World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
thisisme5656

Is anyone else afraid to fill their prescription?

thisisme5656

I had my first outbreak in August and it seems like I am at the end of my 2nd one right now.

My doctor gave me a prescription for Valtrex (or something) in August, but I never filled it, as I was at the end of an outbreak when I was diagnosed and wanted to let it heal naturally. AND - I am afraid to fill it. I don't like the thought of my name being in a Walgreens/ Target/ CVS/ whatever computer system showing that I have been prescribed a treatment for herpes. I also know a pharmacist - if he works at a place where I get it filled, won't he have access to this information?

I'm probably being a little overly-paranoid, but I don't want anyone to know about my situation either than myself and my husband. I take it there is no way to get medication without going to one of these places to fill a prescription, or getting it on the black market, or something...Anyone else have these thoughts? Or advice?

(Also - my husband is negative. And I found out I had this after 3 years of unprotected, sexual monogamy with him, which is even more baffling. Both of my outbreaks have been insignificant in pain and severity, and I figure that my body must be fending this off naturally pretty well if I have had this for 3+ years and have only had these 2 minor outbreaks. But now I am starting to think that I might want to go on suppressives for the sake of doing what I can to not transmit this to my husband.)

RealisticGal
I had my first outbreak in August and it seems like I am at the end of my 2nd one right now.

My doctor gave me a prescription for Valtrex (or something) in August, but I never filled it, as I was at the end of an outbreak when I was diagnosed and wanted to let it heal naturally. AND - I am afraid to fill it. I don't like the thought of my name being in a Walgreens/ Target/ CVS/ whatever computer system showing that I have been prescribed a treatment for herpes. I also know a pharmacist - if he works at a place where I get it filled, won't he have access to this information?

I'm probably being a little overly-paranoid, but I don't want anyone to know about my situation either than myself and my husband. I take it there is no way to get medication without going to one of these places to fill a prescription, or getting it on the black market, or something...Anyone else have these thoughts? Or advice?

Hi thisisme5656 ---

I understand your concerns.

The privacy of your medical info is protected by law (HIPAA). All healthcare providers and affiliated folks (like pharmacy techs) are trained in complying with this.

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/summary/index.html

Another thing is, Valtrex is also prescribed for oral herpes (cold sores) and shingles. If anyone ever said anything (unlikely...very unprofessional!) you could say you have shingles.

I doubt your friend the pharmacist spends his time trolling the database to see if any of his friends have any "little secrets." If that one really bothers you, find out where he works and go elsewhere.

(Also - my husband is negative. And I found out I had this after 3 years of unprotected, sexual monogamy with him, which is even more baffling. Both of my outbreaks have been insignificant in pain and severity, and I figure that my body must be fending this off naturally pretty well if I have had this for 3+ years and have only had these 2 minor outbreaks. But now I am starting to think that I might want to go on suppressives for the sake of doing what I can to not transmit this to my husband.)

You may have had this long before you ever met your husband, if you have had other partners. It's a sneaky little bastard of a virus that can hide for years, then suddenly pop up to cause confusion.

Also, just to be sure --- do you have HSV-I or HSV-II?

Has your husband been tested for both types?

:wavey:

hellonearth

I felt the same way, I don't even like to be associated with my own name anymore because somewhere it is written next to a positive H result....and it's shameful, so I feel you!!! I actually wish the Dr.'s office where my results are would let me get my records and burn them! I don't want to be associated with this disease at all!!!

mrroboto

Considering the amount of individuals with a herpes type infection you are in the majority so I wont worry that much. However one alternative you can explore is if your health plan offers mail service...it is cheaper than buying in the store (most times) and you dont have to worry about anyone knowing your situation. Also big box stores like Sams and Costco offer mail service as well.

thisisme5656

Also, just to be sure --- do you have HSV-I or HSV-II?

Has your husband been tested for both types?

:wavey:

Hi RealisticGal -

I was negative for type I and positive for type II.

After I tested positive, my husband got a blood test - he was positive for type I and negative for type II. Go figure!

So yes - the only conclusion I can come up with is that I got this from a past partner, and it is popping up now for some reason. I really hope it crawls back into its hole and stays there!

Acesheart

Hey thisisme, I have never been afraid to fill them, just curious whether anyone would tell. We live in very small community, just got a zip code a few years back :) . We got a Walmart last year ;) . I stick with my small family owned pharmacy. They have referred to my meds as "your cold sore medicine" , which is fine, they don't know I'm genital type 2, and I have never volunteered. My old pharmacy was a hour away, but a phsrmasist friend told me half that work there have no idea what they are handling. So after that I went to my small pharmacy and its been great ever since, I save on gas too. Hugs, Ace :santaclaus:

Vidhya

Another absolutely incredible consequence of the "herpes stigma". This would not happen anywhere else in the world, because nowhere else in the world Valtrex propaganda is allowed on TV. This has turned HSV2 into an "incurable" and shameful disease, which needs chronic treatment. So people feel forced to buy it, and then they feel ashamed to buy it as well. Nobody would give a damn about this in a pharamacy in Paris, Madrid or London, where the drug is usually sold by its generic name, Valacyclovir, and few even bother to know whats it for.

Acesheart

Not so, we have several from those places you mentioned, they feel as we all do universal. They don't want others knowing their business. Why would anyone? If I purchase hemmoriods cream I flinch as well. But sure it says it on the box so yes everyone knows what that is for. This is not just about stigma, its about ppl being nosey. It's about private business staying private. Hell, my ex outted me when he gave it to me. That just so happened to be where I use to buy my antivirals. Now I'm small town, sure some may know, but to them its for shingles and cold sores, not my genital herps. Have a lovely holiday season. Truly, Ace :)

Memphis10man

i do but after reading these posts i kinda realize who cares. there are probly so many people that have scrips for it and the workers there dont really know or give a crap. it could be for cold sores. pretty much everybody gets those...

syringa
I don't like the thought of my name being in a Walgreens/ Target/ CVS/ whatever computer system showing that I have been prescribed a treatment for herpes.

I go to Walgreens and I have the same worry sometimes. I'm pretty sure you could find a pharmacy in your area that is not part of the big chains.