World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
mailme1

Hi (first post)

mailme1

About a year ago I stupidly cross-infected myself (I must have been shedding) from my face to my genitals (obviously by hand) whilst shaving (down there), and have since suffered CONSTANTLY with GH1 (have tested Type 1 IgG positive) outbreaks (one a month for over a year now). It has changed my life in a way I never imagined.

During this time (since Aug 2011), I've not had any oral/facial sores - something I've always gotten regularly since I was a kid - until today...

I'd like to know if anyone knows if it is possible for the virus to move residence? i.e. from the sacral ganglion (genital region), to the trigeminal ganglion (facial region)? Is this at all plausible?

Can someone help?

Mutant

yes it is possible for you to spread it yourself although you will here people tell you that it is not likely but in truth it happens to a lot of people so you need to be careful because you can get it in your eyes and thats a lot worse. It can also happen on its own. Google "disseminated herpes" or "disseminated HSV-1" and here is a link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2807257/

The disseminated herpes is more rare. I only mentioned it because its possible and you should be fully educated about it. I have spread mine around my face by shaving.

Mutant

I may have misunderstood your question. If you meant could it leave one area such as genitals permanently and move back to oral then the answer is no. Once it gets in either area it is there forever. So if you have oral and genital then it is in both places forever.

I should also add that you may not have infected yourself. There are plenty of people out there with GHSV1 and you could have got it from one of them and never knew it or from oral sex with one of them.

mailme1

Thanks mrmm... The second answer was more in-line with what I was looking for. I guess my hope was that the virus would lay dormant in either the one (sacral) or other (trigeminal) ganglia, and only flare-up in one at a time...

My expereince is that from having 6 - 10 oral OB's per year for almost 31 years (I'm 36), to having NONE for more than a year - which neatly coincides with my genital OB's (which have been 1 or 2 monthly) since I cross-infected myself - persuaded me to believe that this may be the case.

All the signs point to me have self-infected - which is a shame I'm having severe trouble dealing with. I really feel like my life (at least my intimate/sex life) is over!

Mutant

I know how you feel. I think most of us do until we get married and no longer have to worry about it. Its not over though. You just got to find the right girl. Now if you still want to be single and wild and crazy then yeah that's a bit harder because you need to be careful not to infect others. Also, you dont want to run out and get HSV2 which is still very possible and maybe even easier for you since you so easily got cross infected. So keep that in mind and just practice safe sex. Nothing is really over though. You will adapt. :)

mailme1

Thanks again - I appreciate your encouragement... Happily my 'party days' are over, and I've been ready to settle down with the right girl for a while already, but it's really difficult to think that anyone will accept me with H, especially cause it's down there... Orally was bad enough, but now genitally, and so regularly?!?!? Good Lord, I really hope you're right!

Mutant

No problem. It just takes time for you to get comfortable with it and then it gets better. There are a lot of hsv dating sites now. You might check some of those out. Many will have GHSV1 but it seems most have GHSV2 but its more about finding the right girl rather than what type she has. If you find the right girl then nothing else matters.

Also, there are many hsv facebook groups too. I'm not sure what they are but you should be able to find some. I hear they can be better than the dating sites and are free.

mailme1

Thank you again! I agree with you - if I find 'the one', it really won't matter which H was applicable...

Sadly here in South Africa there's an exceedingly conservative mindset, and an often abusive-stigma associated with anoyone who has an STD- i.e. they got it because they did something wrong. There is also an incredulous lack of government funded education about H, how it is spread, the risks involved etc.... I say 'incredulous' because of the vary real (South/ern) African problem of, and link to HIV/Aids... Mind you, lesbians are still raped & murdered here just because the 'men' want to 'f**k their lesbianism' out of them... So I shouldn't really be surprised... Very sad. Put's my life into perspective!

Realistically, I think that dating sites catering for people with H, is a way off still - but I guess a FB group could always be started! Thanks again for the insight!