Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dsfwef23

HSV1 - when is a cold sore "healed enough" to kiss again?

6 posts in this topic

Hi,

My partner has a cold sore that seems to have healed almost completely (there is no scab or loose skin), but there is still a slightly darkened discoloration where the sore was. Is this healed enough to resume kissing and oral sex, or do we need to wait until all trace is gone? It's been about 3 weeks total since the sore appeared.

thanks!

I have the same, my outbreaks look like a mini misquto (however its spelled!) bump and i never get clusters of bumps just one at a time. I usually only get them at work because my job and the people I work with stress me out severly. Which is why i pop 3 500mg of "L-Lysine" (got it from cvs but amazon has some great one's with other good stuff for immune system) before work and so far so good. You guys should try taking 1 500 mg daily and up to 3 or 4 when that first tingle/ itching starts. when I do that It stops the ob in its tracks! But to answer your question, i would think its safe if the bumps are gone but you can still pass without ob with the shedding. The ones that have cleared up did leave what are similar to black heads for me, but ive had acne and blackheads like forever so even without putting make up on, its not something that ppl would take a second look at considering my blackheads and acne problem anyway. I would think a skin discoloration cream would help that though. Happy for you guys that you have one another and stick by eachother! That's a rare find for me

hello, my wife and i had an ob the same day lol. and we stoped kissing for three weeks from the initial outbreak to the end of it but we took an extra week of just to be sure. so it was a about 21 to 25 days give or take. in your case if you dont have it i would wait a full 30 days.

hello, my wife and i had an ob the same day lol. and we stoped kissing for three weeks from the initial outbreak to the end of it but we took an extra week of just to be sure. so it was a about 21 to 25 days give or take. in your case if you dont have it i would wait a full 30 days.

Hi, I know this is off-topic but if you both have cold sore outbreaks does that mean that you both have h? And if that's the case then are you contagious to each other? I'm very new to all this (diagnosed a week ago) and it might be a dumb question but I'm just trying to figure out certain golden rules!

Hi, there are no dumb questions here its good to be as imformed as possible to prevent aditional transmission. Yes we noth have oral hsv1 now that we both have it if i get an ob and dont cathch it on time i could give her an ob from skin to skin. But my ob might be mild enoutht to not pass it. Like the other day i had one on my gum line her and i still kised but not make out and she didnt get an ob. While there are no obs you are not contagious maybe about 5% of the year. If you and your patner have it just looo for the signs to prevent tye other person from having an ob. No another thing to consider is if he/she doesnt have it at all you have to be especially carefull to not pass it on at all you can still have a verry verry normal life we bth dont have it in our genitals and have had it for about three years and yes it can be passed on to the genital area so be carefull. Best of luck.

You can't catch what you already have. If both partners are already positive for hsv1 you can kiss when it's mutually agreeable. Never known kissing to cause an ob....nor has intercourse ever caused an ob of my or my partners hsv2, at least not conclusively.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Latest Buzz

• Maybe1day
      He just might deliver on the preventative vaccine. Good for him and everyone else. Glad he stuck with it.
    • throwawaynyc
      another doctor is on board, great, now to get the 99 percent of other doctors on board. Halford made a post stating the following. Seems promising.   " the upcoming Oct 13 conference and associated announcements will not disappoint. I am placing my 25-year reputation in the herpes field on the line by declaring this in an open forum, so you can make of that what you will regarding how deadly serious I am. My promise to everyone is simple: your 3+ years of patience in following my blogs will be rewarded in the coming weeks. – Bill H. " 
    • Cal56
      Hi, I have herpes 1 on my anus, nose and lips. I believe the HSV 1 virus reactivated during HCV therapy with immune suppressing drugs. That was  5 years ago and the herpes virus is debilitating me to the point where I am on permanent pain killers and cannot work. Actually cannot sit up for long because of neuralgia pain in between shoulders at that bony bit that sticks out at the area where the spine hits the shoulders. That area is  numb. I also have peripheral neuropathy, malaise and urine retention, as well as skin splitting open randomly. I have not had an OB on my vagina (yet). I cleared my HCV last year in a second successful attempt (hooray) but it was gruelling and resulted in the OB on my anus and subsequent diagnosis of HSV 1 from a scarping of the sore. It's been unremarkable since that first OB on my  anus until I think I got another one. (I identified it with a mirror myself, it looked like a sore). My immunologist put me on Valtrex and for a brief moment I was healthier than I had been in years. The perpetual sores in my nose cleared, my pain went and I was able to sit up for ages. Until the horrible side  effects set in. My hair was falling out, I became aggressive and impatient, I had trouble taking a breathe, I felt shaky and nauseous. My nervous system went mad, crawling skin, painful skin, brain fog and numbness. I stopped the drug. I have now started on one Favir 125mg every second day to start, building up the dose slowly. I am not hopeful of being able to stay on it. It's only slightly different to Valtrex, both being polymerase inhibitors. I had them for a year previously on HCV medication. I have also ordered some L Lysine and will take 1000mg at least of that daily as well. I am so worried now, I need the drugs to work, so I can have my Quality of life back. I need also to look after my 2 sons, one is disabled and high heeds. I am going to wean myself on very slowly this time. I just need some strong advice and caring support. No one believes me that HSV 1 could make me so ill. But it has and the Valtrex experiment proves it! Thanks for reading my rant.
    • WilsoInAus
      Note that I mean antivirals and not antibiotics.  Have you had a swab and/or blood tests? What were the results?
    • Maybe1day
      I guess it's good coming from this author, since hes familiar with the field. Sounds like it's just based on what he heard from halford though. 
    • Free73
      I don't mean to be dismissive of your concerns, but life will smash you if stuff like this plagues you for 12 months. Chances are high at some point that you will contract some form of herpes in your lifetime. But for a sore throat to give you anxiety for 12 months is crazy. Relax and live your life
    • Jojo7991
      I recently noticed a couple of white sores around my vagina. They started to spread and some bumps developed too. I went to the gynecologist and she VISUALLY diagnosed me with herpes. She also did a swab and I'm waiting on those results. My boyfriend also just got a blood test done. He has never noticed symptoms. He just told me today his test is negative for everything. I lost my virginity to him and a couple of weeks after we first had sex, I had a flu-like sickness that lingered for almost two weeks. I just now had an outbreak on my vaginal area. He has had sex with 7 other girls. I performed oral sex on a guy three years ago but that's all I have ever done expect for kissing. I've never had genital to genital contact with anyone except my current boyfriend. Do you think I was misdiagnosed or his test was wrong? Or I somehow contracted genital herpes without having intercourse? Could he have had sex with someone who has herpes just recently and it didn't show up on his blood test? He is mad at me and ignoring me and I'm absolutely miserable.
    • Free73
      Some life advice.....you need to chill out and relax. Life will throw all sorts of curve balls at you and if you freak out every time, you will go to an early grave. I have herpes on my di*k and it's still not the end of the world. So relax!!
    • Seeker1960
      Hi T.T., Sorry about your diagnosis. You are going through the initial stage of shock and grief. As you research and ask questions you will gradually move to acceptance and how to have a happy life despite H. It takes a little time to get there but you will get there. So today you may cry and feel sad but tomrrow you will smile again and be happy again and even laugh. Don't let the negative get to you. This is a virus that millions have and live with. You are still the person you were before this. The best you is still developing.  You have plenty of people here who can offer you support, understanding and friendship. Hang in there Teacher! 
    • WilsoInAus
      The main reason is the extensive array of nerve endings so close to the surface of the skin that occurs within a mucous area such as the vagina. The virus needs to live and find a nerve ending and the vagina is much more suited to this than the penis!
  • Featured