World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
helpiamconfused2

2012 And The Future

helpiamconfused2

All, 2012 has been an exciting year in the world of herpes (if there is such a thing :)).

1. AIC 316 seems to be marching forward with hopefully FAR superior efficacy than Valtrex.

2. Vical is still moving along.

3. Agenus is in Phase II of their clinical studies as are many others.

4. Chickenpox vaccine has the potential to help tremendously

5. Petitions - we garnered over 11,000 signatures sent to legislators, NIH officials, and the President. This shows we're serious about this cause. The petitions now will go to newly elected officials, as of their inauguration date. Please consider signing (again) if you agree with the petitions. There is strength in numbers.

http://www.petition2congress.com/3738/increase-herpes-research-funding/

http://www.petition2congress.com/3875/decrease-us-unemployment-find-cure-herpes/

http://www.petition2congress.com/3986/fund-peregrine-pharmaceutical-to-test-bavi-herpes/

http://www.petition2congress.com/4807/fda-fast-track-aic-316-hsv2-therapeutic-drug/

Happy Holidays to all. As you can see above, we've been gifted in 2012 with more to come!

Sincerely, HIAC2

newmember111
All, 2012 has been an exciting year in the world of herpes (if this is such a thing :).

1. AIC 316 seems to be marching forward with hopefully FAR superior efficacy than Valtrex.

2. Vical is still moving along.

3. Agenus is in Phase II of their clinical studies as are many others.

4. Chickenpox vaccine has the potential to help tremendously

5. Petitions - we garnered over 11,000 signatures sent to legislators, NIH officials, and the President. This shows we're serious about this cause. The petitions now will go to newly elected officials, as of their inauguration date. Please consider signing (again) if you agree with the petitions. There is strength in numbers.

http://www.petition2congress.com/3738/increase-herpes-research-funding/

http://www.petition2congress.com/3875/decrease-us-unemployment-find-cure-herpes/

http://www.petition2congress.com/3986/fund-peregrine-pharmaceutical-to-test-bavi-herpes/

http://www.petition2congress.com/4807/fda-fast-track-aic-316-hsv2-therapeutic-drug/

Happy Holidays to all. As you can see above, we've been gifted in 2012 with more to come!

Sincerely, HIAC2

Great post! I'm confident science will prevail sooner than people can realize!

helpiamconfused2
and what about Genocea?

Sure add Genocea, Cordidon, et al... the original post is not an exclusionary one. As it says, "as are many others."

In short, while things aren't perfect (they never will be), I do believe we have lots to be thankful for and I am relatively confident (just my opinion) that we'll have something light years better on pharmacy shelves within 5 years. Nonetheless, we've still got to be our advocates and help ourselves by being vocal, generous and vigilent.

hopeisgood

Forgive me for being cynical. The research for HSV1 is lagging, no updates from the people who were heralded as our best hope. The last break through was decades ago with acyclovir. Unless something drastically changes, five years on we will still be looking at a solution 10 years from then. I just hope something nice happens with the research and it actually goes somewhere. I hope the Genoccea and Agneus trials actually bear fruit and don't get stuck in the Phase 3 clinical trials where all our best research dies. Just hope that we are looking at the time frame being 10 years from now and reducing rather than a moving deadline.

Hope is good.

helpiamconfused2
Forgive me for being cynical. The research for HSV1 is lagging, no updates from the people who were heralded as our best hope. The last break through was decades ago with acyclovir. Unless something drastically changes, five years on we will still be looking at a solution 10 years from then. I just hope something nice happens with the research and it actually goes somewhere. I hope the Genoccea and Agneus trials actually bear fruit and don't get stuck in the Phase 3 clinical trials where all our best research dies. Just hope that we are looking at the time frame being 10 years from now and reducing rather than a moving deadline.

Hope is good.

We've got several things in Phase 2 or entering Phase III. I am not a scientist, however, the therapeutic vaccines work similar to the Shingles vaccine which yields good success. Further AIC 316 is on the edge of Phase III and is heralded as a vast improvement over Valtrex. Phase 3 is the Phase were efficacy and safety are studied simultaneously and over a larger population than in Phases 1 and 2. It costs more and takes longer. Hence, the petition to modify the FDA approval process.

I understand you being cynical based upon past outcomes. We can't change the past, but learn from it and hopefully the drug companies have. Further, we also need to ask ourselves what we can do to advance this research and do it... We can donate and petition the government to put some money behind it. That is our role in the process. We can "hope" the trials bear fruit and maybe they will. We need contingency plans in case they don't. That's where we need to remain active in the petitions, donations, etc... (ALL OF THIS IS MY OPINION ONLY AND MAY OR MAY NOT BE CORRECT)

Gothic Beauty

Once it enters phase III how much longer do you think it will take to be available to the public?

Dummy

MAYBE 2016 -2017 at best based on previous situations alike.. However I dont believe we the people know best.. Im willing to believe it could happen earlier.. you never know

donniebrasco

I hate to speculate, but I think they want to prove pritelivir is much more effective than valtrex so doctors will be inclined to prescribe it since it will be more expensive upon entering the market. I'll definitely ask for it, I don't care what it costs even though I'm asymptomatic. It has shown in testing at 75mg to reduce shedding to 2% over 28 days. That is one half of a day for a month. Excellent results. I can't wait to see the data on 100 mg.

fh12

This second phase 2 is to prove efficacy against Valtrex as donniebrasco stated above and I believe they are doing this to try and secure funding for phase 3 as they did with letermovir.

lovelyoptimistic

Balkans, yes. It is the formal.name for aic316

balkans
Balkans, yes. It is the formal.name for aic316

i saw that,and as i can understand it will hit european market in 2013?

is it effective for hsv2,or just hsv1?

EnglishGirl

Hi Balkans AIC 316 is for HSV 2 I believe. Where did you read it would be available in 2013? I bloody hope so!

Voyager2

According to the bar chart in the great link fh12 provided (in the other thread)

http://www.informedhorizons.com/hivdart2012/pdfs/presentations/RubsamenSchaeff.pdf

pritelivir (aic316) is poised to start phase 3. I think it will take less time than the GSK herpevac phase 3, which went on for years. They will simply be counting outbreaks (and shedding) over X months. I can't imagine them having any trouble recruiting. It would be even better if the powers that be in the US (FDA) and Europe fast track this drug like they did letermovir, but who knows.

jscl

So, from my understanding AIC316 has just started another phase II to compare it against Valtrex. So, its just a guess will they start a phase III while they are doing another phase II? I am praying they do.

Also, is there any possible cure out there being worked on that would potentially rid us of this virus? I thought i read a statement from Coridon at one time where it stated that if it worked it would be a cure... I'm unfamiliar with the B & T Cells if their is a vaccine that induces T cells does that mean it will eventually get the virus while its latent or just kill the virus when it becomes active and kills it before it can surface?

It sounds great to me if AIC-316 comes out this year in Europe BALKANS since you live there have you heard anything different than we have heard in the states?

Guess i will have to pray harder... Maybe if everyone talks to the big guy it will happen faster...

readytostart

I was wondering that maybe due to the good results of the aic316 phase II, maybe a long term therapy would weak the virus enough to not reproduce anymore...do you people think that would be possible?

I´m in Europe and I strongly hope this medicine to be released this year...one pill x week and no outbreaks is not the best scenario but very close....it´s been like 6 years living with this, I want to feel fine again...

fh12

I have not found any information yet on a Phase 3 start date for AIC316 or releasing earlier in Europe. I emailed them but I did not receive a response. I think CMX001 may remove the virus but it may be a very high risk drug as they are studying it only on people that are very very sick and have no other alternatives. It is a broad spectrum anti viral. I am hoping that any one of these discussed on this forum and in clinical trials makes it to the market soon even if out of the US.