fall into perspective !!! U need not to tell anyone if u so choose not to!! The only ppl u need to tell BEFORE hand is those sexual partners.. U need not tell ur mom or any friends if u don't feel secure!!! It's ur business!! I've had this 8 yrs now and only recently told my mom and 1 girlfriend that is it!!! Besides my partner of 6 yrs who is hsv negative and we don't use condoms!!! We refrain from sex just before an outbreak occurs which is prodromes for me its headache feeling tired achy in the legs and buttocks, genital area feels sensitive!!! Avoid during outbreak and avoid sex 1 full week after all sores, scabs, redness and skin looks normal again !!

If someone loves u they love u for all of u!! Nothing had changed about u but a minor skin irritation from time to time that comes and goes!!! Keep ur head up check out this site www.hsvblog.org {{{ hugs}}}

Totally

I fainted the first time I took valacyclovir, I thought I was just stressed out, but when I took it again, it was the same thing, so called my Dr. immediately, but the y say only 3 drugs available, etc. Have been "burning" for about a month with no relief. Terrible

GodHope

I understand how you feel. but rest assure over some time you will feel better slowly till the point that you are able to say "hey! im still me, nothing's changed, except for this stupid skin condition". Yeah, that regret and crestfallen feeling would probably take a huge load of time to fade completely (yeah I still feel that way) but as long as you take care of yourself, HSV can change from a complete life screwer to just a mere nuisance (like maybe just slightly more than your average flu). Take it as a learning curve and that do not take things forgranted. Who knows, this may make mould you into a better person and may have actually stopped you from contracting worse diseases :) strive on!

daddysprincess

I don't know... I just found out, right after my birthday. I had to spend my 30th birthday burning and in pain. Sweating, fever and general illness. Headache for 2 days straight. I don't know how to feel. How long am I going to be sad about this? I feel so unattractive and just confused, hurt, sad... depressed. My boyfriend (who i contracted the virus from) offered to see a counselor with me. Should I go? It's still so new and hurtful.

victor
I don't know... I just found out, right after my birthday. I had to spend my 30th birthday burning and in pain. Sweating, fever and general illness. Headache for 2 days straight. I don't know how to feel. How long am I going to be sad about this? I feel so unattractive and just confused, hurt, sad... depressed. My boyfriend (who i contracted the virus from) offered to see a counselor with me. Should I go? It's still so new and hurtful.

I'm so sorry you have herpes because you do not deserve this one bit! Herpes isn't the worst thing that can happen to you, but it's up there at least in your mind. The reality is that only a few people realize that herpes is basically a skin condition while the rest associate it with the terrible and unnecessary stigma. For the majority of folks, herpes is only a health concern when having kids since it can be passed from mother-to-infant during birth. Thankfully, neonatal herpes is extremely rare (less than 1% and it can be completely avoided if the mother has a longstanding infection and has a c-section performed). It'll take you some time to get use to this...you might never be the same person you once were, but I bet you'll become much stronger through this. Other things in life change us as well such as death, break-ups, regret, but it's unfortunate that herpes is a constant reminder. If you feel a counselor is needed then by all means go, but if you think you and your boyfriend can work through this together then keep it that way. How long will you be sad? It's hard to say. For instance, when Magic Johnson was diagnosed with HIV, even though it can become a life threatening disease (AIDS), he never sat around and cried about it, rather he worked his butt off to spread awareness to help educate others. Herpes sucks because it's incurable, but other than that, it really poses no health risks like the other STDs.

victor
First outbreaks are sometimes tough!! Try taking the med on a full stomache also first outbreaks mimic flu like symptoms headaches, body aches, upset stomache ect... U can take suppressive thereapy which is pills everyday I do!! I also take vitamin b-12 and vitamin c... Soaking in Epsom salt baths help heal and dry out the sores remember to wash hands thoroughly when touching the area!!

Zinc oxide cream works wonders as well!! The first 6 months to a year is when ur most contagious as times goes on u tend to shed less... U will learn ur triggers and when to avoid contact with the area as time Goes on hopefully u will be lucky and u won't have any other occurrences or have only a few a year!! Keep in mind though u can still pass herpes without a outbreak present although its much more contagious during an outbreak!! It's still possible to pass it on using a condom!!! I know its easier said than done but with time and faith it will get better!!!someone out there will love u no matter what herpes is just a small bump in the road amongst so many other disease that are out their this one is minor.. Get urself educated take time for u and things will fall into perspective !!! U need not to tell anyone if u so choose not to!! The only ppl u need to tell BEFORE hand is those sexual partners.. U need not tell ur mom or any friends if u don't feel secure!!! It's ur business!! I've had this 8 yrs now and only recently told my mom and 1 girlfriend that is it!!! Besides my partner of 6 yrs who is hsv negative and we don't use condoms!!! We refrain from sex just before an outbreak occurs which is prodromes for me its headache feeling tired achy in the legs and buttocks, genital area feels sensitive!!! Avoid during outbreak and avoid sex 1 full week after all sores, scabs, redness and skin looks normal again !!

If someone loves u they love u for all of u!! Nothing had changed about u but a minor skin irritation from time to time that comes and goes!!! Keep ur head up check out this site www.hsvblog.org {{{ hugs}}}

You're right, herpes sheds the most during the first year, but after the first year the shedding rate tends to remain consistent; it doesn't drop after every month/year of having it after the first year.

Littletweet

I would rather just keep to myself from now on at least that way I know I can't mess anyone elses life up by passing it to them.

victor
I would rather just keep to myself from now on at least that way I know I can't mess anyone elses life up by passing it to them.

That's your right, and many people feel that way who are diagnosed with herpes. If you have HSV-2, a little less than 20% of the population carries it, so you can find someone with it who you won't infect. If you have HSV-1, about 60-80% of the population carries it, and you won't infect them either.

Totally

I've had it for about 6 years, I think, and this years it's the worst. And I have not had health insur for a few months, s it makes it much harder. My idiot Dr. after first prescribing me meds, after I said they worked really well, changed me into smth different, and they do not help at all. I need to wait until Jan. to go talk to her again. Yes, I do think, too, that I can't do this to people... But I'm falling for someone...

Totally

thanks, trying to hang in there. THe OB is not going away. Driving my crazy completely.

Littletweet

I'm in the same boat I'm on suppressive meds twice a day montly, taking vitamin c, b-12, and lysine and my outbreak will not go away in the slightest. I'm absolutely miserable....

Totally

Hi, Littletweet. I'll have to see my DR again, even though I just was there about 2 weeks ago, and all that $ for meds and Dr's visits, talk about trying to not be stressed out. I hope there is an improvement coming our way.