World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
jscl

Vical

jscl

Can anyone tell me exactly what this means:

This is the Vaxfectin vaccine blurb:

Both prophylactic vaccines significantly reduced viral replication at the primary genital infection site.

Both prophylactic vaccines significantly reduced detectable HSV-2 infection at the dorsal root ganglia latent site. does this mean it could potentially kill all the virus off????

The therapeutic pDNA vaccine encoding gD, UL46 and UL47 significantly reduced the frequency of genital lesion outbreaks in animals with pre-established HSV-2 infections.

The therapeutic vaccine significantly reduced the frequency of genital viral shedding.

fh12

Two articles under PubMED , one which was published last month, are promising in reducing outbreaks and shedding . I hope they start clinical trials soon! Can an expert review this and answer JSCLs question? Accelerate the response or wwdamron!

Fry

JSCL: T-cells have been known to reduce the viral load in the dorsal root ganglion in mice trials. If this is the case with the Vical vaccine is unknown.

However, if vaccinated before being infected, both the mice immunized with the Vical vaccine and with or without adjuvant (Vaxfectin) were well protected against infection. In face, in the guinea pig trial, only one in fifteen animals immunized with Vicals HSV-2 vaccine and the Vaxfectin adjuvant had detecable HSV DNA in the DRG on day 63 after infection. See Vical document below.

The Vical fact sheet that describes the guinea pig trials: http://www.vical.com/Theme/Vical/files/doc_downloads/111003_HSV-2_Vaccine-ISV.pdf

Mutant

This vaccine may not work on HSv-1 because its a DNA vaccine. I guess most of you have HSv-2 though. I have HSV-1 so its a bit disappointing for me but there is plenty of other vaccines in the pipe line. I will still try it though. :)

jscl

Hi mrmm,

I too have HSV1 and you say there are plenty of other vaccines in the pipeline can you tell me what the other studies are? I know

we that GEN003, and HerpV are in trials.

Mutant

jscl...Besides GEn003 and Herpv we have Coridon.I think the trials start later this year we hope. I think we might see some more pop up as well.

Fry

Vical is joining Genocea and Agenus in the race. It seems like they are taking the same short cut as Genocea and are doing a combined phase I/IIa starting this year. I.e. we have 3 vaccines in some sort of phase II this year. Great!! The only one missing now is GenVec...

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1106371-vical-incorporated-presents-at-jpmorgan-2013-healthcare-conference-transcript?page=1&p=qanda&l=last

EDIT: My bad. Seems like they will be doing a phase I proof of concept study during the second half of this year. Duration 12 to 15 months. With a 100% sterilizing immunity in preclinical animal trials this is going to be a very interesting trial to follow!

Gothic Beauty
This vaccine may not work on HSv-1 because its a DNA vaccine. I guess most of you have HSv-2 though. I have HSV-1 so its a bit disappointing for me but there is plenty of other vaccines in the pipe line. I will still try it though. :)

That... doesn't even make sense unless you don't know what DNA is. DNA has the potential to wipe out viruses. We just need the right formula is all.

Mutant
That... doesn't even make sense unless you don't know what DNA is. DNA has the potential to wipe out viruses. We just need the right formula is all.

Well...in that case perhaps you should tell Vical they dont know anything since they have that on their web site.

I would explain it to you but I dont think you will understand.

fh12

Whatever works on HSV2 WILL MOST LIKELY work on HSV1. They are focused on HSV2 because it is typically a more difficult virus to treat. All the data suggests genital HSV1 does not produce as many symptoms and problems as HSV2. This is true for most people, not all.

Mutant

Can you people read? Its on the VICAL WEBSITE THAT IT WILL NOT WORK FOR HSV-1. THEY CLEARLY STATE THAT THEY WILL NEED A SEPERATE VACCINE FOR HSV-1 AND THAT THEY WILL NOT PURSUE IT TILL THEY FINISH THE HSV-2 VACCINE. THEY ARE NOT USING DNA FROM THE HSV-1 VIRUS WHICH IS WHY IT WONT WORK. OTHER NON DNA VACCINES WORK DIFFERENT. JUST TO BE CLEAR.....THEY WILL NEED A SEPERATE VACCINE WITH DNA FROM HSV-1.

fh12

OOPS, my mistake. There is so much information out there right now which is great but a bit overwhelming. The fact that a few vaccines are already in human trials gives me hope which I really need right now. His last paragraph is promising though.

Mutant

Yes, I am trying to have hope too. I have hsv-1 and cant participate in trials which realy sucks. My hope is that if Vical is successful with HSV-2 that they will be able to get an hsv-1 approved much faster but who knows what the fda will allow them to do yet.

Mutant

It rather upsets me that they chose not to include dna from the hsv-1 virus. From their point of view they can make more money with two vaccines so maybe thats why but I dont know for sure.

fh12

There is hope that if Herp V or Gen 003 makes it to market, it will work for HSV1. Maybe their future trials will include HSV1 volunteers. For now, I am thankful we have this forum for support.