World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Sign in to follow this  
MissAnonymiss

Has anyone had a physical change in appearance as a result of herpes?

MissAnonymiss

I always heard herpes didn't scar you, but instead would only come and go depending on when you had an outbreak or not. I took that as once the outbreak went away you would look perfectly healthy and the same as before.

In my case, I unfortunately now have a part of my labia that is literally split in half after my first outbreak occurred (and now reoccurs). It is really not noticeable at all (my boyfriend doesn't see it, it's pretty minuscule) but it's obviously a change I never had before...and it sickens me. I forever have to worry about how I no longer look the same down there on top of feeling the way I do now!

Also not sure if it's unrelated but I have chronic chapped lips. I haven't noticed any sores in my mouth, but is that possibly a symptom of oral herpes? No matter what I do I can't seem to get them normal again either. I tend to just hide it with lipstick and lipgloss so nobody notices.

Just really insecure about all of this. Anyone else have anything similar? I hate feeling so alone. :(

Createss Galore

It Seems That The OBs Do Change Some Tissue & Skin

Hi! I have ocular herpes outbreaks that start on my left bottom eye lid, at the outer corner, where the lashes are. Since I had the first OB years ago, the tissue on the top ridge of that lid no longer looks the same as the other bottom lid. You can't tell, but I can tell. It never really shrunk completely back to the original thin line. It's a little fatter now but doesn't make a difference. And one of my eyes have always been smaller than the other, lol.

I think it's possible that the cold sore virus, whether you've ever had OBs on your lip or not, could cause lip peeling. I did not have a cold sore OB until 2-3 yrs ago, but I've had H for 25 years. When I think back over the years before I had my first cold sore, I did begin to have almost continuous lip peeling. Like you, it wasn't noticeable and I never had an OB that I could see, nor swelling of my lip.

When I did have a cold sore OB about 2-2 1/2 yrs ago, I know now that it was caused by a combination of severe stress on a job, discouragement from that, and ridiculous overeating of corn tortilla chips. Those things caused me to have my first cold sore on my bottom lip near the center, when I'd never had one in the 25 yrs that I've had H. I've never had a sore or blister on my face near my lip like I see on the cold sore commercials.

My first OB was a lot of swelling and peeling around a single spot, with a little cracking. I just didn't know it was a cold sore and I kept wearing my lipstick and stuff. I didn't think it could be seen until weeks after I had it when I noticed how people were treating me with disdain. It was pretty terrible and I was confused about why my lip was peeling so badly. Since I didn't suspect what was happening, I probably was still eating corn tortilla chips like crazy. The situation at that former job got worse and worse as my co-workers took it as an opportunity to harass and ostracize me. I ended up quitting that job and returning to FL, only to have a similar thing happen to me this past October. That was a temp job and the treatment wasn't as severe as the previous one, but it was bad enough that I did quit a week before it ended.

My cold sore OBs have lessened in severity, and I take supplements (OTC), work on calming myself when I feel my emotions escalating, and work on eating less foods with a high arginine count. But there seems to always be various degrees of light swelling in the center, and if it goes away completely, it's not for long, like a day or two.

There is an incredible amount of stuff to deal with isn't there?:cry: I hope this helps you and that you do not have HSV1.:flowers: Take care.

MissAnonymiss

God bless you and thank you for the post. That is kind of what happened to me... my labia minora is split in half on the side I get the outbreak. It looks like just a tiny thin line through it when it heals but it really bugs me. It looks thicker too.

My lips I think are going through something similar with the cracking in one place. I'm starting to wonder if I have it orally now too. :( Well I need to hang in there. It makes me feel really good not to be alone with how I'm feeling and what I'm going through.

diamondgirl

Hi! I have ocular herpes. I have no other kind of herpes so I can't comment on that but I'm so sorry to hear of a permanent change in such a place! I wonder if there's some sort of surgery to help? Has a doctor given you any options? My ocular herpes has permanently changed the way I look to the world. The eye is permanently a little red and it bugs out a bit. The lids are discolored and sometimes I look really bruised, like someone hit me in the eye. The eye looks glassy and in bright light people can see that my cornea is permanently foggy. I've had comments and weird looks. I've been asked if I've been hit. I was completely unable to wear eye makeup for over 2 years, until the eye became stable. Now I can wear limited eye makeup but it still looks weird. Herpes has changed how the world sees me when they look at my face. Mostly I try to forget it, but then if I look in a mirror or at a photograph I can see how bad it looks to others. At this point, with no cure coming soon for ocular herpes, I just put on a brave face and hope I don't run into anyone I used to know. All my friends and family know and they don't care. Strangers may see it as a weird thing but it's hardest when I run into people I haven't seen since before the ocular herpes. Then they look at me funny because I don't look like they remembered. But it's gotten better over time, mostly because I've gotten a thicker skin, and also since I've been in remission it looks less dramatic than when I was having outbreaks. I hope you can find some hope and healing with a doctor who can help you. And if your current doctor can't, maybe another can. Keep me posted, and good luck!

Createss Galore
Hi! I have ocular herpes.....My ocular herpes has permanently changed the way I look to the world. The eye is permanently a little red and it bugs out a bit. The lids are discolored and sometimes I look really bruised, like someone hit me in the eye. The eye looks glassy and in bright light people can see that my cornea is permanently foggy....

Diamondgirl, I'm so sorry to hear about this. I know that an ocular OB can cause severe and permanent damage. The first time I had it I did go to the doctor. He did not say anything about it being ocular H, but it was so many years ago that maybe he did. He gave me some ointment to use on a schedule. I did not tell him that I had H because I didn't see any reason to. I did not connect the two.

Years later I realized that was what I had, not pink eye, a general eye infection, etc. I haven't been to the doctor about it anymore because I just don't have the money. I just care for myself with common sense when I have an ocular OB. I pray and when it ends, I am always grateful that there's no severe damage. I know that it can easily happen to me.

You are so strong, but I can feel your emotional pain in your writing. I have been through so much too, even though so far my ocular OBs have not had the physical alteration on me that yours has. But we all suffer so much. I'm glad you shared it here, and I'm so glad to be here.

diamondgirl

Thanks for your kind words, Createss Galore! It's strange to think that a virus has brought so many people together, people with wildly different lives, stories and outlooks. I often consider having herpes (no matter what form) like belonging to a club no one wanted to join. Yet here we are, and this forum has been immensely helpful to me. I'm just glad I'm not alone. In my everyday world, I am alone. I don't know a single person with ocular herpes, and only a rare few that get cold sores. So I'm glad to "talk" to others who are understanding and non-judgmental. And I felt so bad for you when I read about how you were treated at work...coworkers can be pretty rough to deal with sometimes. I really don't understand why a coworker would be so mean...after all, nearly everyone has something in their lives to deal with. I once read a quote (I don't remember who said it) that went something like this: "Be kind, for everyone is fighting some sort of battle in their lives." So I often wonder why people can't just be kind! It doesn't cost them anything, for heaven sakes! I hope you are doing okay now, and that you now have a job where everyone is kind. Keep me posted, and good luck!

Createss Galore
God bless you and thank you for the post....It looks thicker too.

My lips I think are going through something similar with the cracking in one place. I'm starting to wonder if I have it orally now too. :( Well I need to hang in there. It makes me feel really good not to be alone with how I'm feeling and what I'm going through.

MissAnonymiss, if it's not one thing, it's another isn't it? For me, at 55, I'm dealing with menopause, hot flashes, etc., etc. :roll: Loss of collagen in my lips do not help the peeling from HSV1. Hot flashes can cause OBs. What a mess. But life is good, isn't it.

We can come here and talk :call: , and we can weep :cry: , and we can rage :motz:, but raging brings on OBs remember. Most of all we can help each other to laugh :harharhar: , which is good for the body, soul and spirit. It's no laughing matter when we go out into that world, but here it doesn't seem so bad, for a while :| .

I try to keep in mind that no matter what my condition, no matter what the changes, that someone will love me for who I am. I may be discouraged and having to face the changes, scars, swelling etc. everyday may just be a reminder of HSV, but it won't matter to a special friend like me, when I find him :knuddel:. There's always hope. So you be encouraged. If you already have someone, STILL be encouraged!

Createss Galore
Thanks for your kind words, Createss Galore! It's strange to think that a virus has brought so many people together, people with wildly different lives, stories and outlooks. I often consider having herpes (no matter what form) like belonging to a club no one wanted to join.... And I felt so bad for you when I read about how you were treated at work...coworkers can be pretty rough to deal with sometimes....I hope you are doing okay now, and that you now have a job where everyone is kind. Keep me posted, and good luck!

Well my temporary job ended in October, but I'm now back in school pt, since Jan. 7-May. For a number of reasons pt, temporary work works out best for me. I'm also always advancing my art, writing and craft e-commerce, and seeking freelance work.

Currently me, my 74 yo mom and my 35 yo son live together and split the bills, so we're all helping each other out, lol. Thanks for asking about my working situation. Now that I've started to have the cold sore problems it has changed my work life a lot, but that has been changing since my 40s really, before I started have the cold sore OBs.

I know that there's more for me than working 40 hrs a week, anyway, and have known that for some time. So now my hope and faith is towards that end, and the cold sore OBs really aid me in not continuing to fall back on permanent jobs. It's easy to keep falling back on and relying on things that we don't like. It keeps us from making the things that we really want to happen. We keep going back in :selfdestruct:, instead of finding a way out of what we hate in our lives. Well, H can be used to spur us on to do some things that we've always wanted to do, and to even find someone to enjoy it with, don't you think? It's really like other challenges that appear in our lives, and that will never go away. If they never go away, they can always then be a source of strength and profound experience. I know though, that the pain can often eclipse this.

diamondgirl

I'm glad you have a family network where you all can take care of each other, in a way. You have something money can't buy! I'm extremely fortunate to be able to work from home, part time. And my boss knows and is perfectly okay with my condition. It's true that I have much to be thankful for, although I have to admit I could do WITHOUT this particular challenge of ocular herpes. I could eventually go blind from it, or even get alzheimers, so I'm trying to enjoy even the smaller things. Someday I may not be able to, so I try and remember what a precious gift TODAY is. One thing having ocular herpes has given me is a greater sense of empathy for others and their suffering and/or worries. I relate better to those who have gone through some rough experiences than I used to, and that is a true gift. Because it takes me outside of myself and my own concerns. And maybe by empathizing with them, I can lift their spirits a little. When I'm able to help someone see the bright side of something, or make them laugh, I'm lifting myself up along with them. So ocular herpes has taught me something that maybe I couldn't have learned any other way. And that's a good thing!

Createss Galore
I'm glad you have a family network where you all can take care of each other, in a way....

Yes, it is something to be thankful for. Of course my mom is not an invalid, but she IS a 74 yo retiree, living on a meager SS income, and needs some help and overseeing, so she has me. I'm the child who's available for her to live with. And with my son here it helps us all financially, until we can afford to separate our living circumstances.

But I don't want you to misunderstand...I don't talk to them about H, so I am alone within my family. When I have an ocular OB, or my lip swells, I just don't talk about why, and let it be believed to be a general type of infection or inflammation. They notice, and whatever they think they don't ask. It's easier for me to not talk to any family members at all about it. So I have a family support network, so to speak, just not support for H.

But this is my family and my real support network, here at HCSN, and anywhere else where there are survivors.

diamondgirl

After reading your post, I first thought that it was sad that you had to suffer alone at home, but then I realized that actually you are probably doing your family a great service by not giving them such a thing as this to worry about. Because they would worry! And what would that accomplish? I know that my family worries about my ocular herpes; in fact, it has affected their lives immeasurably. I can't go anywhere with them where I might get too much sun exposure, I can no longer eat certain foods, I can't see well...during outbreaks my vision was so bad my kids would read things for me at the supermarket, like expiration dates, prices, etc. Or they would say, "Hey, look at this!" and I wouldn't be able to make out any details. I have inadvertently caused them so much worry, but they asked what was happening to me and I told them. So I'm glad your family doesn't know the particulars and that they don't ask, because they would worry so much about you. My parents are 75 and worry so much about me that my dad drives me a 40 mile round trip to all my eye doctor appointments so that he can get the news as soon as I do about my current condition. I hate that my parents worry about it, but they asked and I told them what was happening. And they are expert worriers, so I've caused a lot of stress in their lives they didn't need. I'm quite sure your family is better off the way it is, because you don't have to relive anything H related with them. You can just focus on all the other things you have going on in your life (mostly positive, I hope!). I hope you're having a good day today...keep me posted!

Createss Galore
After reading your post, I first thought that it was sad that you had to suffer alone at home, but then I realized that actually you are probably doing your family a great service by not giving them such a thing as this to worry about. Because they would worry! And what would that accomplish?

And you know that it's not like I'm the only one in my family who has HSV, or any other STD. With as many people who have it in the world, I doubt it. It's just something we don't talk about in my family. But you know, we don't talk about ANYTHING in my family, lol! My mother was once making comments to me about her sister, my aunt, having cold sores/fever blisters in high school. That was years ago when I wasn't able to connect what she was saying to HSV, though I had it. And it wasn't said with compassion either. Enough of that. Don't want to digress into dysfunctional family dynamics.

Stigma is only an issue when there is an outward indication that you have a condition. I had HSV-2 OBs for 25 yrs, and like everyone who is thankful not to have HSV-1, I couldn't imagine having to live with that. Genital OBs are hidden, and enough to deal with. But cold sores? I always thanked God and my lucky stars above that I wasn't cursed with that!

Then the unthinkable happened. I had a massive cold sore 2 years ago. It would seem that my life went from bad to worse. Honestly I've dealt with so much strife all of my life that I didn't even miss a beat, as far as fighting and planning.

But you know, DiamondGirl, I have have ocular HSV OBs every 2-3 years, but didn't know that was what it was. Having a patch over your eye, or a bandage does not carry with it the same stigma as cold sores, but they're both facial HSV.

I can imagine how hard it must have been for your parents, because of their advanced age, and for you to tell them too. I'm glad you have them to rely on. But I know that whenever your father drives you to your eye doctor, you must wish it had never happened. My situation, it's working out best for me as it is. So we both have our own kind of support as we deal with this unhappy circumstance.

It's unfortunate that we feel that we cause difficulties in the lives of others because what has happened to us. You feel that you've caused stress in your family, and I feel that I've caused embarrassment if I'm with a family member and someone in public looks at my lip and judges what I have and may treat my family member with disdain, just as they do me.:(

diamondgirl

Every family has its own dynamics, that's for sure!! I feel sad reading about how you worry that a member of your family would be treated poorly because of a visible outbreak on you (as if you could help it!). And I feel sad that they would treat you that way. You are a human being just like them, for heavens sake! It bothers me that people are judgmental about a situation they know nothing about. Or they suppose they know. But to be sure, there's a type of person out there who loves scandalous drama and if they don't have enough of it in their life, they create something in their heads about someone else. These are the type of people I try to give no heed to, though it's hard. No matter how we caught the herpes virus, we (and our family members) should be treated with respect, kindness, and forgiveness if need be. Someone I thought highly of once called my house when I first got ocular herpes to tell me how to disinfect my house. I suddenly realized this person (who had never been to my home) thought I lived in a filthy place. I don't, but even if I did, you don't get herpes from dishes in the sink or dusty furniture. How often do you get facial outbreaks? Do you take any antivirals? If not, perhaps they would help. What have you tried? (I have missed some of your early posts, so maybe those answers are there.) I hope you are having a good day. Keep me posted!

Createss Galore

Terrified Scandalous Drama Makers

Every family has its own dynamics, that's for sure!! I feel sad reading about how you worry that a member of your family would be treated poorly because of a visible outbreak on you (as if you could help it!). And I feel sad that they would treat you that way. You are a human being just like them, for heavens sake! It bothers me that people are judgmental about a situation they know nothing about. Or they suppose they know. But to be sure, there's a type of person out there who loves scandalous drama and if they don't have enough of it in their life, they create something in their heads about someone else. These are the type of people I try to give no heed to, though it's hard. No matter how we caught the herpes virus, we (and our family members) should be treated with respect, kindness, and forgiveness if need be. Someone I thought highly of once called my house when I first got ocular herpes to tell me how to disinfect my house. I suddenly realized this person (who had never been to my home) thought I lived in a filthy place. I don't, but even if I did, you don't get herpes from dishes in the sink or dusty furniture. How often do you get facial outbreaks? Do you take any antivirals? If not, perhaps they would help. What have you tried? (I have missed some of your early posts, so maybe those answers are there.) I hope you are having a good day. Keep me posted!

It's the same way as people who are deformed or mentally challenged are treated by some. The ridiciule, the laughter, the disdain. And then there's the mob mentality, joining together against one person, or a group of people. Some feel that if they join in, in attitude or mistreatment, of others, it will keep the focus off of them. It's really a juvenile and immature way of treating those who are not like them.

It's very easy for those who like scandalous drama to want to stereotype those with STDs. But we know the real story (though it doesn't really help in times of distress), those who protest and harrass the loudest possibly have an STD or are close to someone who does. They want others to believe that they don't know anything about that type of thing.:laugh:

I guess some people are really terrified of being next to someone who has it, because they've heard or read of how contagious it is. When I think about that it does at times help me to go through my persecution a little easier. It still hurts though. My whole life has hurt from time to time. :???:

I don't have ocular OBs but about once per year. Genital OBs once to twice per year. My problem with cold sores is not frequent. I do deal constantly with annoying peeling on my lips, and an increasing/decreasing puffiness in the center of my bottom lip. My OBs are not nearly as bad as some have to deal with though.

I care for myself with :nurse:OTC creams, ointments, vitamins and supplements, and anything else holistic or natural that I can work with. I cannot afford antivirals and I would really rather not take them since my OBs are not closely recurring or severe. When I can afford them, I may reconsider it for the ocular/cold sore problems since they're more obvious than the genital. And of course the ocular is so dangerous, as we've been discussing. But I'm doing okay w/o antivirals for now.

Being a 25-year-H-vet ;) makes a difference in severity. Now that I know about diet I work on eliminating or reducing trigger foods. I work to keep my emotions in check, to stay calm.

Createss Galore
put st worth's oil on the scar. It help for the new skin ;)

It's called St. Worth's oil? Are you saying put it on any scar (except near the eyes of course)? Are you saying it's good for cold sores? Where do you buy yours?

pollyanna1
It's called St. Worth's oil? Are you saying put it on any scar (except near the eyes of course)? Are you saying it's good for cold sores? Where do you buy yours?

It heals every scar also you can use near the eyes :) My granny broke his arm last summer and we used for her stitches and doctor was shock how fast it heal.. I use for my OB's on my vagina it helps alot. and you can find anywhere online or food stores

Createss Galore
It heals every scar also you can use near the eyes :) My granny broke his arm last summer and we used for her stitches and doctor was shock how fast it heal.. I use for my OB's on my vagina it helps alot. and you can find anywhere online or food stores

You know, I vaguely remember hearing of it a long time ago, but what I heard wasn't associated with HSV. At first I thought you were saying St. John's Wort. When I saw what you were really saying, I remember the name. Thanks for info. Will plan to research.

pollyanna1

If you find the original weed of st johns worht put in olive oil and wait 2-3 days an apply on scar it will be more effective than buy from drug store ;)