World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
hopeful2012

Just diagnosed with Genital HSV 1

hopeful2012

I received the call today that my culture came back positive for HSV 1. I am still in shock and disbelief that this is happening. I am currently in a serious relationship with a wonderful man and I told him shortly after I found out. He was very supportive but knows little about herpes. I am afraid that once he reads more, he will decide to end our relationship. I also think he is the one I contracted this from since I am experiencing my first OB. Having this discussion with him was one of the most difficult things I have had to do but I’m glad I was open and transparent with him.

I have so many emotions and thoughts going through my mind. I was raised in a very strict and religious household. Part of me keeps thinking that I got this disease because I strayed away from the teachings of my religion.

I am glad that a place like this exists. I am too ashamed to tell any of my friends and especially my family.

bp1983

I just found out last Wednesday. I have the genital hsv1 also. I have been trying to find the right time to tell my bf but every time I look into his eyes, I'm so scared to lose him. But if I wait any longer ill be betraying him by not telling him. I have told 3 friends and all three told me don't tell him bc ghsv1 hardly shows back up after the first outbreak.. How did you go about telling yours?

hopeful2012

It just came out because he is the only person that I feel I could talk too in my life. I couldn't do it in person since he is away on a business trip so i did it over the phone. i don't know what it will be like when he returns or once he reads up more on what herpes is. I felt that I had to tell him because the guilt is something i may not be able to live with. It not an easy thing especially when everything else is going well in your relationship. Best wishes to you.

bp1983

I think once he reads up on it it won't sound as bad. It's the initial shock that scares us all I think. GHSV-1 seems like the not so problematic one. All my friends say don't tell him but I wouldn't be able to live w the guilt either. I just need to lay it on him I guess :/

victor

Most likely you got this from him if you are just now experiencing symptoms. If he's ever gotten a cold sore in his life then he probably gave it to you genitally through oral sex. 90% of new genital HSV-1 infections come from oral sex. Even if your boyfriend doesn't remember having a cold sore, it's still highly possible that he is the one who transmitted this to you since only 20-40% of those with oral HSV-1 develop symptoms. Since you now both have HSV-1, you are extremely unlikely to give this to him in another location or for you to get this in another location. There's no way to know for certain if he gave this to you other than having him get a HerpeSelect IGG HSV-1 blood test. Having oral HSV-1 is extremely common; somewhere between 60-80% of adults carry the virus. Here's a few links for you regarding information and precautions from leading STD and Herpes experts.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/STDs/Partners-have-different-HSV1-genital--oral-/show/1129351

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Herpes/Genital-HSV-1/show/1843133

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Herpes/Oral-Sex-exposure/show/1837909

FuzzyArtist

Tell him, have him get tested also.

If you both have it (hsv1), good news! You can't give it too each other again.

I got it from a girl who had NO idea she had it. And she was a "good girl" with a history of few partners.

Zyx

Honestly I knew very little about herpes before I contracted it. I had no idea that cold sores were in fact a form of herpes. I got genital herpes from my boyfriend of two years from a cold sore he had. I told him about every step along the way and although we broke up a few years later, we're currently on the path of getting back together. It's important to share with your boyfriends. They care for you, they can help you. None of this was anyone's fault. Everything happens for a reason. I was a freshman in college when I found out and telling my mom was one of the hardest things I had to do. I questioned the whole thing for a long time and even sometimes to this day. But you're never given too much to handle, it is a challenge at first but it does get better. Stay positive!

lock2

I too got genital hsv1 this yr. My boyfriend got tested and sure enough he had it too. I got it from oral sex. Victor (from this website) is extremely knowledgable and has helped me deal. Here is one of his post icon1.gif.HOpe you don't mind victor!!

Having HSV-1 genitally really isn't a big deal. Chances are you got this from your boyfriend's HSV-1 oral infection through oral sex. Since you two have the same strain of HSV-1, you aren't going to spread this back and forth to each other in different locations. You really have nothing to worry about. Somewhere between 60-80% of adults have HSV-1 and only around 10% of us make it out of life without acquiring HSV-1. Since this is the same strain of HSV-1, your boyfriend is not going to get it genitally from you and you aren't going to get it orally from him. Here's a link to a thread by STD expert Dr. Handsfield about your same scenario

In most if not all cases, people get HSV-1 genitally because they have no prexisting HSV-1 antibodies. It is extremely, extremely rare to get infected in two different locations unless it is through the same encounter or exposure (ex: you getting kissed before your bf performed oral sex on you when infection was shedding). It is important to be careful during your primary outbreak since your body is just now developing antibodies to fight the virus and prevent it from being spread to other locations. However, after the primary outbreak, you are highly, highly unlikely to spread it to another location. In fact, Herpes expert, Terri Warren has only seen one instance where it possibly happened and even then, she wasn't totally convinced it happened at all.

So yeah, you won't ping pong this back and forth to each other because you both now have HSV-1 even though it's in different locations. If you are to have genital herpes, HSV-1 is the one to have according to the STD experts because of its low shedding rate and mild outbreaks. Since you and your partner both have HSV-1, you don't really have a transmission risk. If in the future you find another partner, there is a 60-80% chance that he already has HSV-1 and is not at risk for acquiring another infection in a different location despite his infection's site. Even if you find a partner who is negative for HSV-1, you have a very, very low chance of spreading this to him through genital-to-genital sex. Basically, just avoiding sex anytime you have anything going on genitally is all it takes to prevent a negative HSV-1 person from becoming infected with your HSV-1. Genital HSV-1 sheds approximately 3% of days out of the year or 12 days per year, and only a quarter of those with genital HSV-1 shed the virus when there are no obvious symptoms; you can read more here if you'd like
. Basically, just avoiding sex anytime you have anything going on genitally is all it takes to prevent transmission to a HSV-1 negative partner. However, chances are that if you do find someone else, he is most likely going to have HSV-1 and is not at risk for acquiring another infection genitally.

Some people can spread HSV-1 to other parts of their body through autoinoculation during the primary outbreak (touching herpes lesion then touching mucous membrane such as mouth, nose, ear, eyes), but this rarely occurs. If you think about it, many babies get oral HSV-1 and babies love to touch everything, so if HSV-1 could be spread easily then we'd be seeing a bunch of babies with oral HSV-1 and genital HSV-1, due to them touching their cold sore then genitals, but we don't see this happen
:smile:
. Here's another link from herpes expert, Terri Warren, that will help you better understand

Like I said, chances are you got this from your boyfriend's oral HSV-1 infection. It is not uncommon for people with oral HSV-1 to be asymptomatic. In fact, only 20-40% of those infected with oral HSV-1 get cold sores or obvious symptoms to know they have it. You aren't going to ping pong this infection back and forth because right now your body is developing antibodies to fight the virus and prevent it from being spread to other locations of the body. After your primary OB, it is extremely, extremely unlikely that you'll spread this to another part of your body. Since your boyfriend has HSV-1 already and now you do, you aren't going to be passing this onto him genitally. However, there are no absolutes in biology, but you have a better chance of winning the Mega Millions lottery than becoming infected with HSV-1 in another location
(same applies for your boyfriend). I suggest avoiding sex if your OBs are painful and to err on the side of caution when symptoms are present for transmission purposes to negative HSV-1 people.

There's a lot of information on MedHelp.org by leading STD experts/Herpes experts that will be able to provide you with detailed information, but don't forget about us here if you ever need support! This will be a minor inconvenience in your life, and if you are to have genital herpes, HSV-1 is the one to have according to experts. Remember, you're in the majority!

musicgirl12

Hi, I am new diagnosed patient myself, n I'm in the same boat as you, I'm scared, ashamed, and trying to keep myself positive. That's what you have to do, keep stress free and stay positive. If you need someone to talk to, I'm here :) goodluck.

victor
I too got genital hsv1 this yr. My boyfriend got tested and sure enough he had it too. I got it from oral sex. Victor (from this website) is extremely knowledgable and has helped me deal. Here is one of his post icon1.gif.HOpe you don't mind victor!!

Having HSV-1 genitally really isn't a big deal. Chances are you got this from your boyfriend's HSV-1 oral infection through oral sex. Since you two have the same strain of HSV-1, you aren't going to spread this back and forth to each other in different locations. You really have nothing to worry about. Somewhere between 60-80% of adults have HSV-1 and only around 10% of us make it out of life without acquiring HSV-1. Since this is the same strain of HSV-1, your boyfriend is not going to get it genitally from you and you aren't going to get it orally from him. Here's a link to a thread by STD expert Dr. Handsfield about your same scenario

In most if not all cases, people get HSV-1 genitally because they have no prexisting HSV-1 antibodies. It is extremely, extremely rare to get infected in two different locations unless it is through the same encounter or exposure (ex: you getting kissed before your bf performed oral sex on you when infection was shedding). It is important to be careful during your primary outbreak since your body is just now developing antibodies to fight the virus and prevent it from being spread to other locations. However, after the primary outbreak, you are highly, highly unlikely to spread it to another location. In fact, Herpes expert, Terri Warren has only seen one instance where it possibly happened and even then, she wasn't totally convinced it happened at all.

So yeah, you won't ping pong this back and forth to each other because you both now have HSV-1 even though it's in different locations. If you are to have genital herpes, HSV-1 is the one to have according to the STD experts because of its low shedding rate and mild outbreaks. Since you and your partner both have HSV-1, you don't really have a transmission risk. If in the future you find another partner, there is a 60-80% chance that he already has HSV-1 and is not at risk for acquiring another infection in a different location despite his infection's site. Even if you find a partner who is negative for HSV-1, you have a very, very low chance of spreading this to him through genital-to-genital sex. Basically, just avoiding sex anytime you have anything going on genitally is all it takes to prevent a negative HSV-1 person from becoming infected with your HSV-1. Genital HSV-1 sheds approximately 3% of days out of the year or 12 days per year, and only a quarter of those with genital HSV-1 shed the virus when there are no obvious symptoms; you can read more here if you'd like
. Basically, just avoiding sex anytime you have anything going on genitally is all it takes to prevent transmission to a HSV-1 negative partner. However, chances are that if you do find someone else, he is most likely going to have HSV-1 and is not at risk for acquiring another infection genitally.

Some people can spread HSV-1 to other parts of their body through autoinoculation during the primary outbreak (touching herpes lesion then touching mucous membrane such as mouth, nose, ear, eyes), but this rarely occurs. If you think about it, many babies get oral HSV-1 and babies love to touch everything, so if HSV-1 could be spread easily then we'd be seeing a bunch of babies with oral HSV-1 and genital HSV-1, due to them touching their cold sore then genitals, but we don't see this happen
. Here's another link from herpes expert, Terri Warren, that will help you better understand

Like I said, chances are you got this from your boyfriend's oral HSV-1 infection. It is not uncommon for people with oral HSV-1 to be asymptomatic. In fact, only 20-40% of those infected with oral HSV-1 get cold sores or obvious symptoms to know they have it. You aren't going to ping pong this infection back and forth because right now your body is developing antibodies to fight the virus and prevent it from being spread to other locations of the body. After your primary OB, it is extremely, extremely unlikely that you'll spread this to another part of your body. Since your boyfriend has HSV-1 already and now you do, you aren't going to be passing this onto him genitally. However, there are no absolutes in biology, but you have a better chance of winning the Mega Millions lottery than becoming infected with HSV-1 in another location
(same applies for your boyfriend). I suggest avoiding sex if your OBs are painful and to err on the side of caution when symptoms are present for transmission purposes to negative HSV-1 people.

There's a lot of information on MedHelp.org by leading STD experts/Herpes experts that will be able to provide you with detailed information, but don't forget about us here if you ever need support! This will be a minor inconvenience in your life, and if you are to have genital herpes, HSV-1 is the one to have according to experts. Remember, you're in the majority!

I don't mind at all lock2; I'm glad the info has helped you!!