World's Largest Herpes Support Group
Infectedat60

Anyone 60 and just get infected?

Infectedat60

My doctor said that my age is the reason I have been having constant (8) outbreaks since I was diagnosed in August of 2012. And the nerve pain running down from my hip and buttock all the way to my foot is intolerable. My doctor said that my immune system just can't fight this virus back. I am now on 4 grams valtrex for a day, and then she wants me on 1 gram everyday for the rest of my life. The man who deliberately gave this to me says he's sorry, but asked me to find another place to live after I was diagnosed, which I did. He said that just because he gave me herpes, he doesn't feel he needs to take care of me the rest of his life. I would very much like to not be alive. Has anyone else had such an extreme case because of being infected at an older age?

ICherri

Hi..

I am not older but it may also have to do wit.other health problems as well. As we age we have to really be on top of eating right and being healthy to keep ur immune system healthy.

The real reason I responded was my outrage of the attitude of the man who passed this on to u. No he doesnt have to take care of u but he could express a sense of compassion for what.hes done!!!

God Bless u and I will pray for some relief to ur pain

Number7
My doctor said that my age is the reason I have been having constant (8) outbreaks since I was diagnosed in August of 2012. And the nerve pain running down from my hip and buttock all the way to my foot is intolerable. My doctor said that my immune system just can't fight this virus back. I am now on 4 grams valtrex for a day, and then she wants me on 1 gram everyday for the rest of my life. The man who deliberately gave this to me says he's sorry, but asked me to find another place to live after I was diagnosed, which I did. He said that just because he gave me herpes, he doesn't feel he needs to take care of me the rest of his life. I would very much like to not be alive. Has anyone else had such an extreme case because of being infected at an older age?

How were you diagnosed? Were you tested for both viruses - hsv1 as well as hsv2?

I am 55 and acquired it a couple of years ago. It was pretty bad at first but through the years (and the buildup of antibodies) it has gotten less severe. Not sure your if your doctor truly has a lot of knowledge about this virus----most don't.

Infectedat60

Thanks for your response. What surprised me is that I am vegetarian/vegan, and am extremely careful about what I do and do not eat, and also take vitamins and supplements, swim laps and do yoga. Of course, I'm talking about the past here, because I've been so sick since August, that some days I'm just lucky to get out of bed. My doctor said she had never in her entire life, seen such a bad case of primary herpes. They initially wanted to hospitalize me, and instead, I went in every other day for a week for them to check on me. I then developed a bad kidney infection because my urethra was blocked from the herpes. Some days i can hardly walk from the nerve pain running down my thigh. I had a happy life before, and now all my life is about is getting out of pain.

Infectedat60

I was diagnosed by a swab, which came back positive for HSV2. I am certain I have herpes on my face and nose as well, and get constant tingling on my lip, though I've never had any sore there. But the tingling is almost constant, and the sores on the side of my nose come every time I have a genital outbreak, so I asked to be blood tested for both. I was stunned to learn, just today, in fact just a few minutes ago I got online and the results were in-- that I do not test positive for HSV1. This is completely devastating to me, because now I'm left with knowing I must have HSV2 on my face. Which means I can never kiss anyone again, but without anything to swab--my doctor dismissed the nose blisters as eczema--I won't know this for certain.

MsLucy

I was about 57 when I was diagnosed about 5 years ago, and I'm quite familiar with the nerve pain you're talking about. Mine used to go from my butt to the bottoms of my feet. It hurt to walk, and since I work on my feet, it was such a joy (not :(). It even hurt for my clothes to brush against my skin.

I really don't know why your initial ob is lasting so long, but I can tell you, the pain does subside in time. The only time I get it now is for a day or two when the virus is active or prior to an ob. I don't get a lot of obs anymore, and sometimes it just goes away after a day and nothing else happens.

I think your dr blaming all this on your age is bullshit, though. Granted, if menopause is still an issue for you, it may have something to do with hormone imbalance, but other than that, there's no logic to her rationalization. Our immune systems don't quit working simply because we've past the 60 mark. It sounds to me as if she has no idea why you're suffering so much, and is too disinterested to thoroughly investigate the cause, so the easy way out is to tell you you're immune system is too old to deal. That's crap. Have you had your hormone levels checked? They can play a part in all this.

As for the tingling on your lip, I've gotten that too, but my partner has both types (gets cold sores, but never any genital symptoms... I get those.. yippee! :hmpf:) so I'm sure I've got it orally. The thing is, I get the tingles, but never an ob, so I guess my antibodies are taking care of that. If I were you, I'd have to wonder if what was breaking out on my nose was actually a herpes ob, or something else due to the stress on your immune system from the ob. After all, exzema is an auto-immune disorder.

I also developed exzema when I got herpes (which is not unusual at all) on my face, naturally (another yippee!... :hmpf:), but after having it drive me crazy for over a year, I started using Neosporin Exzema, and it works GREAT. The exzema doesn't bother me at all anymore, so you might want to try that and see if it helps. Make sure it's the Neosporin Exzema, not regular Neosporin, though. If it helps, you'll know it's exzema and not herpes. Use it every day, even if you don't have any symptoms.

I do hope you get some relief soon. Once you get through this (and you will get through it), I'm betting that your obs become less severe as time passes, and the nerve pain subsides substantially. Even at my advanced (joking) age, my body is dealing with it quite well, and my ancient immune system seems to be cranking right along... despite the fact that I smoke, eat fried food, drink buckets of coffee, use artificial sweetner in everything, and consume copious amounts of suger. I could be the poster child for all the things you shouldn't do if you have herpes.

You know when the turning point was for me? When I stopped fighting it, accepted it, and yes... embraced it for what it is. In a way, I think the stress we cause for ourselves by struggling against it so hard is counter-productive. Since I developed the 'whatever' attitude about it, the only time I get an ob is if I get really emotionally upset over something else... I mean manic, raging, over-the-edge upset. And, when I get that upset, it upsets 'them'.

You'll find your balance again. You'll find your 'normal'. In the meantime, as hard (and maybe impossible) as it sounds, try to relax and not let all this upset you too much. It's like getting a new room-mate... you both have to set your boundaries, find your common ground, and make your compromises in order to get along. You will. It just takes time.

Infectedat60

Thank you MsLucy. I would very much like to calm down. I was actually living with the man who deliberately infected me, and when I began to question him, he asked me to leave. I then learned from his previous girlfriend that he had been infected for 34 years, and had warned her and kept her safe for a year and a half. I am suing him. I might be just as devastated from the cruel and deliberate betrayal as from the herpes. I was madly in love with this man. He lied about having them, and continued to weave a web of deceit that made me so crazy that I started having anxiety attacks. And then, four days before my birthday, he yelled that just because he gave me herpes doesn't mean he has to take care of me the rest of his life, and asked me to move out. I was contributing to the household financially, so it wasn't as if I were financially dependent on him. He is just a twisted monster. Yes, perhaps it isn't my age at all, but what this monster has done to me...

Cymenthy

I am so sorry for you pain, both physical and emotional. What a jerk! I am over 60, diagnosed in October. My first ob was horrific! The second one not as bad. When I started the Valtrex, things imporved greatly. I have lots of other physical problems, and my immune system is not good, but I don't think that has made the herpes any worse. My doctor never mentioned this to me. As we get older, the first thing the medical profession does is try and blame everything on age. That way if they can't help us they can say that there is no cure for old age. My heart doctor told me that I was not ill because of my age, but because of medical issues. (one of my favorite docs). You are better off without this creep, but I know it still hurts, and love does not just dissolve. Everyone tells me that time helps, so I guess we all have to just take a deep breath and live one day at a time. Good luck

GntiNh

Hi and welcome. There are a few members in your age group.

H is an emotional rollercoaster and I hope the site is useful for you and you get some relief soon x

Number7

Infectedat60

I also do not have hsv1 -- I believe this is why you are having more noticeable o/b's. I believe I also acquired hsv2 orally as I will sometimes have the tingling on the corner of my mouth with a small bump.---never had that before acquiring hsv2. I remember with my initial o/b having a sore throat and swollen lymph nodes as well as all of the other initial symptoms. Hopefully, as your body builds antibodies your o/b's will get less and less.

I remember thinking---just when I didn't have to deal the monthly periods anymore-----now this. It does get better. Educate yourself as much as you can about this virus so you can educate your next partner about how common it really is.

Infectedat60

Thanks for your response. Sorry for your problems... I just have the almost constant tingling on my lips, but never had any sore. The stuff around my nose, my doctors says is eczema, and, when I just took 4grams valtrex, the rash didn't get any better, so now I believe her about my nose, but why in the world would I get constant lip tingling everytime I get a genital ob if I didn't have HSV2 orally is my thinking. Am so freaked out about this that I won't even kiss relatives on the cheek anymore, or share a glass of water. And, curiously enough, my ex had both 1 and 2, and we kissed like teenagers and shared glasses of water, so how could I not have gotten 1??

Number7
Thanks for your response. Sorry for your problems... I just have the almost constant tingling on my lips, but never had any sore. The stuff around my nose, my doctors says is eczema, and, when I just took 4grams valtrex, the rash didn't get any better, so now I believe her about my nose, but why in the world would I get constant lip tingling everytime I get a genital ob if I didn't have HSV2 orally is my thinking. Am so freaked out about this that I won't even kiss relatives on the cheek anymore, or share a glass of water. And, curiously enough, my ex had both 1 and 2, and we kissed like teenagers and shared glasses of water, so how could I not have gotten 1??

That's a good question although the testing company actually does admit that the igg testing is not quite as accurate for testing hsv1 as it is hsv2. The tingling could be 2 also but not going into a full outbreak. In the beginning few months I even had this tingling on my calf and breast bone - a little sore came out in each place. This has not happened again---thankfully.

They (the experts) say that hsv2 orally is rare.

Infectedat60

So maybe I just need to calm down. Since August, when I had what my doctor said was the worst primary outbreak she had ever seen in her life, I have felt more like I AM herpes rather than that I have herpes. The first two antivirals caused terrible rashes all over my body. I think I might be hysterical, but in a quiet way, if you know what I mean. But I still don't feel that I can kiss someone until I am 100% certain that it is not oral HSV2. And, without any sore to swab, and just tingling, how will I ever know?

Number7
So maybe I just need to calm down. Since August, when I had what my doctor said was the worst primary outbreak she had ever seen in her life, I have felt more like I AM herpes rather than that I have herpes. The first two antivirals caused terrible rashes all over my body. I think I might be hysterical, but in a quiet way, if you know what I mean. But I still don't feel that I can kiss someone until I am 100% certain that it is not oral HSV2. And, without any sore to swab, and just tingling, how will I ever know?

That's it--unless you have something to swab--you won't know.

Hopefully your outbreaks will get less and less. What anti-virals have you tried?

warmth60

64 and just been diagnosed. It's hell and when I call my primary care physician's office with questions she would put me on hold and then finally told me to finish my med (Valacyclovir). Also told me to get a hobby.

Very hurtful. I think I will schedule an appointment with a gynocologist that lists as one of her specialties STDs.

Createss Galore

64 and just been diagnosed. It's hell and when I call my primary care physician's office with questions she would put me on hold and then finally told me to finish my med (Valacyclovir). Also told me to get a hobby.

Very hurtful. I think I will schedule an appointment with a gynocologist that lists as one of her specialties STDs.

I'm sorry that you experienced that. Have you found a gyno that specializes?

Being@Peace

hi, I'm 54 and recently diagnosed Sept 10.. I been having mixed emotions since. I do research about it , I cried, and then I find myself not even thinking about it. Ive accepted this will be the rest of my life, my choice to to take care of myself even more than I have before. I told the person the truth, right after I found out and I have had another test(labs) which confirmed it. when I told the man, he was nice to me however, he said he wasn't going to get tested. I thought that was strange. Anyway, I am going to live my life the best way I can and hope being on this site will add to my happiness.

Createss Galore

hi, I'm 54 and recently diagnosed Sept 10.. I been having mixed emotions since. I do research about it , I cried, and then I find myself not even thinking about it. Ive accepted this will be the rest of my life, my choice to to take care of myself even more than I have before. I told the person the truth, right after I found out and I have had another test(labs) which confirmed it. when I told the man, he was nice to me however, he said he wasn't going to get tested. I thought that was strange. Anyway, I am going to live my life the best way I can and hope being on this site will add to my happiness.

I'm sorry about your diagnosis. You sound like a very strong person. You're going to be just fine. Yes, Honeycomb will add to your happiness with the info that is available and the encouragement that you will receive. Too bad that that person chose not to get tested. I can think of a number of possible reasons why. Non of them good . But anyway, as you said life goes on, and on, and on...to good things!   Glad you had a good cry and released all of that. You're going to be very successful and an inspiration to lots of people. I'll see you around and if you write, consider sharing poetry or something at the Poetry Corner in the Coping forums.

anniepea

hi, thought I would come to share my story. Anyone on here today.

anniepea

How were you diagnosed? Were you tested for both viruses - hsv1 as well as hsv2?

I am 55 and acquired it a couple of years ago. It was pretty bad at first but through the years (and the buildup of antibodies) it has gotten less severe. Not sure your if your doctor truly has a lot of knowledge about this virus----most don't.

hi, I would never see a doctor about herpes, I heard when they are trained they are not taught much how to supportive in bedside manners anymore. It is like an assembly line, they just want to give you medication and out of there. Talking on here is much more effective or speaking to a best friend.

Createss Galore
On 10/29/2015 at 1:30 PM, anniepea said:

hi, I would never see a doctor about herpes, I heard when they are trained they are not taught much how to supportive in bedside manners anymore. It is like an assembly line, they just want to give you medication and out of there. Talking on here is much more effective or speaking to a best friend.

I've seen this when going to the doctor with my mom. Just not like it used to be, but then is anything? I've read, on forums like this,  that there are some doctors who specialize or know a lot about herpes. Not sure how to find them while protecting our privacy. I think that most medical personnel have the same terror of it as anyone on the street. Of course there are those who pretend to be terrified to hide that they have it. Can't avoid doctors if you want a diagnosis, unless one is obtained through testing through the Internet.

Edited by Createss Galore

So. Florida

Hello All!  I'm 60 and am in the first few days of my official OB.  23 years ago I was in a relationship that toward the end he cheated and got violent toward me.  During the stress of breaking up/moving out I developed what I called a large pimple at the top of my butt cheek that I showed to my PCP.  He assured me it WAS NOT Herpes but just stress.  He put me on Prozac and here I am 23 yrs later.  I never had any other lumps, bumps or breakouts.  Recently, I had oral sex with the guy I've been dating for 4 mnths (our 1st intimate encounter) and 2 days later I have a cluster ob the size of a quarter on my tailbone.  I have an appt with my OBGYN tomorrow to confirm what I already know.  I've cried, I've yelled and I'm confused.  Why after 23 years?  I feel like I might as well close up shop and never hope for any type of relationship at this point in my life....I feel so "damaged".

LillianPanos

Hi so Florida me in so Florida too me up there in age too. Try to have dr do a swab of the sore to test it for both hsv 1 & hsv2. u must first find out what you have. U can do a igg blood test too but uf u were just now iinfected it probably wont show typically u have to wait 12-16 weeks for igg blood. Most drs dont know this. I not sure if I have hsv 2 or 1 on genitals I did have major ob in march. Have seen a gyno but not thrilled with her have appt in sept with another gyno. You so 

Hello All!  I'm 60 and am in the first few days of my official OB.  23 years ago I was in a relationship that toward the end he cheated and got violent toward me.  During the stress of breaking up/moving out I developed what I called a large pimple at the top of my butt cheek that I showed to my PCP.  He assured me it WAS NOT Herpes but just stress.  He put me on Prozac and here I am 23 yrs later.  I never had any other lumps, bumps or breakouts.  Recently, I had oral sex with the guy I've been dating for 4 mnths (our 1st intimate encounter) and 2 days later I have a cluster ob the size of a quarter on my tailbone.  I have an appt with my OBGYN tomorrow to confirm what I already know.  I've cried, I've yelled and I'm confused.  Why after 23 years?  I feel like I might as well close up shop and never hope for any type of relationship at this point in my life....I feel so "damaged".

fla takes forever to get appts. Keep me posted!

NancyB

Hi,

I was diagnosed last year with HSV 1 in my mouth, very rare, at 68!  I never had cold sores.  I had a severe first exposure reaction and was sick as a dog for almost a year and also got a yeast infection in my esophagus.  I saw countless doctors and no one would believe I had candida in there.  It took me 6 months to get diagnosed with that and another 3 months to get the HSV 1 diagnosis, in spite of my telling all the doctors I saw what I had.  Unbelievable I know.  It took 5 months to clear the candida and I was on Valtrex for 4 months to clear the herpes infection.  It has only been a month since I got off the Valtrex and just had my first recurrence.  I am ready for the basket believe me.  I do not know what you are going through, but I can guess.  My best to you with this awful disease cause it can really suck!  Just ask all the people on this site.  They are here because they were not the lucky ones with few or no symptoms.